Author Topic: You think of joy, purpose & fullfillment, in Ennis's, Jack's or someone elses ??  (Read 11406 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
What do you think is meant:     "boys like you".        ?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
What do you think is meant:     "boys like you".        ?

I'm guessing Ennis, in his anger and confusion, was lashing out at Jack and repeating some of the language that goes around the stables, the pens, and the bunkhouses where he'd spent much of his life. "Boys like you" is obviously a put-down with homophobic undertones.

LoneleeB, I really loved reading your take on Ennis and his inner turmoil. Written from personal experience, I daresay (sadly). I hope you and we all learn from Ennis and Jack's sad story, and turn our stories into long, happy ones. Not the stuff of epic tragedy, but that's okay with me!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

Merci Front-Ranger!

Your post reveals something about both: Ennis and Jack !!

You think that Ennis saying: Boys like you to Jack, shows that he  (Ennis) is jealous or wants ONLY Jack to himself, or is it something else, at that point and time in both of them ?

Au revoir,
hugs! Glad I am that you are safe!  And, may I ask which agricultural zone are you in, is it like 2B ?

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
I think to be capable of accepting and giving love,you have to be shown love from very early days.We know that Jack at least had some sort of communication and judging by her reaction to his death,a display of love as well, from his mother.He is an only child so does not to have fight siblings for what little love there may have been.

Ennis is much more complex,he had to grow up pretty quickly I suspect after his parents death,then he moves from one family member to another until finally no one has any time or space for him, and this is his family we are talking about here.There seems precious little evidence of love there. It also struck me that he maybe has pretty low self esteem.In the s.s. he really wants to be a sophomore as he feels it holds some sort of distinction to it.The pick up goes so that is the end of that dream.

How can Ennis know how to accept or give love when he seems to have been shown so little in his life.It may well be why he feels comfortable around animals.He has had little chance to be anything much other than a loner.

Jack with his unfailing optimism, in spite of hardship, manages to unlock something deep within Ennis.It as, as has been posted very telling that Ennis says,that's more words than I've spoken in a year. How sad is that. Look at how much we all communicate daily.Think how we would feel if pretty well all communication was denied us.Ennis is slowly learning to enjoy some of life's very simple pleasures.Sitting chatting round a fire,smoking having a few drinks----- "he'd never had such a good time,felt he could paw the white out of the moon"

We are not talking about anything that most of us have enjoyed on numerous occasions well before the age of 19.Seen in that context it is almost inevitable that Ennis would fall in love with Jack. Is he straight,gay or bi? I am not sure of the answer to that.I do know that Ennis fell in love with the first person probably to show him any, attention,the s.s says "they were respectful of each other's opinions" I suspect that this is yet another first, someone who listened to his opinion and gave him some credit for it.

Seen from that perspective,Ennis is like a an orphan who is removed from the only environment he has known and taken under the nurturing wing of Jack.Slowly little bubbles of happiness start to arise to the surface,originally based on the simple bonding by the camp fire.All sorts of emotions and physical feelings are beginning to awaken,but for Ennis there is no reference point.Most of us have experience some form of love by the age of 19.I think for Ennis this is the first real love he has ever been shown or felt. He has no idea how to cope with it,he has only his horrific memories.

Then in an ironic twist, just as he may be starting to relax up on BBM, the idyll is cut short.There is no warning,just like there was no warning when his parents died.Another month up on BB and who knows what may have transpired.I am sure that Ennis is amazed that he actually has the capcity for love,but knowing how to deal with it is another matter.He needed more time under the gentle guidance of Jack.

It is therefore not surprising that he is physically sick when he finally parts from Jack.It is the second time in his life that something has been taken away from him with now warning whatsoever.It can be no coincidence that the phrase lovesick was originally dreamed up.If we think back to our first loves,we probably remember, we cannot eat,or sleep,we feel sick if the promised call does not come.Yet again thoughEnnis cannot process what is happening.He simply has no life experience to compare it to.

He is not without the ability over the course of time to realise what has happened,he shouldn't have let Jack out of his sight.So whether he ever admits it, he knows that he loves Jack.

I often wonder what may have been different,if they had been allowed more time on BBM.Ennis may not have been any more comfortable with the fact that the person he loves is a man, but having found love, even if he could not live with Jack because of the haunting memories,maybe he would not have married Alma.We will never know. I  always find it surprising that in the s.s motel scene,Jack tells Ennis he thinks they nay have been seem.Why ??!!! He already knows how neurotic Ennis is, yet that statement only serves to reinforce that. Also the timing of the revelation when Ennis has , at least for him, bared his soul,saying "I like doin it with  women,yeah,but Jesus H, aint nothing like this.

So I think Ennis, may not have permanant joy or fulfillment,but think how much he would have missed out on, had Jack never entered his life.It goes back to the age old connundrum is it better to have loved and lost,etc. I truly believe, if they had never met,Ennis would have gone through life never knowing the immeasurable pleasure of true love.I am sure it is his love for Jack that allows him to slowly thaw and feel love for his daughters.It is yet another irony, that just as Ennis starts to thaw and relax into his love for Jack, that the frozen snow puts an end to that.

The more I read the story and watch the film,the more I see how very, very clever it is.

The pivotal point to me seems to be the abrupt, cutting short of their time on BBM.

Offline Artiste

Merci beaucoup, yes thanks very much optom !

Your post is marvelous !  I can see you as a professor... in an university, here by your dissertation-like explanations! These are great, by you !!

Just to outline as you say:
          Seen from that perspective, Ennis is like a an orphan who is removed from the only environment he has known and taken under the nurturing wing of Jack. Slowly little bubbles of happiness start to arise to the surface,originally based on the simple bonding by the camp fire.                 

Optom and to all too, do you think, therefore, that one can be actually be removed, to use your expression what he had known as sadness in his youth, to an area of happiness such as Brokeback Mountain becomes for Ennis ?

And is that likewise (a bit maybe too) for Jack ?

In a way, I say yes; in another way, I think no, considering my own life. As examples, when I was in Los Angeles or Quebec City (as well as in other places), I was sad... and became sader when I watched (in Quebec City) often during days: the clip of this Brokeback Mountain movie; why ? - likely because I yearned for such love as Ennis and Jake had - and I did not have my former lover-buddy anymore since he was now in heaven (had died) !! And, I remember that every time I went before his death: to my pal's place ( his house/his home), he and I... were happy !! So, my question is, do we have to be somewhere else in order to be happy ??

Ennis and Jack are always somewhere else ?? !!

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline optom3

Your post is marvelous !  I can see you as a professor... in an university, here by your dissertation-like explanations! These are great, by you !!

Just to outline as you say:
          Seen from that perspective, Ennis is like a an orphan who is removed from the only environment he has known and taken under the nurturing wing of Jack. Slowly little bubbles of happiness start to arise to the surface,originally based on the simple bonding by the camp fire.                 

Optom and to all too, do you think, therefore, that one can be actually be removed, to use your expression what he had known as sadness in his youth, to an area of happiness such as Brokeback Mountain becomes for Ennis ?

And is that likewise (a bit maybe too) for Jack ?

In a way, I say yes; in another way, I think no, considering my own life. As examples, when I was in Los Angeles or Quebec City (as well as in other places), I was sad... and became sader when I watched (in Quebec City) often during days: the clip of this Brokeback Mountain movie; why ? - likely because I yearned for such love as Ennis and Jake had - and I did not have my former lover-buddy anymore since he was now in heaven (had died) !! And, I remember that every time I went before his death: to my pal's place ( his house/his home), he and I... were happy !! So, my question is, do we have to be somewhere else in order to be happy ??

Ennis and Jack are always somewhere else ?? !!

Au revoir,
hugs!

It is not the place per se, that you have to be removed from,but the sitution.Being alone and missing a departed lover,is just as miserable in a 5 star hotel as it is in a shack. It is people, not places that  we derive our love from. How many times do people say, and mean, I would be happy living in a tent with nothing as long as I had you.
Ennis was removed from the place where he first experiences love,ie BBM. It is not however the mountain,glorious though it may be,that he misses,it is the love.
He descends the mountain and is physically sick, because he has left behind his love.
BBM, in all its majesty, is a symbol for the true scale of their love for each other.Just as in the early days of any new love,everything is new and wondrous.It is clean and fresh like the mountain springs.In particular, first love is pure,just like the mountain air.
I do not think it is a coincidence that just as Ennis starts to thaw, and see the capacity he has to love, which almost certainly takes him by surprise, what happens.The snows come early, and everything freezes, including Ennis, who cannot even commit to another summer on BBM.He has not been given long enough to fully embrace what he has discovered.
 So, like a child who first learns to start articulating their love for family members,is thrown into despair and confusion,should those members be removed from them by death,so is Ennis thrown into a spiral of confusion.He is metaphorically falling, as he physically descends the mountain.He has already fought with Jack, in much the same way a younger child resorts to fighting, when they lack the vocabularly to verbalise their feelings.
Equally just as a child who loses something they love.or is refused something they want, may scream until they are sick, so does Ennis show us the depths of his loss.

Had you,Artiste, found a new love,after the loss of your old love,although some places would still hold bad memories for you,the new love would allow you to flourish again in any environment and also help banish some of the more disturbing memories.We only associate with places, because we relate our experiences to those places.That was where I was happiest, or that is where I was most miserable.But the places are interchangable,the lovers are not.

Sometimes we are doubly lucky and the place we were happiest, was also a place of great beauty.That is not always the case though,Some of my most treasured memories, are of a dark and dingy working mens pub,close to where I worked, but the love of my life was sat next to me.
Conversely, some of the most stunning places I have ever been, hold no great place in my memories or heart.They are just pretty places I have visited,and I can look back on them with complete emotional detachment.

So I do think, that if you give and receive true love, you can to a greater extent, be removed from some of the sadness that precedes that.For myself,once I found real love,it allowed me to throw off many of the shackles of my past,the rape,alcoholic husband etc. I hated those people,but as love is merely the flip side of hate,once you flip to the love side, the hate side diminishes considerably and can in fact disappear completely.

Ennis simply did not have enough time, away from his past,which was filled to some degree with hatred, at the base of the mountain, to assimilate and nurture the love he found at the top of the mountain.There are so many expressions and descriptions of love which involve the giddy heights,just as losing love is often referred as plunging to the depths.BBM is a powerful representation of both of those states.
For me, LIfe will always be about people,not places.

Offline Artiste

You post is utmostly beautiful !

I LOVE YOUR POST !!
And among all such beauty, may I note:
                                                      Brokeback Mountain movie, in all its majesty, is a symbol for the true scale of their love for each other !               [/i]

So great is that !

Thanks for caring too,

au revoir,
hugs!

Offline optom3

Oh Artiste I am so touched. You remembered my favourite colour rose is yellow.Bless you for that.Maybe one day you will find a new love and scale the dizzying heights of your own metaphorical mountain.
Love comes to us at any age, in many different guises.Most of all. it tend to come when we least expect it. I frimly believe that the mgnitude of Jack and Enni's love could not have been represented by anything less than the magnificent soaring landscape that is BBM.

I also think it is probably quite deliberate that their love is discovered and consumated on the mountain.In one sense it is pure and simple like the clear mountain air an springs.Yet it alos repersents the massive mountain of public prejusdice they would have to climb to permanantly cement that bond.The former was easy, the latter just a step too far I am afraid.

BBM is a symbol, both of the wondrous, soaring beauty and majesty of their love but also the near impossible obstacles that need to be scaled.they both soar the heights of their passion and plunge the depths of their loss.

Offline Artiste

Merci beaucoup optom!

Again, you marvel me with all your words, including:
...  you      will find a new love and scale the dizzying heights of your own metaphorical mountain.
Love comes to us at any age, in many different guises.Most of all. it tend to come when we least expect it. I frimly believe that the mgnitude of Jack and Enni's love could not have been represented by anything less than the magnificent soaring landscape that is BBM.

Noticed again that I like about your scale references !!

You think that both, Ennis and Jack, did find purpose

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Artiste

But I feel that most people do not think about being joyful, purposeful, fufillment, nor about Ennis nor Jack, nor even about themselves ??