Author Topic: The "I LOVE everything Alma Jr." thread  (Read 5791 times)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
The "I LOVE everything Alma Jr." thread
« on: April 22, 2006, 06:10:05 pm »
In honour of the move to this new location (within the BetterMost world) the I LOVE everything collections expands to other lovely people from BBM. Thus the introduction to The "I LOVE everything Alma Jr." threadAny takers out there?

I LOVE Alma Jr's resemblance to her Dad. Not just the looks but also the manerisms, the shyness.

please keep it to one thought per post, hunh?!?  ;D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 11:42:23 am by Phillip »
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline hermitdave

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • changed forever by brokeback...
Re: roboy's "I love everything Alma Jr." Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 06:19:18 pm »
I love that Alma Jr. seems to have unconditional love for her father.  I believe she wouldhave accepted his love for Jack. She really wanted her father to be happy. She didnt give up on him.
"Whenever Im alone with you, you make me feel like I am whole again. Whenever Im alone with you, you make me feel like I am young again." - The Cure

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 08:18:49 pm »
I love the way Alma Jr.'s face opens up like a flower right after Ennis says, "You know what - I think they can find themselves another cowboy."
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 10:26:32 pm »
I love Alma Jr.'s unexpressive expression -- as if she wanted to convey the information without giving away anything unnecessary -- when she tells Cassie, "You're good enough ..."

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: roboy's "I love everything Alma Jr."
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 09:56:42 pm »
I LOVE how Alma Jr (and Jenny) are more concerned with their daddy's abrupt departure from the Thanksgiving diner, than they are about their mom's discomfiture. Maybe it's just that they see their daddy infrequently, and probably never in a reprobational fashion, as compared to the disciplinarian parent. Still, they skipped the figure skating(!) in order to say goodbye to their obviously distraught father.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

TJ

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 12:05:20 am »
I did not know much of anything about Alma Jr. until I saw the movie and I had read the book first.

I like the characterization of her in the movie but not much is said about her in the book. We don't even know which daughter got married in Annie Proulx's story; we only know that Ennis had a married daughter at the real end of the story.

vkm91941

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 04:48:21 am »
I love the way Alma Jr convienently forgets her sweater, I like to think she forgot on purpose so she has a "reason" to go back and see her Dad again that would not embarrass him. ( I had an Uncle like this, to just come by because I love you would have embarrassed this strong silent man terribly)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 04:55:55 am by vkm91941 »

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 08:11:27 pm »
I love Alma Jr. because she seems very smart and lost in thought all the time.  At least in the way she's portrayed she appears very perceptive.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Ellemeno

Re: The "I LOVE everything Alma Jr." thread
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 06:17:21 pm »
I love that Alma Jr. needs crayons.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
Re: The "I LOVE everything Alma Jr." thread
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 01:08:24 am »
I love Alma Jr. because just after Ennis asks if Kurt loves her, and then pauses for a long emotional moment thinking of Jack, Alma Jr. smiles and says, "Yes, Daddy, he loves me." But the look she gives Ennis is a little longer and a little more intense and her tone slightly more gentle than the exchange really calls for. She's not thinking about Kurt at that moment. She is watching Ennis' reaction and knows, or at least sort of understands, what it's about.