Author Topic: Star Wars or Star Trek?  (Read 14389 times)

injest

Star Wars or Star Trek?
« on: April 26, 2007, 12:17:34 am »
Ok fess up! I know there are some geeks up in here!!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Star Wars or Star Trek?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 12:28:39 am »
God, is it really 40 years since "Star Trek" was first on TV?   :o 

At any rate, it's a part of me.  Lines from that show will never ever leave my head, I'm sure.  Those actors are like family.  :)

"Star Wars," not so much.  Can take it or leave it.  :P
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 12:35:51 am »
Both!!   ;D ;D ;D

And it's Trek-er, not Trek-kie, thank you very much.

You can't compare the two.  Star Trek is a series of morality tales told in a future setting.  Star Wars is a classic space western/samurai tale of a hero's journey.

injest

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 12:41:08 am »
Both!!   ;D ;D ;D

You can't compare the two.  Star Trek is a series of morality tales told in a future setting.  Star Wars is a classic space western/samurai tale of a hero's journey.

yes, I saw a special documentary on Star Wars where they were discussing the themes in the original Star Wars...

I loved Star Trek The Next Generation....liked the original series...hated all the ones that came after. I think Rick Berman made it too dark....to me it seemed he wanted to do Star WARS instead of Star Trek...

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 01:07:20 am »
yes, I saw a special documentary on Star Wars where they were discussing the themes in the original Star Wars...

I loved Star Trek The Next Generation....liked the original series...hated all the ones that came after. I think Rick Berman made it too dark....to me it seemed he wanted to do Star WARS instead of Star Trek...

I liked the original Star Trek series, Next Generation and Enterprise.  I tried but was never able to get into Deep Space 9.  I actually got bored when I watched the premiere which pretty much set my attitude about the series..  Voyager was too gimmicky.

Star Wars...yeah, it sounds cheesy, but this movie/series has always meant a lot to me.  Even now, I'll be listening to Dubya or Cheney and turn to a friend and say, "He's Chancellor Palpatine..." or I'll be talking to my teacher friend about some very abusive troubled students she's met and I'll say "He's Anakin Skywalker."

But, Star Trek isn't neglected in my life, I can also read a book or watch TV/movie and say of a character, "He's a red shirt."

:-*

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 05:18:36 am »
Both!!   ;D ;D ;D

That's a good description of Star Wars Del. However, i think it's more samurai than western. I don't see cowboys saying May the force be with you. A samurai is more likely to talk like that.  And also there's the lightsabers.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline David

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 06:32:40 am »
Definately STAR TREK.   

Yes,  Star Wars was impressive when it first came out.  The special effects were so much better than the original Star Trek series.

But then Star Trek came back.   The motion pictures first, then StarTrek: The Next Generation.  That was GREAT!     I never liked Deep Space Nice, it felt too much like Star wars.     I did like Voyagers once I got comfortable with the crew.      I just couldn't get into "Enterprise"  Sorry.

With each new Star Wars movie it just felt like it was an excuse to sell more merchandise to kids and collectors.    :-\

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 08:41:52 am »
I was too young to really get into Star Trek.  I remember watching it as a kid, possibly in reruns, and thinking it was too serious.  I didn't connect with it.

Star Wars came out when I was in high school, so it had a greater impact.  I had a high school friend who was completely  obsessed (sound familiar?).  He bought anything and everything related to the film, got into the symbolism, even signed letters, "Yours in the force." 

In college, I remember learning about Oedipal conflicts and how this related to Star Wars, and thought that was pretty cool.  My HS friend certainly had father issues.

I'll bet his collection is worth a fortune today. 

Star Wars (the original three, anyway) were part of my youth, and a lot of fun.  I recall when they were re-released in the 90s, and that brought the excitement back.  I could forgive the cheesy dialogue and overacting and just enjoy a great epic.  (Certainly disappointed with the last three, though.)

As an aside, has anyone ever seen "Red Dwarf"?  It's a popular British comedy that's a smart spoof of all things Star- Trek/Wars/whatever.

injest

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 08:48:52 am »
Why ya'll hating on the new Star Wars movies?? Huh?

Qui Gonn Jinn is hot!! maybe I should say was....since they knocked him off!

Of course I may have been prejudiced since I had seen Rob Roy right before I saw the Phantom Menace...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 09:11:22 am »
Why ya'll hating on the new Star Wars movies?? Huh?

Disappointed, not hated.  I didn't connect with the story too much.
Sure, Liam was fine.  Hayden Christensen is cute, but his acting makes me think he would have made a good "disappearing log" in BBM.

I saw each of the new ones once.  Honestly, I don't remember much.  Except......dare I say.......Jar Jar Binks.  Not a happy memory.