Author Topic: The Ties that Bind  (Read 19458 times)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
The Ties that Bind
« on: April 16, 2007, 04:35:57 pm »
http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/1057163.html

If you don't have enough kink in your life, try this new fic by Wannabebrit. It has just started so if you are a wait-til-it's-finished kind a person (I try to be but just can't resist reading every new one that pops up)  keep it on the back-burner. If you like to torture yourself waiting for updates, chapters 1 and 2 are posted. It is AU!AU with Jack in NYC moving in with Ennis after his (Jack's) apartment is sold. Mr. delMar is quite the enigma and curiosity just might get our Jack into some serious, um, trouble.

Somebody read it and let's dish.

roux the  O0

Heathen

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
Re: The Ties that Bind
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 06:14:06 pm »
Hey, Roux -

SPOILER

Yeah, just from skimming the comments, it's obvious that Wannabebrit has pushed a lot of buttons with this one,  ;D and I can see why:

“Ain’t no one breaking me, Ennis.” Jack resisted the urge to reach out, and pull Ennis forward, and kiss him, touch him, do anything to him. He wanted to see just where this was going. He felt like he was on the edge of a cliff, about to either fly or fall.

“No, I don’t believe in breaking in something that’s so resistant to it. Sometimes it’s better to let the animal go. Some are just better in the wild. But what I like most is taking something wild and earning its trust, letting it allow me to take the reins, and showing it what we can do together.” Ennis paused, and ran his hand down Jack’s arms, their hands touching, as Ennis pulled him away from the door. “I don’t like anything tame, never have.”   

Guh.  The second chapter followed the first pretty quickly, let's hope the third follows suit. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 07:02:10 pm »
She did a great job setting this up-the end of chapter two just sizzled. I was afraid to read DrugDealer!Jack and that turned out to be one of my most fave fics out there. I'm curious to see just how far Wannabebrit goes with this...

Heathen

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 10:43:52 pm »
Oh man, roux!! I had to sign in for a minute to rec this fic. I'm loving it so far!

The beautiful thing about this, is every single sentence seems to have a double meaning. Ennis giving Jack the water bottle but not taking one for himself because "I know my limits, but I don't know yours"... uh, *thud*

and the entire conversation about Sage being obediant. Then the wild stalion... um, I really don't even have words. This fic has me hook, line and sinker.

Alexis is definitely going to ruffle some feathers with this one though. I just really hope people will go in with open minds and realize that BDSM doesn't fit the stereotypes and stigmas most people think of and that, a lot of times, it isn't even about sex, but trust and loving relationships and mutual consent so that both partners get what they want out of the situation.

The biggest complaint I'm seeing so far is "Jack is the submissive one, again" and "Jack is in the feminine role". I wish people would stop thinking with those stereotypes though and realize that being the submissive partner in BDSM doesn't exactly mean what it sounds like. The sub is actually the one with the most power because they give permission and allow everything to happen and say when to stop. Without the sub allowing the use of his/her body, nothing could happen. The dom's pleasure is entirely dependant on the sub allowing it.

Anyway, sorry to rant about that, but some of the discussion I've been seeing about this story has been frustrating me. I think this is going to be a very interesting ride!
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 10:44:42 pm »
oh, and she said she'll have the third out either tomorrow or wednesday! Yippee!
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 02:26:54 am »
Mandy-

So true about the dual meanings throughout the story thus far. Such a great portent of things to come and a subtle look into the being of  Ennis. And yes, peeps need to get over that whole defensiveness about Jack's "role". Hopefully the story will be a source of education and allow people to more beyond their stereotypes.

I suspect the controversy will be a bit more low-key here then it will be at, say, DC. Curious to see what happens at LJ.

I say "go on with your bad self" Alexis!

p.s. Minchout remains the queen of the totally-suck-you-in-immediately

Heathen

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 06:46:08 am »
I just gave this story a quick run through. Very intriguing beginning, I have to say! I have enjoyed Alexis's other stories, looking forward to more of this one.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 07:21:54 pm »
Chapter three is up now and I have to say that is the hottest thing I think I have ever read, Bob better look out I may rip his clothes off when he walks in the door tonight...between a 3 day absence and that HOT HOT story, whew!  Not sure how I'm gonna feel about S&M and Bondage part but I totally get the D/s thing. ::)
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 12:49:15 am »
Dottie-I wanted to post a comment after reading it but I was totally speechless. That story has an undercurrent of intensity that is messing with my mind-and body  ;D

O0

Heathen

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 02:07:30 am »
Dottie-I wanted to post a comment after reading it but I was totally speechless. That story has an undercurrent of intensity that is messing with my mind-and body  ;D

O0

Oh yes!  Very Intense.  I read Jack as..well Jack, ya know..but this Ennis, I LOVE this Ennis.  So sexy, so intense but still so Ennis.  I guess, it's the college educated, city dwelling, money in the bank Ennis  ;) the one who's become cosmoplitan enough to be comfortable with his sexuality.  Love Him.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 07:10:31 am »
To help you all out, here's a link to chapter three:

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/1065829.html#cutid1

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 12:52:31 am »
http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/1072458.html#cutid1  Chapter 4 is up and OMG what a Chapter  it is, Hot, steamy and intense...not for the less adventurous or the faint of heart.... I<a href="http://plugin.smileycentral.com/http%253A%252F%252Fwww.smileycentral.com%252F%253Fpartner%253DZSzeb008%255FZNxdm824JGUS%2526i%253D1%252F1%255F4%255F126%2526feat%253Dprof/page.html" target="_blank">SmileyCentral.com" border="0[/url]

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 11:29:20 am »
The biggest complaint I'm seeing so far is "Jack is the submissive one, again" and "Jack is in the feminine role". I wish people would stop thinking with those stereotypes though and realize that being the submissive partner in BDSM doesn't exactly mean what it sounds like. The sub is actually the one with the most power because they give permission and allow everything to happen and say when to stop. Without the sub allowing the use of his/her body, nothing could happen. The dom's pleasure is entirely dependent on the sub allowing it.

TOTALLY agree Mandy - I think this is a very autonomous Jack - he's a survivor. OS Jack took the risk of being tossed by a bull over and over again and in TTTB he is taking risks once again.

LOVE this..... cc33

Offline cathyinaz

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 07:55:21 pm »
I think that this story is one of the hottest stories I have seen in awhile and I am not at all sure that Jack is only going to "bottom" on this one, he seems to be doing a lot of the forward motion in this relationship (as usual).

I can't wait for an update on this story.

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2007, 02:03:21 pm »

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 02:35:17 am »

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2007, 11:12:54 pm »
I'm just *ded* after reading the latest chapter. Truly amazing story and writing.

Offline cathyinaz

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 12:22:36 am »
Any news on when to expect the next chapter of TTTB? I am chewing my nails and waiting in anticipation!!!

Will begging help? ;)

Offline KittieKat

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 05:33:39 pm »
I thought I saw in another forum that she hopes to have the next chapter up tomorrow. 

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2007, 06:50:44 pm »
TWO, yep 2 new chapters up.... Chapters 7 & 8  ;D  and boy are they Goooooood!  ;)

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/tag/the+ties+that+bind

Offline cathyinaz

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2007, 08:01:36 pm »
Is there any news when an TTTB update is to be expected? I am waiting anxiously.  ???

Offline KittieKat

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2007, 09:47:57 pm »
Some time this week if memory serves.  Definitely not today, anyway.

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2007, 01:28:09 am »
I keep checking every day but still no update  :'(  I'm going thru withdrawl

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 03:32:28 pm »
Anyone hear anything about when we can expect the next update?  Nothing since May 19 and it's killing me  :(

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2007, 03:37:52 pm »
Alexis has promised that she is working hard and hopes to have something very soon.

L

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2007, 06:23:33 pm »

it looks like a lot of writers are taking a summer sabatical..  They did it last summer...Alexis, Siennata, Beatrice and many others..Its probably the weather..outdoor stuff taking precedence.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 02:05:39 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline cathyinaz

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2007, 11:12:00 pm »
Here I thought it was just me thinking that there has been a slowdown lately on many of my favorite fics. As long as it is just a summer break, I think that I can survive it (chews on fingers nervously).

TTTB is one of my favorites, I'm glad she is working on it.

Offline cathyinaz

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2007, 03:21:40 pm »

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2007, 07:44:33 pm »
Wooo Hooo  ;D

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2007, 02:30:25 am »
This new chapter is amazing, heck the whole story is amazing.  Never read anything like and  I can't wait for more  ::)

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2007, 11:23:07 am »
I started reading this one on the plane to Colorado, and I'm hooked.

I love the tension she has going on between J & E.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline cathyinaz

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2007, 03:32:51 am »
Any news on an update??? ???

Offline cathyinaz

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2007, 10:37:52 pm »
An update! Happy Dance!  ;D   Chapter 10 up at LJ.

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/1283063.html#cutid1

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2007, 09:59:38 am »
OMG that was HOT! 

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2007, 01:37:06 am »
Still checking every day or two for an update....I know it's too soon but a girl can hope  ;)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2007, 12:31:44 pm »

Come on Alexis, your fans await...                       janice

Beautiful mind

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2007, 09:49:24 pm »
still no update!  It's been so long ::sniff & sigh::

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2007, 10:46:04 pm »
Well, there was just an update to Fortunate Son in the last few days.  So, it's great to see that she's definitely busy writing.  I really like all of her stories.  They're all so different.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2007, 05:18:02 pm »
It's soon two months now and still no update  :'(  I really hate it when the muse causes a writer to abandon one story and start another before they finish  >:(  Same thing happend with Camden Yards.   But I guess that's what keeps some of the better fan fiction writes from becoming professional writers...that inability to focus to the end.  OH Well I'll give it one more month before I give up completely.

Maybe it's getting to be time to move on from all this anyway  :-\

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2007, 02:05:02 am »
It's soon two months now and still no update  :'(  I really hate it when the muse causes a writer to abandon one story and start another before they finish  >:(  Same thing happend with Camden Yards.   But I guess that's what keeps some of the better fan fiction writes from becoming professional writers...that inability to focus to the end.  OH Well I'll give it one more month before I give up completely.

Maybe it's getting to be time to move on from all this anyway  :-\

I completly agree with you. This really pisses me off too. I understand that we have RL too away from the fantasy world of fan fic, but it would be nice, not to mention manners, if the author could just post a short sentence saying something like, RL issues are getting in the way of fan fic and they will be unable to update for a while. That way you wouldn,t keep checking. Then SOME authors, not ALL, some, have the cheek to moan that no one is commenting on their work. Well if they can,t  even have the common curtesy to post us, the ones who read it, a short note, why the hell should we bother?  >:( >:( >:(

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2007, 09:57:37 am »
Well, Fortunate Son isn't a new story... it's been in the works for quite a long time.  She has several stories in progress at the moment including one of my favorites called All I Want, which has also been in the works for a long time. 

I understand that waiting can be frustrating, but I also think it's reasonable to expect a writer to jump around and work on their different stories at different paces and times.  As we all know, a lot of authors here work on multiple stories at once.  I think it's a positive sign when any one of the stories is updated because it shows continued motivation and excitement for writing.

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2007, 12:10:27 pm »
Well, Fortunate Son isn't a new story... it's been in the works for quite a long time.  She has several stories in progress at the moment including one of my favorites called All I Want, which has also been in the works for a long time. 

I understand that waiting can be frustrating, but I also think it's reasonable to expect a writer to jump around and work on their different stories at different paces and times.  As we all know, a lot of authors here work on multiple stories at once.  I think it's a positive sign when any one of the stories is updated because it shows continued motivation and excitement for writing.

Well, we will have to agree to disagree on this one.  This jumping around that fan fiction writers do is the major reason I have always avoid fan fiction before and I am learning a bitter lesson now.  I don't find it reasonable to get a lot of people involved in a story line and then shift to another one before you've finished, leaving your readers hanging often for months at a time, and yet still expect them to be there if and when you decided to add another chapter.  Wither it be Fortunate Son, All I Want or The Ties That Bind....I find it rude and insensitive to the readers.   

I understand these are not professional writers, most of the time they get an idea and write on the fly, dashing off chapter after chapter without benefit of outline or having thought the story out in advance.  This is most often the reason a vast majority of serial fan fictions are never finished, have an abrupt unsatisfying ending or are abandoned completely.  I'm NOT putting them down I am saying I was right in my initial reaction to fan fiction... it isn't for me.  I like a story with a beginning a middle and an end and if I take the time to become emotionally involved with the characters than I want the writer to see it through. 

I think I need to stick with published authors hence forth.  It really is time to be moving on from this BBM obsession.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2007, 02:18:25 pm »
one thing that readers often do, Dot, is to stick with "finished works", and in this fandom there are quite a number of them.  Not every author abandons their work, but recently, I would say the past three months or so, many authors, whether it be personal disillusionment, quarrelling within the fandom, or the demands of real life, have stopped writing, abandoned their stories for something else, or found other things to do.

This does happen in the "published" world as well, an author will get an advance for a book and simply never complete it, leaving the publishers to pursue them for the advance money once the original schedule gets broken.  That is an endemic problem with the creative arts, though I am sure it happens far more often in the amateur, unpaid world!

I will add, too, that there are a small number of works in the BBM fandom which were not completed due to legal pressure from lawyers for Annie Proulx.  This pressure may also have scared away other serious fandom authors who were afraid of getting a lawyer letter.  I myself got one, and my response was to rewrite my stories, and I am spending much of my energy rewriting and editing rather than cranking out new tales.  But the ones I wrote, I finished.  All nine books plus a number of stories.  Works that were interrupted due to legal action were:  Force of Nature, the sequel to the completed "Somebody New" by Jenna Sinclair, and "An Uneventful Life" by no_reins, a sequel to the completed "Riding Fence."  The originals of these stories, like my former Laramie Saga, are no longer available in the fandom.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 02:38:51 pm by louise van hine »
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline blacktears

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Hudson Heartbreak
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2007, 12:05:45 am »
Well, we will have to agree to disagree on this one.  This jumping around that fan fiction writers do is the major reason I have always avoid fan fiction before and I am learning a bitter lesson now.  I don't find it reasonable to get a lot of people involved in a story line and then shift to another one before you've finished, leaving your readers hanging often for months at a time, and yet still expect them to be there if and when you decided to add another chapter.  Wither it be Fortunate Son, All I Want or The Ties That Bind....I find it rude and insensitive to the readers.   

I understand these are not professional writers, most of the time they get an idea and write on the fly, dashing off chapter after chapter without benefit of outline or having thought the story out in advance.  This is most often the reason a vast majority of serial fan fictions are never finished, have an abrupt unsatisfying ending or are abandoned completely.  I'm NOT putting them down I am saying I was right in my initial reaction to fan fiction... it isn't for me.  I like a story with a beginning a middle and an end and if I take the time to become emotionally involved with the characters than I want the writer to see it through. 

I think I need to stick with published authors hence forth.  It really is time to be moving on from this BBM obsession.

I'm not an author in the Brokeback fandom but I have written in other fandoms and original things and I can only say that unless you write, its very hard to understand the process. An author can't just stop the voices from coming on a new story or idea and really, the work you are invested in as a reader suffers more if they DON'T listen to those voices because the pipes need to be cleaned out before they can continue writing works already in progress and giving it their full attention.

I can understand your frustration, but it seems you may have more of an issue with your own obsession with the fandom than the actual writing itself which is something I think we've all gone through. I would just gently remind you that these authors are not getting paid and to try to be as understanding as you can. I for one think its fantastic most of our best authors such as Wannabebrit are bursting forth with so many ideas that they write more than one story. That's more for us to enjoy, whether its two weeks or two months between updates.

We are very spoiled in the Brokeback fandom. In my other fandoms, it's sometimes 6 months between updates and here most of the stories update fairly frequently and trust me, 2 months is frequently in any fandom for a story to update, especially when the author is writing 2 or 3 other stories. So yes we are very spoiled in the Brokeback fandom.

And it is my understanding that Camden Yards is still being updated as are her other stories, perhaps not at the pace we would like but they are there and she has said she will finish them as does Wannabebrit with her three stories. And most of the stories I have read in this fandom DO have a beginning, middle and end and though we may not always like the ending, most authors have given us at least that. And I am grateful for it.

I don't find it rude, I just try to understand the creative process and I can't make demands of an author even if they don't let me know why or when or the what if of their posting schedule. I just feel lucky to be able to read. Novels can take years to finish, a chapter every two months seems fairly reasonable to me.

It just sort of sounds like your issue is with fan fic in general, that it wasn't (or perhaps it was?) what you expected. It sounds like you would be happier just reading published works and if you are, that's great. There are billions of fascinating, finished books out there for you to check out. Please let us know what you're reading in the future (I believe there is a book thread here for that.)  :)
Proud Supporter, Writer, and Reader of RPS

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2007, 12:18:07 am »
I for one think its fantastic most of our best authors such as Wannabebrit are bursting forth with so many ideas that they write more than one story. That's more for us to enjoy, whether its two weeks or two months between updates.

I completely agree with this.  It makes perfect sense to me that Ties that Bind has been on hold a bit (perhaps) because Fortunate Son was being updated.  I think it's a good sign that this author is still very active and inspired to write.  I also agree that patience is in order when it comes to authors who are doing this for its own sake and not for a paycheck.  I think there's actually something really exciting about that aspect of fanfic.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2007, 10:22:05 am »
very interesting information about the perspective of other fandoms. I didn't know that it took so long for story updates in other areas, because I haven't had a lot of contact with other fandoms.

I can say that when I have explored some other fandom story links, I find nothing but unfinished fics!  Some of them haven't been updated in a year or more!  without explanation or apology.  So it could be that in BBM we are quite QUITE spoiled!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline alexisg

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2007, 07:57:18 pm »
Hey guys -

I don't really post in forums much anymore, but someone directed me over here, and said that folks were frustrated that I wasn't updating TTTB.  I am genuinely sorry you are waiting.   I do try to keep folks updated over at EnnisJack, where I will pop in from time to time. 

There are many writers who can stick to an update schedule, due to the flexibility of their work schedules and commitments.  I am not one of those writers.  I try to update on a pretty regular basis, as I can.  And there were always be times when I am more able to put chapters out every 2 to 3 weeks.  Right now is not one of those times. I also have a very limited amount of time to write, due to life and work commitments, which only get worse for me as the year-end approaches, due to the nature of my job.  However, I always finish what I start, and I don't abandon a story.

I think someone here mentioned other fandoms.  In my other fandoms, waiting a month, two or even more was is not unheard of.  Also, on the flip side, sometimes you'd wait a year for someone to finish and post a story.  Brokeback fandom is very serialized, more so than any fandom I've been involved in.  I always feel quite lucky as a reader to get as many updates we do still.

So in short, I am sorry you are frustrated.  And if you choose to stop reading, that's okay.  I'll still keep posting, and if you want to swing back around when the story is finished, and take a read, it will still be there.

Be well.

Alexis (wannabebrit)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2007, 08:25:18 pm »

Hi Alexis,

Thanks for stopping in!  It's great to see you here.  As I've said in earlier posts I think it's no real hardship to be patient.  So, I hope you don't feel too pressured.  And, it's completely understandable that there are times when you can write a lot and other times when you need time for other things.
Thanks for all the great writing in all your stories.

cheers,
Amanda
 :)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2007, 10:02:31 pm »

Thanks for the report Alexis...I cant wait to see your next update, no matter what it is...
                                                                                     janice

Beautiful mind

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2007, 12:57:18 pm »
Thanks, Alexis.  As Amanda said, I think it's no real hardship to be patient, either, for such wonderful stories.  And like Janice, I look forward to whatever - and whenever - you update. 

What a gracious post.  You're a class act. 

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

mvansand76

« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2007, 02:47:30 pm »
Thanks for popping in here Alexis... I am not reading TTTB and AIW (but as I heard from others I should, so I will jump on the bandwagon soon when I have the time), but I love Fortunate Son and I was thrilled to see an update for that a while back. It's one of the most interesting fics out there just because of the unique dynamic between Ennis and Jack, and even though it depresses the hell out of me how Jack is now, it's also very interesting to read.

Anyway, what I wanted to add to this discussion. I write three stories right now, one of which is finishing up, and I always discuss writing with my boyfriend who is a painter and is working on 6 different paintings right now. If he doesn't feel inspired to continue one painting, then he will move on to the other, and this ALWAYS benefits his works, because when he comes back to the work he abandoned, he can always look at it with a fresh point of view. It's exactly the same thing with writing, if an author abandons a work, it's not for small reasons, it's because they have to let it rest for a while and then come back to it and know exactly what the story needs to continue.

Mel

Offline pettifogger

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Just passin through
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2007, 07:36:05 pm »
if an author abandons a work, it's not for small reasons, it's because they have to let it rest for a while and then come back to it and know exactly what the story needs to continue.

Mel

I think you have hit on the very reason that Ms Matrix, and many others I am sure, finds serialized fan fictions so unsatisfying.  I think it is a tribute to the authors skill that any reader would become frustrated and upset by the lack of update.  It is not an insult it is in fact the highest of compliments.  IMO

On the other hand I have spent time recently perusing fan fictions from Brokeback Mountain and several other stories and I have to say my experience is that there are many unfinished stories out there, quite a few obviously abandoned.  That is the nature of the medium just as much as it's over the top sexuality.
You and I are travelers just passing through this earth

mvansand76

« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2007, 12:55:41 pm »
On the other hand I have spent time recently perusing fan fictions from Brokeback Mountain and several other stories and I have to say my experience is that there are many unfinished stories out there, quite a few obviously abandoned.  That is the nature of the medium just as much as it's over the top sexuality.

I'm sorry, but I don't think over-the-top sexuality is the nature of the medium (with the medium I take it you mean BBM fanfic). Yes, some stories have a lot of sex in it, and some of the sex is quite graphic or over-the-top, but there's also a lot of stories who go for a functional use of sex scenes and some don't have sex at all. It's the choice of the reader if he or she wants to read it or not. There's something for everybody out there and the rating system works pretty well in the fandom.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2007, 02:45:48 pm »
It depends on the words you are using to describe the works.  Snavel is right that there are books that have little to no graphic sex in them, however, the nature of "Slash" is meant to indicate a romantic and/or sexual relationship between the chief characters.  In its original context, the slash pairing would make a romantic relationship occur that did not happen in the canon, i.e. Kirk having a gay relationship with Spock as one of the oldest and best-known examples.  BBM is exceptional in this respect that there is a sexual relationship between the chief characters in the canon story, and the fan fictions (which are not technically 'slash' but rather alternate universe or extrapolations) make the relationship more explicit and extended.

I do think that characterizing the sexual situations as "over the top" is definitely a personal opinion, however!

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2007, 02:32:11 am »
Well I can see where the uninitiated might think the sexuality is over the top in some cases since it is sometimes very frank and very graphic.  The motivation in a lot of slash is that the sexual element of the story often is not satisfying or non exsistent in the canon as Louise said.  I've been aroung the block a few times in my 45+ years and I have to admit I've learned a thing or two, been enthralled and disgusted by things written in slash.

This story deals with S & M and I was a little cautious when I began to read but I have to say it is some of the best written erotic I have ever encountered and the sexuality expressed is appropriate to the story and the characters.  Not only that but it is some of the hottest I've ever seen.. Alexis is a very talented and imaginative writer and I never meant to imply otherwise...only to express my frustrations with the delay and the genre of fan fiction  in general.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2007, 09:40:51 pm »
Update!

I haven't read this yet... but I happened to notice over at brokebackslash that this was just updated.

Chapter 11
http://wannabestories.livejournal.com/13445.html

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2007, 12:26:37 pm »
Here's an interlude that was posted a few days ago...

http://wannabestories.livejournal.com/14137.html

Leslie

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2008, 08:31:21 pm »
It seems that the desire to finish many stories has left many of our fan fiction writers in spite of their best intentions to finish.  Between real life getting in the way, the loss of Heath Ledger and our increasing distance from our personal BBM obsessions and euphoria it appears that many stories will not be finished.  I'm sorry to see that, I do understand but am non-the-less disappointed.  This story in particular was fascinating, it explored a way of life and lifestyle that few of us have any real connect to.  I wish we could have seen this one play out to it's natural conclusion as envision by the author rather than just in my imagination.   :'(