Author Topic: End Times!!  (Read 9402 times)

injest

Re: End Times!!
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 11:34:16 pm »
Um, I don't live in the sticks, and I've not heard anyone mention the end times this week.  But then again, I rarely talk to anyone about religion that isn't a more archaeological type discussion.

Why?  Has anything happened recently that hasn't happened before in the last 10,000 years or so?

oops, I wasn't clear...that was supposed to be "No, noone has told me that! Where do YOU live? the sticks?"

:laugh: :laugh:

I don't discuss religion either but people in stores; at the gas pumps; coworkers; friends....just out of the blue.. have been telling me that! No matter what we are discussing...the price of gas, the weather, anything...they say "It's the end times, I tell ya"

::) ::)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 03:57:29 am »
lol.. noone has told me that this week ... or ever - directly!

But for the first time in ages i was home mid week and got a knock on the door... we have an election on thursday for the scottish parliament so i thought it was a candidate but no it was someone asking if I have read the bible lately.. and they weren't Johova Witnesses which is a new one for me.. if someone comes round out door regarding religion its always them... I'm always polite but firm that I'm not interested!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

injest

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 08:02:07 am »
lol.. noone has told me that this week ... or ever - directly!

But for the first time in ages i was home mid week and got a knock on the door... we have an election on thursday for the scottish parliament so i thought it was a candidate but no it was someone asking if I have read the bible lately.. and they weren't Johova Witnesses which is a new one for me.. if someone comes round out door regarding religion its always them... I'm always polite but firm that I'm not interested!

here they ask "If you die today are you going to hell?"

Scott6373

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 08:07:09 am »
here they ask "If you die today are you going to hell?"

I suspect we have been in the "end times" since the first amoeba crawled out of the gene sludge.

injest

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 08:21:46 am »
Makes me think of the Simpsons episode where the Apocalypse happens at the end of the show.   The ground opens up to reveal a set of stairs going down.  Homer sniffs the air:  "Ooo?  do I smell barb-b-que?" 

he runs down the stairs.    Followed by his shreiks and screams.

Homer :"Nooooo!  there's no Cole Slaw?"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

(that is awful!)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 10:39:43 am »
What's so odd about these people who are obsessed with the "End Times" is that they seem to physically live in the 21st century but blissfully hold onto a view of the physical cosmos that's right on the cutting edge of the 1st century C.E.

Example: the notion that when Jesus left the earthly plane he rose up and disappeared in the clouds; that when "The Faithful" are raptured they are going to meet Jesus "in the air" and that Jesus will re-appear out of a cloud when he comes back to reward the righteous (eveyone who believes exactly as the speaker does) and zap the wrongteous upside the head (everybody else).

Not hard to believe in Roman Empire days. The popular idea of the cosmos was that it was something like a three-story house, with Heaven/the gods in a luxury penthouse, Hell/the realm of the dead in the basement and earthly life on the main floor. That view is clearly reflected in the book of Genesis, when the stars and moon are referred to as "lights in the sky." People in biblical times knew that Heaven wasn't right above the clouds - enough people had been on high mountaintops to know that - but they did believe it wasn't very far above that. But as Carl Sagan observed not long ago, if Jesus had actually risen up above the clouds he wouldn't reach any kind of heaven; he would go into orbit.

Every time a natural disaster or high-profile crime happens, the nutsos start prattling about the End Times. I'm rather surprised that there wasn't at least one "religious leader" quoted after the Virginia shootings claiming that it all happened because the US doesn't have sectarian prayer in public schools.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 11:36:30 am »
The next time it happens I plan on saying: "Jesus? He was here about an hour ago, you missed him!"
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 04:34:22 pm »

That will scare a lot of people to death,,,hehe

Beautiful mind

injest

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2007, 06:54:14 pm »
What's so odd about these people who are obsessed with the "End Times" is that they seem to physically live in the 21st century but blissfully hold onto a view of the physical cosmos that's right on the cutting edge of the 1st century C.E.

Example: the notion that when Jesus left the earthly plane he rose up and disappeared in the clouds; that when "The Faithful" are raptured they are going to meet Jesus "in the air" and that Jesus will re-appear out of a cloud when he comes back to reward the righteous (eveyone who believes exactly as the speaker does) and zap the wrongteous upside the head (everybody else).

Not hard to believe in Roman Empire days. The popular idea of the cosmos was that it was something like a three-story house, with Heaven/the gods in a luxury penthouse, Hell/the realm of the dead in the basement and earthly life on the main floor. That view is clearly reflected in the book of Genesis, when the stars and moon are referred to as "lights in the sky." People in biblical times knew that Heaven wasn't right above the clouds - enough people had been on high mountaintops to know that - but they did believe it wasn't very far above that. But as Carl Sagan observed not long ago, if Jesus had actually risen up above the clouds he wouldn't reach any kind of heaven; he would go into orbit.

Every time a natural disaster or high-profile crime happens, the nutsos start prattling about the End Times. I'm rather surprised that there wasn't at least one "religious leader" quoted after the Virginia shootings claiming that it all happened because the US doesn't have sectarian prayer in public schools.

well not a MAJOR well known one...but there were plenty of preachers and news people down here saying it...

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2007, 07:30:21 pm »

There was and she was so offensive, I'm not surprised people hadn't heard.  She pretty much said that due to the lack of godliness these days, most of the people killed in the VT tragedy were going to hell.   >:(