Author Topic: TOTW 16/07: Did Alma Jr. know Ennis was gay?  (Read 74615 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: TOTW 16/07: Did Alma Jr. know Ennis was gay?
« Reply #190 on: December 14, 2007, 11:43:50 am »
Thanks Phillip!

You say this: I agree that all of these issues are important.  Discussions about the story itself and its impact are quite appropriate in this forum.  Discussions about broader gay and lesbian issues should be raised in our Safe Haven forum.  If there is a political issue about anti-gay or anti-women matters, that belongs in the Current Events forum.  And issues that focus on your own life and experiences are best placed in your personal blog in Our Daily Thoughts.  That's where we all talk about what is going on in our daily lives and the problems we face.  I realize English is not your first/primary language, so if you have any questions about where a message would work best, just send me a note (or any of our moderators) and we'll be happy to guide you. It makes things better for everyone, and I am certain people will appreciate your effort.  I thank you!

Phillip, I agree with you with your two first sentences, but I do not do so nescessarily with your other ones, concerning placing in the right place, if I read you right! To those who do not like at all discussions about gay and lesbian issues on any other places but Current Events or Safe Heven, that is their problems and should not be ours (ours as were are gay and lesbians, bi- or otherwise)! Even though we do and could try to place those subjects in there: Current Events and Safe Heven!! Gay and lesbian subjects, to me, touches everyday lives, everyone (even straights or otherwise), and all (or nearly all... at least) issues about life; so, we want that freedom on Bettermost, totally, since to moi and to many others in the world from what I see on Bettermost by many members and non-members, that is what Annie says by her book: freedom to be gay, lesbian, other sexual orientations too, plus she does accent (or at least via the BM movie), female issues such as being a woman and/or a wife, and likely much more (I can not say that much on that since I a male person), and I assure everyone and certainly females on Bettermost that I learned greatly surprisingly from ladies on Bettermost concerning their issues whether if I liked them or not (as subjects which I started too later on), so I opened myself now to that reading their openness to us gays and to other femme issues. I repeat that we can not only stray with such issues of gay and female issues (if I may use that term) by limiting ourselves to Daily Thoughts!! By the way, in Daily Thoughts: we are too limited there; because one can only have each member one question there and I accept that as it gives a chance to every member (or most?); we need better still maybe that method (Daily Thoughts) ((nothing against it's moderator)) as I feel that we can increase its effectiveness somehow (I think that it used to be very populor and may still be??), so that all member can add there, plus all who want more that one question be posed can being a member!!

I must go as the gaz co. man is here. Maybe I will add or explain better later...

Awaiting your news,
hugs!!

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #191 on: December 14, 2007, 12:05:04 pm »
Why don't we put this up for a vote so we know what thread participants think.  Should discussions in these TOTW threads be limited to the subject of the thread or should they be allowed to become more broad-themed and conversational.

I'll have one of the mods create a poll and make it its own thread, so we can discuss this issue there and let this topic get back... on topic.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Artiste

« Reply #192 on: December 14, 2007, 03:59:09 pm »
Thanks Phillip!

After finishing urgently washing mother's floors, I am quickly reading your reply. I do not think that is the solution, yet herein: Inserted Quote
Why don't we put this up for a vote so we know what thread participants think.  Should discussions in these TOTW threads be limited to the subject of the thread or should they be allowed to become more broad-themed and conversational.

I'll have one of the mods create a poll and make it its own thread, so we can discuss this issue there and let this topic get back... on topic.

My immediate reaction to that is that that will closet case us, maybe too much!! After all, the BM movie and Annie's book opens the closet, not only gay closets as well as women issues, and about violence or peace, but educates too in many wondrous ways like bigots, maybe murderers even to stop or not start killing humans, etc., in reaching times!! My main point here is that straights as well as gays (and others), we all need to be educated, and help each other!! Right?? I think it better for those who are interested to enlarge a topic... should be given that choice, and those who prefer to restrict it will surely right away do, or later on adapt, or keep on being ignorant (for the lack of a better word, if I may say, and that is no offence to any person, as I do not understand certain things never neither, but some I learn about and become not only knowledgeable with another here or with others but participate much more in life's wonders and joys!!). So, I prefer that we find many ways to help each other, as we already have started that, but guess we need more??

Note that Alma Jr. could and in some ways is like her mother; she is also luckily learned as she was loved by her father caring for her, plus she educated herself to love her father even if she or not knows that her father prefers another man (Jack)... or if and when he is in pain, she helps: she listens!!

I welcome you and others too to say what you want too,

hugs!! Must rush... see you and all later!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #193 on: December 15, 2007, 08:58:11 pm »

I personally am not the least bit embarrassed or upset at being admonished if I  stray off topic. And for myself I will certainly try to stay strictly on topic for the future.

But that does beg the question, how strictly does one define "on topic"? And who does the defining? 

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #194 on: December 15, 2007, 09:10:48 pm »
Brokeplex, we mods are in the process of putting the finishing touches on a poll that will ask BetterMost members how they feel about this on-topic issue. It will present several gradations of on-topic strictness, ranging from one extreme to the other with a few options in between, and people can state their preferences.

It will be fun to see how people feel about this! :D

In the meantime, you needn't worry about the occasional brief detour. We all do that from time to time. It's more extreme cases of topic-wandering that have led some of us to examine the issue more closely.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #195 on: December 15, 2007, 09:29:24 pm »
sounds good to me.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #196 on: December 16, 2007, 06:24:36 pm »
Freedom so far on bettermost, and may it continue!!

Freedom so far on bettermost, and may it continue!![
Hugs!!