Author Topic: Stupid White Men: Don Imus' Racial Trash  (Read 12555 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Stupid White Men: Don Imus' Racial Trash
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2007, 08:18:27 pm »
Dottie, actually I think you and I are on the same page, and I agree with what you say.

On a sidenote: I do agree that people have a right to speak their minds, no matter how hateful, hurtful or awful their words might be. Freedom of speech is one of our most precious rights in this country. I am always very hurt when someone calls me a "faggot" (or other choice words). But I would always defend this person's right to say it to me. In addition, I would even defend his right to shout it out to entire group of people. We will know for certain that our rights as Americans are gone when people are imprisoned for voicing their opinions.

BUT.....

I don't think people have a right to voice intentionally hurtful and hateful comments on the publicly owned airwaves. This is a gross abuse of a Constitutional right.

Arresting and imprisoning Don Imus for his comments would be an example of denying him his American right to free speech. Firing him for such comments would not be. He has a right to say it. But he should be ready to suffer the consequences should he decide to say it.

I am an accountant for a counseling center. If I went to work one day and cried out "All mentally ill people should be imprisoned or deported", should I be surprised if I was fired for it? What about my right to free speech? But I should be fired, shouldn't I? It was hateful and inappropriate. Not to mention just downright wrong and bigoted.

Now, this is what Don Imus did, but only worse because he did it on the public airwaves. His freedom of speech was not denied to him. He won't be going to jail for what he said. But he should suffer the consequences of making a very stupid and bad decision. 

But, for the most part Dottie, I think you and I agree with each other. We should never deny free speech to anyone, no matter how hateful or stupid it might be.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2007, 08:34:09 pm »
Dottie, actually I think you and I are on the same page, and I agree with what you say.

On a sidenote: I do agree that people have a right to speak their minds, no matter how hateful, hurtful or awful their words might be. Freedom of speech is one of our most precious rights in this country. I am always very hurt when someone calls me a "faggot" (or other choice words). But I would always defend this person's right to say it to me. In addition, I would even defend his right to shout it out to entire group of people. We will know for certain that our rights as Americans are gone when people are imprisoned for voicing their opinions.

BUT.....

I don't think people have a right to voice intentionally hurtful and hateful comments on the publicly owned airwaves. This is a gross abuse of a Constitutional right.

Arresting and imprisoning Don Imus for his comments would be an example of denying him his American right to free speech. Firing him for such comments would not be. He has a right to say it. But he should be ready to suffer the consequences should he decide to say it.

I am an accountant for a counseling center. If I went to work one day and cried out "All mentally ill people should be imprisoned or deported", should I be surprised if I was fired for it? What about my right to free speech? But I should be fired, shouldn't I? It was hateful and inappropriate. Not to mention just downright wrong and bigoted.

Now, this is what Don Imus did, but only worse because he did it on the public airwaves. His freedom of speech was not denied to him. He won't be going to jail for what he said. But he should suffer the consequences of making a very stupid and bad decision. 

But, for the most part Dottie, I think you and I agree with each other. We should never deny free speech to anyone, no matter how hateful or stupid it might be.  :)

EXACTLY you and I are most certainly on the same page. Would it piss me off if I heard some jerk call you a faggot? HELL YES!   Would I be sorely tempted to rip his tonsils out?  YOU BET!   Would I tell him what a small minded foul mouth jerk he is?  IN A NEW YORK MINUTE!   But, does he have a right to publically state his unenlightened, ignorant and hateful opinion....Yep he does
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 03:00:00 pm »
it's interesting timing that the Imus controversy is taking place while the so-called Duke rape case has climaxed. Imus' words are clearly not illegal, yet racist, and he will pay a price on a personal level (most generally econonmic). What's interesting to me is how the Imus affair is being played by the media as a far greater story and racial "offense" than the a outrageously horrible racist bigotry that befell the young men from Duke. These men have endured (and will likely continue to suffer) racism comparable to a 19th century lynch mob, yet we see the country focused on Imus and his stupid line that in actuality harmed only himself.

Scott6373

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2007, 04:48:47 pm »
I heard an interesting radio commentator (ok so he is a sports commentator possesing the Republican brain of a gnat with a lobotomy), who took exception with the Admins and the coaches of the school for "parading" those girls out there in front of the press.  Guess everyone has an opinion...good or bad...it is free speech...almost as misused as free will.

Scott6373

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2007, 05:05:37 pm »
 ;D

So they did have the cajones to do it...good for them
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 10:58:19 am by Scott »

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2007, 05:30:05 pm »
hey scott, I am not understanding your points or the two together....whose cahones and for what?

by the by, sports commentators may not be so bright (who are we do judge?), but most of the media with democrat brains share in the same size malady you mentioned, it seems to me. thanks!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2007, 05:55:23 pm »
;D

So they did have the cahones to do it...good for them

cahones or Cojones? Un buen par de huevos!  ;D
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2007, 06:05:54 pm »
I think we should remember this is not the first time Don Imus has done something like this. He has promised several times in the past to correct himself. He has apologized and made it clear it would not happen again. How many chances should he have? Sooner or later people are going to realize the man is not serious nor sincere in his apologies. He offers a half ass apology to get himself off the hook and within a short period of time he turns around and harshly insults someone else.

He calls himself a shock jock, and maybe he is. But there is a fine line between shocking people and outright bigotry. Once again, Don Imus has crossed that line. It's difficult to forgive someone continuously when it is apparent his or her mea culpa is not sincere and ultimately the person has absolutely no intention of amending their behaviour.

Don Imus has repeatedly insulted African Americans, Gays, Catholics, Jews, Muslims, handicapped people, heavy set people, women and foreigners, just to name a few.

As I pointed out to Dottie, I fully support and would gladly defend his right to Free Speech. But when he uses the public airwaves to advance his bigotry, he should be prepared to suffer the consequences of his actions. The man deserves to be fired. He got what was coming to him. And I applaud the actions of MSNBC and CBS. Hopefully others will think twice before they try to pull a stunt like this in the future.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2007, 10:44:21 am »
Agree, David, and so do hundreds of other so-called entertainers do the same things day in, day out...and they are only encouraged. Imus got nailed because of his sponsors walking. It's a money thing, like always.

Here's a link to an editorial by a black columnist from the Kansas City Star that nails the issue pretty darn on the head, imo, thanks!

http://www.kansascity.com/182/story/66339.html

Scott6373

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2007, 10:58:54 am »
hey scott, I am not understanding your points or the two together....whose cahones and for what?

by the by, sports commentators may not be so bright (who are we do judge?), but most of the media with democrat brains share in the same size malady you mentioned, it seems to me. thanks!

Actually I was referring to the fact that CBS pulled him off the air.