Author Topic: Do You Have Any Phobias?  (Read 16691 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: Do You Have Any Phobias?
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2007, 09:28:54 am »

When I was a child, I thought they might be related to fairies, because I thought their wings looked like those of a fairy.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2007, 03:02:35 pm »
Hey, David, didn't you have an Attack of the 17-Year Cicadas a few years back in Indy?  Or was that more in Cincinnati and Dayton?  My brother lives in Dayton, and he said the sidewacks and roads were covered with them.  You couldn't walk outside without stepping on several, even if you tried not to.  Ewwwww.

Right now in South Florida, the "love bugs" are mating.  So when you drive anywhere on the Turnpike for any length of time, your windshield becomes littered with black and red.  Ugh.  But then again, as my Dad says, "As bad as that is for you, consider how bad their day just got."

Hey Barb. Well, Cincinnati is very close to Indianapolis, so when something happens to them, it happens to us most of the time too. We had a cicaga outbreak in 2004. Northern Indiana will have a 17 year infestation this summer. Unfortunately, there are several cicada "broods" here in Indy, so we experience this 17 year thing every few years! We're due for another infestation next year I think. But we have annual cicadas every year in Indiana. They are emerging earlier this year than normal. I have several flying loose in my house right now!  >:(  >:(

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2007, 03:03:49 pm »
Here's an Australian cicada, David, like the one that flew into my living room last Summer:

They come in different colours, primarily green, yellow and black.

Kerry. Honestly, I don't know how you could possibly think those things are cute.

I don't understand it.  ???

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2007, 03:06:15 pm »
Hey, David, didn't you have an Attack of the 17-Year Cicadas a few years back in Indy?  Or was that more in Cincinnati and Dayton?  My brother lives in Dayton, and he said the sidewacks and roads were covered with them.  You couldn't walk outside without stepping on several, even if you tried not to.  Ewwwww.

Right now in South Florida, the "love bugs" are mating.  So when you drive anywhere on the Turnpike for any length of time, your windshield becomes littered with black and red.  Ugh.  But then again, as my Dad says, "As bad as that is for you, consider how bad their day just got."

Eww! I remember thos love bugs from when I lived in Plantation, Florida (Fort Lauderdale). I put a screen on the front of my car so they wouldn't clog up the motor.  :P

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2007, 06:51:40 pm »
Kerry. Honestly, I don't know how you could possibly think those things are cute.

I don't understand it.  ???

:D I guess they evoke memories of my happy childhood, growing-up in the beach suburbs of Sydney. Most Australians would consider the sound they make to be representative of an Australian Summer. You cannot avoid the sound of cicadas in Australia during Summer. It permeates every aspect of life here during the Summer months, night and day, there's no escaping it. It can be quite deafening in woodland areas, and also in the cities. If you visited Australia at the height of Summer (Dec-Feb), it would be the first sound you would hear as you got off the aeroplane. Unlike American cicadas, however, they don't seem to make a nuisance of themselves here. They don't fall on the ground, to be squished underfoot, and very rarely fly indoors. In fact, even though they can be heard everywhere, they are quite difficult to find, because they live in the treetops. They do appear to provide a great deal of nutritious protein for our beautiful and abundant Australian birdlife. Like all Australian little boys, I bet Heath collected cicadas as a child. We collected them live and swapped them with out friends, keeping them in shoe-boxes. There are several different beautiful colours, the most common of which is the "Green Grocer" (as seen in the pic I posted yesterday) and the Yellow Monday (yellow). The most rare, and therefore most sought-after by the children, is the Black Prince. I've only ever seen a couple of Black Princes in my life.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2007, 02:37:43 am »
:D I guess they evoke memories of my happy childhood, growing-up in the beach suburbs of Sydney. Most Australians would consider the sound they make to be representative of an Australian Summer. You cannot avoid the sound of cicadas in Australia during Summer. It permeates every aspect of life here during the Summer months, night and day, there's no escaping it. It can be quite deafening in woodland areas, and also in the cities. If you visited Australia at the height of Summer (Dec-Feb), it would be the first sound you would hear as you got off the aeroplane. Unlike American cicadas, however, they don't seem to make a nuisance of themselves here. They don't fall on the ground, to be squished underfoot, and very rarely fly indoors. In fact, even though they can be heard everywhere, they are quite difficult to find, because they live in the treetops. They do appear to provide a great deal of nutritious protein for our beautiful and abundant Australian birdlife. Like all Australian little boys, I bet Heath collected cicadas as a child. We collected them live and swapped them with out friends, keeping them in shoe-boxes. There are several different beautiful colours, the most common of which is the "Green Grocer" (as seen in the pic I posted yesterday) and the Yellow Monday (yellow). The most rare, and therefore most sought-after by the children, is the Black Prince. I've only ever seen a couple of Black Princes in my life.  :D

Well, Heath is welcome to come and collect cicadas off of my doorstep anytime he wants!  :D

I just noticed something Kerry. You are 14 posts away from hitting 1000! Shall we look forward to it tonight, or wait until tomorrow?

Either way, I'll reserve a table for you over at the +1000 Posts Club!  :)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2007, 08:52:21 am »
Well, Heath is welcome to come and collect cicadas off of my doorstep anytime he wants!  :D

I just noticed something Kerry. You are 14 posts away from hitting 1000! Shall we look forward to it tonight, or wait until tomorrow?

Either way, I'll reserve a table for you over at the +1000 Posts Club!  :)

Thank ya kindly, David. I look forward to becoming a member of the elite inner circle. Got a long way to go before I catch up with you. Doubt I ever will. I feel genuinely honoured to be a member of BetterMost.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2007, 01:19:29 am »
Thank ya kindly, David. I look forward to becoming a member of the elite inner circle. Got a long way to go before I catch up with you. Doubt I ever will. I feel genuinely honoured to be a member of BetterMost.

Hey! Congratulations buddy!!!

Some people left you messages over at the club!

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,1579.4005.html

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2007, 08:43:54 am »
Hey! Congratulations buddy!!!

Some people left you messages over at the club!

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,1579.4005.html

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Many thanks, David. I just popped over to the 1000+ Club and read the lovely messages there. I feel very honoured.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2007, 08:30:18 pm »
I listed heights, and a certain animal.   I have a fear of large dogs.  Many years ago, I was riding my bike, and some woman in the neighborhood let her three dogs loose.  Two German Sheppards, and a Doberman.  They knocked me off my bike in the middle of the street, and bit me a few times.

I also have a thing about stinging insects.  Bees, hornets, wasps, yellow jackets...hate them all.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!