Author Topic: What was your After School Addiction?  (Read 17908 times)

injest

What was your After School Addiction?
« on: April 29, 2007, 01:02:54 am »
we would all like to pretend we went out and played or did something productive...but come on. We came home and vegged in front of the TV!!

My favorites were: The Partridge Family, The Brady Bunch, Gilligan's Island, I Dream of Jeannie, and Star Trek.

What were yours??

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
Re: What was your After School Addiction?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 01:21:31 am »
Well I'm older than you Jess but when I was 6 years old I use to rush home every day to watch Dark Shadows with my Mom.  It was a Gothic television soap opera that originally aired weekdays on the ABC television network, from June 27, 1966 to April 2, 1971.  It set in this creepy old house in this creepy little New England town, Collinwood..with the obligatory creepy Collins family and it was chockablock with vampires, werewolves, time travel, chinese mysticism, catatonia, witches, warlocks and a parallel unverse.  We loved it.  I had the biggest crush on David Selby who played the tortured hunky werewolf Quintin Collins.   The men folk knew to stay out of  the house between 3:30 and 4:00 and Mom always took the phone off the hook while it was on.  I  had  a chance to see it in syndication on the Sci-Fi channel a few years ago .... talk about campy :laugh:  but it was the best in 1966.

Later when I went home to take care of my Mom when she had cancer she and I watch The Young and the Restless and General Hospital together every day.  Those damn soaps suck you in.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 01:38:44 am by dot-matrix »
Life is not a dress rehearsal

injest

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 01:26:46 am »
The Young and The Restless....hey, there was a rumor that ?Ashley? was a post operative transexual and that is why she was taken off....you hear that too?

argh! I can't remember off hand the people's names...can see them in my head...

*sigh*

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 01:37:09 am »
The Young and The Restless....hey, there was a rumor that ?Ashley? was a post operative transexual and that is why she was taken off....you hear that too?

argh! I can't remember off hand the people's names...can see them in my head...

*sigh*

Really!  Miss Perfect Ashley Abbott!  Oh wait you mean the actress right?   ;)  :-\  Well gee I had not heard that BUT I did always think she looked kind of buff for a girl and she did have a little deeper voice than most women.  Unfortunately I have not dropped in on Y&R in a few years now so I am woefully behind on the scoop.

injest

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 01:42:22 am »
Really!  Miss Perfect Ashley Abbott!  Oh wait you mean the actress right?   ;)  :-\  Well gee I had not heard that BUT I did always think she looked kind of buff for a girl and she did have a little deeper voice than most women.  Unfortunately I have not dropped in on Y&R in a few years now so I am woefully behind on the scoop.

me too. this was almost 20 years ago...*ahem* (not that I am telling my age)

I loved on those soaps how the kids would age overnight but the parents didn't!!

I want to live in one of those towns!

of course I also wanted to live on Gilligan's Island!!

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 01:45:38 am »
Just got this off http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/restless.htm

Claim:   Actress Eileen Davidson of The Young and the Restless used to be a man.

Example:   [Collected on the Internet, 1999]

What about the rumour about the woman who currently plays Ashley Abbott on the Young & the Restless? A few years back people were saying that she was once a man, and had a highly successful sex-change operation.  

Origins:   Imagine  being one of the most beautiful women in the world and having a rumor that you were once a man dog your steps for close to two decades. 

That is the reality of TV soap actress Eileen Davidson. She's been Kristen Blake, Kristen's lookalike Susan Banks, and Susan's sister Sister Mary Moira on Days Of Our Lives; Kelly Capwell on Santa Barbara; and Ashley Abbott on The Young and the Restless. Soap Opera Digest has repeatedly named her one of the most beautiful women in daytime drama.

The rumor is false, but it's amazing how even the most specious of slanders can stick with a person year upon year. Davidson, a typical high school student who'd grown up a typical little girl in a Southern California home, started down the road to fame when as a 19-year-old she was approached on a beach by a photographer who asked if she'd consider becoming a model. Modeling led to acting, and she began her soap opera career in 1982 as Ashley Abbott on The Young and the Restless when she was 23. She was married to Jon Lindstrom, who plays Dr. Kevin Collins on Port Charles.

In 1999, Davidson offered the following possible explanation as to why this claim has attached to her:

People swear they saw me on Donahue talking about my surgery. But it was Tula [a transgender model], who has long blond hair and angular features like I do. I never appeared on Donahue, and I am not a transexual.

This  is a pleasing explanation for the origin of this silliness (because it's based upon nothing more than a confusion over similarity of appearances), but it's wrong. Caroline Cossey (a transsexual model and actress known professionally as Tula) appeared on Donahue on 29 June 1990, yet we found the "Eileen Davidson is a man" canard discussed in a 1987 newspaper article, proving that the gossip predates Tula's talk show appearance. Moreover, in that article a CBS spokeswoman reported that this tale was then about two years old, which dates it to 1985.

Gossip, slanders, and silly rumors are all part and parcel of being famous, but sometimes these tales cross the line.

Barbara "born to be riled" Mikkelson

Posted:   2 May 2002

injest

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 07:31:01 am »
Dottie

YOU ROCK

is there anything you can't find?? huh?

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 08:17:19 am »

What a funny thread Jess, but it got me thinking about what I used to do when I came home from school, and the thing I remember most, was that I used to love to pig out on (of all things) POWDERED MILK............i used to eat it by the spoonful until my mouth was caked with it.

I didnt think of it as an addiction, but now when I think of how I would head straight for the tin of powdered milk when i walked in the door, I realize I was hooked on the stuff.......cant remember when I stopped eating it, I dont even buy it now.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

injest

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 08:26:54 am »
What a funny thread Jess, but it got me thinking about what I used to do when I came home from school, and the thing I remember most, was that I used to love to pig out on (of all things) POWDERED MILK............i used to eat it by the spoonful until my mouth was caked with it.

I didnt think of it as an addiction, but now when I think of how I would head straight for the tin of powdered milk when i walked in the door, I realize I was hooked on the stuff.......cant remember when I stopped eating it, I dont even buy it now.

ROTF!!

see? as grown ups we can't DO things like that anymore....one, our waistlines won't allow it...and two, we have to be responsible (which BTW is WAY overrated)!

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 09:48:26 am »
My favorite afterschool show, Family Affair, when i was really little, then Lost In Space, it was on every afternoon at 4.30.

You know what I remember also, the Afterschool Specials, on Wednesday afternoons, at least some of them, they were cool, always so sad and dramatic.