Author Topic: Do You Have Any Phobias?  (Read 16689 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Do You Have Any Phobias?
« on: April 14, 2007, 05:45:48 pm »
This is a picture of Ronald McDonald through the years. The black and white picture at the bottom is Ronald McDonald from back in 1963.

Now I think I understand where my fear of clowns came from.  >:(

I also have a fear of being alone, although I wouldn't consider it chronic or serious. I just don't like it. I'm not too crazy about storms either; especially thunderstorms.  :P
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Scott6373

Re: Do You Have Any Phobias?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 06:38:05 pm »
Heights don't really bother me but edges freak me out.  I can be near balcony edges, railings, airplane window seats...I go really wild.

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 01:04:26 am »
I'm afraid of heights (acrophobia) if I am not in an enclosed space.  We went to Grand Canyon as a side trip on one of Bob's research summers and I freaked out big time.  I should have guessed, when I was a kid my poor father had to drive the mountain roads on the wrong side of the road so I wouldn't freak out on him...If he had to move back into his lane due to oncoming traffic I would lay on the seat and pray VERY LOUDLY.   I guess you could probably extrapolate it further and say I have a fear of falling

:-\
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 01:08:45 am »
I'm afraid of heights (acrophobia) if I am not in an enclosed space.  We went to Grand Canyon as a side trip on one of Bob's research summers and I freaked out big time.  I should have guessed, when I was a kid my poor father had to drive the mountain roads on the wrong side of the road so I wouldn't freak out on him...If he had to move back into his lane due to oncoming traffic I would lay on the seat and pray VERY LOUDLY.   I guess you could probably extrapolate it further and say I have a fear of falling

:-\

Since you are afraid of heights, are you afraid to fly too Dottie?

My mother had a terrible fear of heights. But she was okay just as long as there was something between her and the drop, such as a wall or railing. So she was comfortable flying because she had a wall between her and the outside. But she hated climbing up step ladders or stairs without railings. In other words, she was more comfortable flying in a plane at 40.000 feet than she was climbing 2 feet up on a step ladder.  ???

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 01:30:31 am »
Since you are afraid of heights, are you afraid to fly too Dottie?

My mother had a terrible fear of heights. But she was okay just as long as there was something between her and the drop, such as a wall or railing. So she was comfortable flying because she had a wall between her and the outside. But she hated climbing up step ladders or stairs without railings. In other words, she was more comfortable flying in a plane at 40.000 feet than she was climbing 2 feet up on a step ladder.  ???

I'm just like your Mom, I'm OK in tall buildings as long they aren't all glass and I have no problem flying but I insist on the aisle seat :-\ but climb a ladder more than 1 or 2 steps, forget it, I never climbed fences when I was a kid, I always used the gate.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

injest

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 01:39:35 am »
I voted other...

my weirdest phobia is of paper cutters...you know the kind they had in school with that big ol guillotine arm?? I was/am SURE that one day...someday, somehow I am gonna lose a finger to one of them!!

but the MAJOR phobia i have is of waterbugs!!! just writing the word gives me the willys!! There used to be one that lived in my front yard and if I came in after dark he would stand at the top of the steps and not let me up! I had to go around to the back to get in! This went on for like FOUR years!! I would run around to the back and get a can of Raid and run out there and it would be too late! he kept outsmarting me! He knew I was going for the Raid so he would wait til I broke and ran for the back door and then he would run and hide HIMSELF!

One morning I got up and the house was shaking....there was one of them in the bathtub bigger than a BUS!! Thank GOD for DON!! (wasn't the one from the porch....musta been one of the gang)

and did you know they FLY!!?? FLY!

and they don't live IN the house so you can't exterminate your house and keep them out...they live in pine trees and Don won't let me hire someone to come in and chop down all the pine trees on our farm!

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 01:40:22 am »
Rats! 
Unfortunately, there are lots of rats in Chicago.
And they are BIG!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 11:53:04 pm by Fran »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 01:55:50 am »
Jess and Fran, your posts made me think of something else. When I lived in Fort Lauderdale Florida, we had little lizards that lived in the bushes. They were really cute, but they would get inside my house sometimes. I guess you could compare them to a mouse. They were cute, but very fast and they would dart across the floor when I wasn't looking.

EWWWWW I hated those things.   >:(

We have lizards here too, but most of the time they don't try to get into the house. We call them "fence runners" because they often sit on fences and railings to sun themselves.

Disgusting little critters.  :P

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 02:07:04 am »

Disgusting little critters.  :P

David, I'd take lizards over rats any day.

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 02:08:15 am »
I ticked fear of flying but not fear of heights, but it's not quite true. Well, I do fly of course but I don't like it. I'm ok when the plane is in the air, but I don't like the taking off and the landing. Also I hate hate it when during the flight the plane starts to shake..

I don't mind heights when they are natural heights. You know, mountains, cliffs, trees. But I go all shaky when I have to climb on ladders or stairs without railing. I'm not panicking, but I like it when it's over!

Fear of animals - well, sharks! Good thing is, you don't meet or see them very ofen... I'm not sure why really. Is it the 'Jaws' films? Though I don't mind watching them.. (not that I do every day..). I remember being in Portugal at the seaside once. I got into the water very hesitantly - from a dock of rocks and the minute I was in the water I saw a finn coming out of the water about 450 yards away. I was out of the water in NO TIME! Then I saw that it was a dolphin! Poor thing! I think it must have got lost, because usually they swim in groups, don't they?

Also, I hate speaking in public!! I'm terryfied, petrified, shaking. Hate it! I used to sing in a choir and when we performed (standing in the front row or not!), I was always kind of paralyzed..

I don't mind spiders, as long as I see them before they see me.. When they are inside my home, I take them and put them outside.

Damn!

j. U. d. E.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 02:18:55 am by j. U. d. E. »
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -