Author Topic: You think of joy, purpose & fullfillment, in Ennis's, Jack's or someone elses ??  (Read 11255 times)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
Because he was overwhelmed with his feelings.
He was so in Love with Jack but he couldn't allow himself to give in.
He had been trying to hold it together all day. Thats why he was sitting alone in the field. WHen he came down and jack was packing up the camp it was like a punch in the stomach. He was thinking he had another month left with his love. Who knows how thngs may have turned out if they had that extra month.
For the firsttime in his life he was truly in love. However the person he fell in love with was a man and he was taught from an early age what happens to people like that. He couldn't allow that to happen not to him but I tink on some level, more importantly, to Jack. I think in Ennis' self loathing homophobic way he was trying to protect the person he holds most dear. I may be wrong but thats how I see it.
He just couldn't hold it together anylonger so he broke.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Thanks loneleeb3 !

Wow, wow, your description is revealing!!

So Ennis was homophobic even then in the shed??
Even if Ennis had many times wonderful times with Jack, even sex, before that scene??
So this was a social difficulty with Ennis, you think?

Hugs!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
Thanks loneleeb3 !

Wow, wow, your description is revealing!!

So Ennis was homophobic even then in the shed??
Even if Ennis had many times wonderful times with Jack, even sex, before that scene??
So this was a social difficulty with Ennis, you think?

Hugs!
Yes, even inthe shed. even the day after they made love. His first words to Jack were "This is a one shot thing we got here. I ain't no queer"
Yes, this is how he was raised. As many of us raised in poor rural America are. Things are very black and white and there is no room for deviation.
It was ingrained in Ennis that he was imprisoned by his upbringing. I don't know that he was ever truly parolled.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Artiste

Thanks loneleeb3 !

You say this:
 I don't know that he was ever truly parolled.

You lost me there... as I do not know this word: parolled.
Please explain that... and more.

Hugs!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
Thanks loneleeb3 !

You say this:
 I don't know that he was ever truly parolled.

You lost me there... as I do not know this word: parolled.
Please explain that... and more.

Hugs!

When one is in prison they are parolled conditionally set free.
Ennis was living in a prison of is own making. the closet as it were. the only one who could free Ennis (parole) from his self imposed prison is Ennis himself. I think he came along way by the end of the movie but only through such bitter and painful loss. I don't think he was truly freed though. He may of come to terms with his true nature but he was still utterly alone. I think he was alone because he was so lost without his Jack. Ijust don't think there was another for Ennis ut Jack.

Offline Artiste

Thanks loneleeb3 !

Wow, you sure describe that very powerfully and so well, if I may say when you say this:
When one is in prison they are parolled conditionally set free.
Ennis was living in a prison of is own making. the closet as it were. the only one who could free Ennis (parole) from his self imposed prison is Ennis himself. I think he came along way by the end of the movie but only through such bitter and painful loss. I don't think he was truly freed though. He may of come to terms with his true nature but he was still utterly alone. I think he was alone because he was so lost without his Jack. Ijust don't think there was another for Ennis but Jack.

May I suggest that was Jack is not only living in prison of his own making,  since society is also a very powerful element in Annie's story!! !! Even in our democratic contries in the USA, Canada, and others,
many gays are killed because they are gay men!! That is to fear being an homosexual person... is always present in our societies!! ?? Anyway, I desire too and want are your views on that??

Hugs!

chelseagirl

I was wondering, if anything to accept love, you have to accept yourself,  Ennis never really did that, it was an ongoing battle with him.  Even before Jack, he was programmed to be a loner.  A very careful person since his childhood, he was really never close to anyone in his life.  shuffled after his parents death from sister to brother, then alone, how in anytime in his life was he ever close to anyone.

Then Jack comes along, Ennis's orientation, (and I don't mean sexual), but his nature of being a loner, was set on its ear.  Jack gave him that closeness that he never had, but Jack was a man, his feeling for him was for a man  I don't his fear was not only they be caught, but his fear was being "boys like you".   His love for Jack ran counter to what he tried to be, and that was someone he wasn't.  He desperately tried to hold on to Jack, but under conditions he only could deal with. 

Ennis is a complicated guy, dealing with so much more than just the fear of discovery, but discovering who he is.

Am I off the mark on this one? 

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
I was wondering, if anything to accept love, you have to accept yourself,  Ennis never really did that, it was an ongoing battle with him.  Even before Jack, he was programmed to be a loner.  A very careful person since his childhood, he was really never close to anyone in his life.  shuffled after his parents death from sister to brother, then alone, how in anytime in his life was he ever close to anyone.

Then Jack comes along, Ennis's orientation, (and I don't mean sexual), but his nature of being a loner, was set on its ear.  Jack gave him that closeness that he never had, but Jack was a man, his feeling for him was for a man  I don't his fear was not only they be caught, but his fear was being "boys like you".   His love for Jack ran counter to what he tried to be, and that was someone he wasn't.  He desperately tried to hold on to Jack, but under conditions he only could deal with. 

Ennis is a complicated guy, dealing with so much more than just the fear of discovery, but discovering who he is.

Am I off the mark on this one? 

No, you certainly are not. I think Jack was the first person (well maybe except for him mother) that actually took an interest in Ennis. And by approaching Ennis so carefully, made that 'discovery' for Ennis about who he is, possible.
This made me think of that very sad line when Ennis said 'Hell, that's more words then I've spoke in the last year'. And he was already engaged to Alma at that point.
The way Ennis changed on the mountain from being shy and taciturn to actually hold up a conversation and even make jokes, illustrates just what a powerfull thing love is.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Artiste

Thanks, thanks chelseagirl, and belbbmfan !!

It is warming to know that love opens a person!!

Noted are some joys. Others??

Hugs!!

Offline Artiste

Guest, since you are wanting maybe to post too, you have to be a member in order to do so (I am told) !

Bienvenue, that's welcome !