Author Topic: Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman finally on DVD!!!  (Read 3039 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman finally on DVD!!!
« on: April 13, 2007, 05:54:14 pm »
I almost had a heart attack at my local DVD store today when I saw that the first 25 episodes of this seminal seventies soap are now available on DVD!  Those of you old enough will remember that gay bars were empty between 11:00-11:30 every night, when this show was on back in 76-77.  I'm very excited to say the least, lol!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074021/

moremojo

Re: Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman finally on DVD!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 05:58:37 pm »
I was a little too young at the time to know about the empty gay bars, but I do remember this show, fondly if at times a bit vaguely. My sister and one of our aunts were tremendous fans; my sister even wept when the show was cancelled, presaging my own reaction to when Brokeback Mountain left local theaters.

I'll have to tell my sister the good news. Thanks for this, oilgun!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 11:53:39 am »
Well, moremojo, it looks like you and I are the only ones who remember the show.  I'm surprised, it was so popular at the time.  I used to have the 45 club mix ("Disco mix") of the theme song, I may still have it somewhere hidden in my stacks of vinyl.

Anyway, I watched the first 3 or four episodes of the DVD and I have to admit that I don't find the show as funny as I remember it being, lol!  Also, the DVD is completely bare-bones which is unfortunate.  It would have been nice to have some commentaries by some of the actors, Louise Lasser, Mary Kay Place, Martin Mull etc and the creator Norman Lear, if he's still alive.

moremojo

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 11:57:17 am »
Well, moremojo, it looks like you and I are the only ones who remember the show.
One of my very best buds, who is also a member of our site, was and is a big fan of the show, and would no doubt find this topic of interest. She probably hasn't seen the thread yet.

I do think Norman Lear is still alive, though he must be pretty aged by now.

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 04:20:18 pm »
I was too young to appreciate the show.

I do remember the spinoff "Fernwood Tonight" with Martin Mull.

Also, Carol Burnett did a hilarious spoof called "Mary Hartford, Mary Hartford".  She made her entrance by coming out of a kitchen cabinet.  Vicki Lawrence played Mary Kay Place.