Author Topic: Notice: Construction Season  (Read 9200 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Notice: Construction Season
« on: April 22, 2006, 05:33:46 pm »
I have had a request to bring the "I Love Everything..." into its own section.  I am considering making a change in here and wanted to get user input on it before proceeding.

BBM Games and Quizzes would be renamed BBM Fun and Games to better reflect some of the additional activities that aren't really a game or a quiz.  Each respective activity would have its own child board, starting with:

1) ABC's & 123's
2) I Love Everything

The main board would have a permanent sticky message explaining how the section is organized for visitors.  The random smaller games and threads could also remain there.  I don't want to bury people in child boards, so I'm also amenable to just adjusting the name of the section and leaving things the way they are right now if more people like that idea.

For a sample of how it might look, check out the BetterMost News & Welcome Center forum.  It has a child board attached.

Let me know.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 12:32:08 pm by Phillip »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Notice: Construction Season
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 05:46:24 pm »
I like those child boards as long as u can get to them from the jump to box at the bottom. And feel free to have the mods move posts around as far as I'm concerned. I never know if I''m putting things in the right place.  Thanks, Phillip! You take such good care of us.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 09:18:59 pm »
Hi Phillip,

Thanks for asking.  Frankly, I'm kind of split.  I like having them all at one glance on the same level, but I do see that it's getting a little unweildy.  So I'd be happy to try out the child board concept and see how it rolls, especially since you mentioned the placing permanently stickyed explanation of the organizational structure at the top of the parent board.

Ann Marie
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 10:17:10 pm »
Being the initiator of many of these new threads and a few others that I would re-introduce here (from our IMDb BBM experiences), I feel like I need to weigh in also.

I appreciate your attempt to change the title to "Fun and Games". However IMO these new threads are not about fun and games either.  They're more like expressions of feelings and opportunities to highlight touching moments and how they relate to us in our lives. I suppose they appear like games in that they are easy and light, - but they're not really fun and games.

Just someone else's opinion

Roland
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 02:29:43 am by Roland »
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

vkm91941

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 10:38:35 pm »
Being the initiator of many of these new threads and a few others that I would re-introduce here (from our IMDb BBM experiences), threads such as the "I'm Sooo like Ennis/Jack/Alma" threads and the "You gotta feel sorry for Ennis/Jack..." I feel like I need to weigh in also.

I appreciate your attempt to change the title to "Fun and Games". However IMO these new threads are not about fun and games either.  They're more like expressions of feelings and opportunities to highlight touching moments and how they relate to us in our lives. I suppose they appear like games in that they are easy and light, - but they're not really fun and games.

I agree with you Roland, they are not actually games more a unique yet fun way starting dailogue and get folks in touch with the more ethereal feelings this film has unleashed, that are sometimes difficult to express.  I also see lots of potential for new threads.  The child board seems best to me with a jump link on the forum page.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 12:11:36 am »
I like the "Fun and Games" naming idea.  Although the "I love everything.." threads may not be strictly considered "Games" they are definitely fun. 

I am alittle bit weary about the "child forum" concept though.  I am pretty content with the way that the forum is at the moment.  When all the threads are visible at once, all the fun and game threads get great exposure and it becomes easy to move from, say, the ABCs game to an "I love everything.." thread without having to enter child forums. 

Just my 2 cents..
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 01:56:06 pm by Lucise »

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 01:50:04 am »
I like the "Fun and Games" naming idea.  Although the "I love everything.." threads may not be striictly considered "Games" they are definitely fun. 

I am alittle bit weary about the "child forum" concept though.  I am pretty content with the way that the forum is at the moment.  When all the threads are visible at once, all the fun and game threads get great exposure and it becomes easy to move from, say, the ABCs game to an "I love everything.." thread without having to enter child forums. 

Just my 2 cents..

I like what Lucise says here.  I don't think it's too unwieldy yet just having it all piled together.  We may get to a point where we want to subdivide, but I don't think we're there yet.

Clarissa

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 10:46:32 am »
Hmm. That's odd. I thought I wrote a post about this last night. Now I can't find it. Well, it was very late ...

Anyway, I'm with Roland and Victoria that the ILE threads are of a different nature than the games threads. They're not wordplay or puzzles, they're about expressing potentially more profound thoughts and emotions. (Sometimes the games elicit profundity, too, but that's not their primary purpose. And sometimes the ILE posts are funny or flippant, but they're also meant to allow for seriousness.)

However, I'm OK with storing the ILEs here as long as they're easily findable. As long as the games forum doesn't grow beyond a page, that shouldn't be a problem. In fact, they may be more findable that way than they would with child boards.

Katherine

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 03:27:51 pm »

Well, as I've said many times before, I am absolutely terrible at coming up with creative names for forums.  My writing strength is not in the "creative writing" wing.  I am always happy to get ideas about better names. 

The early consensus seems to be more towards keeping this section free of child boards for now anyway because the threads do all fit on one forum page.  We just need a better name for the forum to reflect it's interactivity, yet more structured format.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 03:50:48 pm »
Hows about

The lighter side of the mountain

or

Brokeback Lite

Phillip
Maybe you can claim to have limited creativity when it comes to thinking up forum titles, but look around you, at the family that you're taking care of. Pretty damn impressive I'd say!

« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 03:56:11 pm by Roland »
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer