Author Topic: What was your After School Addiction?  (Read 17899 times)

injest

Re: What was your After School Addiction?
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 01:50:15 pm »
My favorite afterschool show, Family Affair, when i was really little, then Lost In Space, it was on every afternoon at 4.30.

You know what I remember also, the Afterschool Specials, on Wednesday afternoons, at least some of them, they were cool, always so sad and dramatic.

melodramatic! they always had a big 'issue of the week'!

and everything just wrapped up so easily! Mom a drunk? just one call to AA and it is all better!

Sister a anorexic? A little counseling will clear that right up!

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 07:46:47 pm »
Your so right Jess, they were melodramatic, but when your about eleven they were just so dramatic.

Actually, my favorite tv show, during that time, only it was only on at nights not yet in reruns, the Waltons.  I loved that show, but talk about solving all problems in less than an hour, they always did.

injest

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 07:56:43 pm »
Your so right Jess, they were melodramatic, but when your about eleven they were just so dramatic.

Actually, my favorite tv show, during that time, only it was only on at nights not yet in reruns, the Waltons.  I loved that show, but talk about solving all problems in less than an hour, they always did.

Loved the Waltons...and yes they wrapped it up in an hour, it was very real and sometimes it didn't end happily...just Hopefully if that makes any sense.

I always wondered if the 'sisters' knew that their Fathers remedy was moonshine??! LOL!!

and I loved the shopkeepers wife....how she always called him by his last name!

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 08:05:34 pm »
I'm sorta not surprised that you like it too, Jess.  But your right, it didn't all end up happy, that's why I loved it, it was so serious and often sad.

I don't think the sisters ever figured out what the recipe was.

Oh, gosh, I can't remember Ike's last name.

I am trying to figure out which was my favorite episode, but I have think about that, there were so many excellent ones.

injest

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 09:57:30 pm »
I'm sorta not surprised that you like it too, Jess.  But your right, it didn't all end up happy, that's why I loved it, it was so serious and often sad.

I don't think the sisters ever figured out what the recipe was.

Oh, gosh, I can't remember Ike's last name.

I am trying to figure out which was my favorite episode, but I have think about that, there were so many excellent ones.

Ike Godsey Odsey??

I loved any one with Grandma and Grandpa in them....loved their relationship...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 10:07:27 am »
Well I'm older than you Jess but when I was 6 years old I use to rush home every day to watch Dark Shadows with my Mom.  It was a Gothic television soap opera that originally aired weekdays on the ABC television network, from June 27, 1966 to April 2, 1971.  It set in this creepy old house in this creepy little New England town, Collinwood..with the obligatory creepy Collins family and it was chockablock with vampires, werewolves, time travel, chinese mysticism, catatonia, witches, warlocks and a parallel unverse.  We loved it.  I had the biggest crush on David Selby who played the tortured hunky werewolf Quintin Collins.   The men folk knew to stay out of  the house between 3:30 and 4:00 and Mom always took the phone off the hook while it was on.  I  had  a chance to see it in syndication on the Sci-Fi channel a few years ago .... talk about campy :laugh:  but it was the best in 1966..

Dottie, I LOVED "Dark Shadows," too! I especially loved the part, which went on for maybe a year or so, when they went back into the 19th century to show how Barnabas first became a vampire. And I loved the beautiful blonde but evil witch, Angelique, and the good girl -- was it Juliette? And then Juliette was driven off a cliff and came back wearing a veil and when Barnabas, who was in love with her, insisted that she lift the veil, she did ... and her face looked like a popover!  :o :laugh:

I can still whistle the spooky theme tune, and see those waves crashing ominously on the cliff below Collinswood Manor or whatever it was called. I used to watch while eating those creme-filled-wafer cookies -- you know the ones that come in vanilla, chocolate and pink? -- and now whenever I see those cookies I'm reminded of "Dark Shadows."

In later years, my soap was "All My Children." I watched it in high school and college, then quit when I started working full time. And of course most of the characters changed and so on, and whenever I'd hear about it it sounded really silly. BUT when I was on maternity leave, about 12 years ago, I happened to tune in and found that very quickly I was hooked again!

It's such a strange quality soap operas have. They sound so stupid if you don't watch them. And even if you do watch one, the one YOU watch seems really good and realistic, while all the others sound stupid.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2007, 01:32:37 am »
When I was a kid, I loved watching Murder She Wrote.  Love, love Angela Lansbury! Still do ... I own the first five seasons of the show that have been released on DVD... 

Next on the list: Magnum P.I., Miami Vice ... and more ...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2007, 07:38:11 am »
we would all like to pretend we went out and played or did something productive...but come on. We came home and vegged in front of the TV!!

Nope, I didn't. Honest.
When I was a school kid, there was nothing on TV during the days. And I really mean
N O T H I N G. Only a TV test pattern. On all three programs.
I remember vividly and fondly the invention of the "ZDF Ferienprogramm". That was a two hours long, special program for kids that was aired only during the six weeks of summer holidays. They had even an own song for it because it was so new and progressive to have TV program during the day.
I know the song by heart to this day  :laugh:.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2007, 07:08:53 pm »
When I was really young I had to watch Nannies "stories" better known as Soap Opera's. We watched Love of Life, The Edge of Night, Another World blah blah blah.
Now, I liked Speed Racer, Ultraman, Clutch Cargo, Spiderman, Green Acres, I dream of Jeannie, The Munsters,The Addams Family and Gilligans Island.
When I was in Highschool it was back to soaps. Everyone watched General Hostpital with Luke and Laura.
The Guys didn't admit to it in public but we all watched it. ;D
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

injest

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2007, 07:34:19 pm »
When I was really young I had to watch Nannies "stories" better known as Soap Opera's. We watched Love of Life, The Edge of Night, Another World blah blah blah.
Now, I liked Speed Racer, Ultraman, Clutch Cargo, Spiderman, Green Acres, I dream of Jeannie, The Munsters,The Addams Family and Gilligans Island.
When I was in Highschool it was back to soaps. Everyone watched General Hostpital with Luke and Laura.
The Guys didn't admit to it in public but we all watched it. ;D

I wanted to be Jeanie and live in that bottle....or on Gilligan's Island either one!!