Author Topic: This song reminds me so much of Ennis.  (Read 4775 times)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
This song reminds me so much of Ennis.
« on: April 19, 2007, 01:49:41 pm »
Artist: Dierks Bentley
Song: Long Trip Alone
Album: Popular Songs
[Buy "Popular Songs" CD]   

It's a long trip alone over sand and stone
That lie along the road that we all must travel down

So maybe you could walk with me a while
And maybe I could rest beneath your smile
Everybody stumbles sometimes and needs a hand to hold
'Cause it's a long trip alone

It's a short piece of time but just enough to find
A little peace of mind under the sun somewhere

And maybe I could rest beneath your smile
You know we can't afford to let one moment pass us by
'Cause it's a short piece of time

And I don't know where I'd be without you here
'Cause I'm not really me without you there

Yea Yeah
Hallelujah hallelujah oh

Maybe I could rest beneath your smile
Everybody stumbles sometimes and needs a hand to hold

Maybe I could rest beneath your smile
Maybe I could feel right beside you 'til I'm home
'Cause it's a long trip alone

"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: This song reminds me so much of Ennis.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 02:01:18 pm »
You can currently hear this song on Bettermost's own Radio Station "Brokeback Mountain Radio".  :D

Click the logo in the upper right hand corner, or follow this link to listen to the station:
http://www.live365.com/stations/dampier

Click the big yellow "Play" button.  :D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 10:34:32 pm »
Fleetwood Mac - Landslide

I took my love and I took it down
Climbed a mountain and I turned around
And I saw my reflection in the snow-covered hills
And the landslide brought me down

Oh, mirror in the sky--what is love?
Can the child in my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changin'...ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?
I don't know.....I don't know...

Well I've been afraid of changin'
Because I've built my life around you
But time makes us bolder; children get older
I'm getting older too....

So, take this love...take it down.
Oh, if you climb a mountain and you turn around
and you see my reflection in the snow-covered hills...
well, the landslide will bring you down;
The landslide will bring you down...

OK, so I was in my car driving to the grocery store after work today when I heard "Landslide" on the radio.  And, I had a serious, major Brokie moment.   I almost started crying with how much this song reminds me of Ennis (and BBM in general). 

The two lines: Well I've been afraid of changin'/ Because I've built my life around you really make me think of the scene by the lake when Ennis says "it's because of you that I'm like this" to Jack.  I've always thought of that accusation as particularly cruel.  But, in a way, maybe Ennis is really telling Jack that his whole life really has been constructed around their relationship.  Anyway, it's a beautiful song, and of course all the references to mountains and snow also are really evocative of BBM.

:'( :-*
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 10:31:07 pm by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

mvansand76

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 05:54:04 am »
Fleetwood Mac - Landslide

I took my love and I took it down
Climbed a mountain and I turned around
And I saw my reflection in the snow-covered hills
And the landslide brought me down

Oh, mirror in the sky--what is love?
Can the child in my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changin'...ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?
I don't know.....I don't know...

Well I've been afraid of changin'
Because I've built my life around you
But time makes is bolder; children get older
I'm getting older too....

So, take this love...take it down.
Oh, if you climb a mountain and you turn around
and you see my reflection in the snow-covered hills...
well, the landslide will bring you down;
The landslide will bring you down...

OK, so I was in my car driving to the grocery store after work today when I heard "Landslide" on the radio.  And, I had a serious, major Brokie moment.   I almost started crying with how much this song reminds me of Ennis (and BBM in general). 

The two lines: Well I've been afraid of changin'/ Because I've built my life around you really make me think of the scene by the lake when Ennis says "it's because of you that I'm like this" to Jack.  I've always thought of that accusation as particularly cruel.  But, in a way, maybe Ennis is really telling Jack that his whole life really has been constructed around their relationship.  Anyway, it's a beautiful song, and of course all the references to mountains and snow also are really evocative of BBM.

:'( :-*

Oh I love this song, have you heard the Dixie Chicks version, it's beautiful!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 08:25:48 am »

I agree Amanda!
That was a heart - breaking moment in the movie.
But I think Jack took it the way you said or in a similar manner.
I think he knew it was just Ennis blowing off steam that he had held in for so long.
The way Ennis latched on to him finally when Jack came over shows how much he needed him I think.
It's a song that definitely fits with the movie!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

mvansand76

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 08:29:51 am »

And the title of the song always reminds me of Ennis's "headlong, irreversible fall"

That has always been my favorite line in the book because it's one of the most loaded sentences I have ever read in any book. Especially the irreversible tells me that at that moment Ennis knew that his love for Jack was forever.

:'(

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 10:42:28 pm »

And the title of the song always reminds me of Ennis's "headlong, irreversible fall"

That has always been my favorite line in the book because it's one of the most loaded sentences I have ever read in any book. Especially the irreversible tells me that at that moment Ennis knew that his love for Jack was forever.

:'(

Yes!  Absolutely, I was also thinking of the "headlong, irreversible fall" phrase from the story in relation to this song.  I've never heard the Dixie Chicks' version of Landslide, but I have heard the Smashing Pumpkins version, which is also very beautiful I think.  I'm not a huge Fleetwood Mac fan in general (I do have a lot of respect for Stevie Nicks though), but man, this song is amazing.

And, Lee, I hope you're right that Jack took that comment by Ennis (the comment about "because of you that I'm like this") as either Ennis blowing-off steam or as a sort of veiled or inadvertent romantic statement (rather than an accusation as it seems on the surface).  I like to take an optimistic view of the closing of this scene too.  I like to (or maybe need to) believe that the intense hug really did signify that they brought things back to where they had always been (as is suggested in Proulx's writing).  It's hard to imagine that scene having any sense of optimism at the end without that hug.  The whole end of the film might actually have felt different if Ang Lee hadn't filmed that hug.  It might have left a lot more room for the interpretation that Jack actually did decide to "quit" Ennis (or let him go) if that hug wasn't there.  Of course, the flashback comes in and interrupts the hug and we never really see how Jack and Ennis left things.  So, there's still a lot of ambiguity even with the hug.  Truly a masterful scene that keeps us thinking!
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 01:33:35 am »

Just wanted to put my two cents in here on that line..."Its because of you Jack, Im like this...Im nothin, im nowhere...!"
   I think in its entirety, it shows that he has based his entire life on the ability to meet up with Jack..Telling him that all the stuff he
   has gone thru was worth it, however difficult.  Thats when he starts to tear up.. saying" why dont you!!("quit you)..why dont you  
   just ....    let me be....!"
   In other words, i have nothing more to give.  i may as well give up.  "I just cant stand this anymore....  Jack"   Showing to me he   
   had been pressured for time all along, and that was the reason he was so reluctant to even mention the inability to meet with jack
   until the last minute .  When he could no longer postpone it.        JMO                                                               janice

Beautiful mind

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 08:09:52 am »

Just wanted to put my two cents in here on that line..."Its because of you Jack, Im like this...Im nothin, im nowhere...!"
   I think in its entirety, it shows that he has based his entire life on the ability to meet up with Jack..Telling him that all the stuff he
   has gone thru was worth it, however difficult.  Thats when he starts to tear up.. saying" why dont you!!("quit you)..why dont you  
   just ....    let me be....!"
   In other words, i have nothing more to give.  i may as well give up.  "I just cant stand this anymore....  Jack"   Showing to me he   
   had been pressured for time all along, and that was the reason he was so reluctant to even mention the inability to meet with jack
   until the last minute .  When he could no longer postpone it.        JMO                                                               janice              
I agree! I think Ennis was very keen to the sense of "Never enough time, Never enough".
He felt it too and it was tearing him apart. I think part of that was knowing that it was his fault there was never enough time. Also, the thought of Jack being with someone else because of the factthat he couldn't get away as often tore him up. It was a ounch in the gut because he knew it was his fault. Truth is jack would rather have been with Ennis but couldn't so he was forced to fulfill is needs elsewhere. It was Eniss' fault Jack had to do that. He realized it and it was just too much to bear!
My heart breaks for Ennis on so many different levels!

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 10:45:14 am »
I woke up this morning with Don McLean singing this song in my head and it made me think of Ennis singing to Jack after he was gone (and he finally learned how to sang)

Starry, starry night.
Paint your palette blue and grey,
Look out on a summer's day,
With eyes that know the darkness in my soul.
Shadows on the hills,
Sketch the trees and the daffodils,
Catch the breeze and the winter chills,
In colors on the snowy linen land.

Now I understand what you tried to say to me,
How you suffered for your sanity,
How you tried to set them free.
They would not listen, they did not know how.
Perhaps they'll listen now.

Starry, starry night.
Flaming flowers that brightly blaze,
Swirling clouds in violet haze,
Reflect in Jack's eyes of china blue.
Colors changing hue, morning field of amber grain,
Weathered faces lined in pain,
Are soothed beneath the artist's loving hand.

Now I understand what you tried to say to me,
They would not listen, they did not know how.
Perhaps they'll listen now.

For they could not love you,
But still your love was true.
And when no hope was left in sight
On that starry, starry night,
You took your life, as lovers often do.
But I could have told you, Jack,
This world was never meant for one
As beautiful as you.

Starry, starry night.
Portraits hung in empty halls,
Frameless head on nameless walls,
With eyes that watch the world and can't forget.
Like the strangers that you've met,
The ragged men in the ragged clothes,
The silver thorn of bloody rose,
Lie crushed and broken on the virgin snow.

Now I think I know what you tried to say to me,
They would not listen, they're not listening still.
Perhaps they never will...
"chewing gum and duct tape"