Author Topic: What was your After School Addiction?  (Read 17895 times)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
Re: What was your After School Addiction?
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2007, 07:44:10 pm »
I wanted to be Jeanie and live in that bottle....or on Gilligan's Island either one!!
LOL!
I wanted to be on Gilligans Island. Thats when I started figuring out I was different cause all my friends wanted to go there for Ginger and Mayanne I wanted to go for the Professor. 8)
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

injest

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2007, 07:47:21 pm »
LOL!
I wanted to be on Gilligans Island. Thats when I started figuring out I was different cause all my friends wanted to go there for Ginger and Mayanne I wanted to go for the Professor. 8)

hee hee....it was the way he rolled his sleeves part way up....lort those arms...

*Jess fanning herself*

;)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2007, 03:53:19 pm »
Wow, this takes me back. Gilligans Island was always a favorite, as well as Bonanza! But the one I am still hooked on, have watched so many times I can quote along with the script: The Andy Griffith Show. Being so close to Andy Griffith's hometown it is still in syndication here. I am still hoping they will find the lost episodes where Aent Bea goes to Mt. Pilot to turn tricks to send Opie to college :laugh:

I remember the Luke and Laura thing on GH, but I refused to become involved in it. In college there was a group of us big into Guiding Light. Bert Bauer, she was a fixture forever. Our mothers had been watching GL for years. I turn on the soaps now and cannot understand the attaction of the medium. OMG, I remember Secret Storm, I was so bummed when it ended. That guy had just got the feeling in his legs back!

Now when I was a kid, my favorite show was a game show "Match Game", begining with "Match Game 73" in 1973 and changing the number every year with much fanfare and pointed hats. They had a who set of unruly, probably intoxicated, panelists and starlets that later disappeared from the face of the earth. (Rita Moreno where are you?) There was Brett Summers, whose only known claim to fame was being married to Jack Klugman, and the very gay Charles Nelson Reilly. They pushed the envelope quite a bit for the time.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2007, 04:01:40 pm »
Now when I was a kid, my favorite show was a game show "Match Game", begining with "Match Game 73" in 1973 and changing the number every year with much fanfare and pointed hats. They had a who set of unruly, probably intoxicated, panelists and starlets that later disappeared from the face of the earth. (Rita Moreno where are you?) There was Brett Summers, whose only known claim to fame was being married to Jack Klugman, and the very gay Charles Nelson Reilly. They pushed the envelope quite a bit for the time.
I loved Matchgame and still do! I watch it allt he time on Game Show Network. It's amazing some of the stuff they got away with back then. I agree, I think they were all drunk or worse! LOL
I know what you mean about Andy Griffith. I still watch that too. I go through Mt Airy everytime I go home. That's the last exit before you go over Fancy Gap. I always stop there and Gas up. I'd hate to get stuck on the Mountain. I also used to like Gomer Pyle. LOL
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2007, 02:57:35 am »
I didn't know Brett Sommers was married to Jack Klugman.  They look alike.

The Professor IS much more attractive than Ginger or Mary Ann.  I wanted to be him.  :)

I watched ALL the shows you all watched, except for the soaps and The Waltons.

I also to this day love The Andy Griffith Show.  Though having alcoholism traumatize my family, it was hard to laugh at Otis.  Aunt Bea is one of my role models.  Not in every way, she got too overwrought at times, but I liked her firmness and substance. 

Speaking of her turning tricks to send Opie to college - I heard an interview with Ron Howard once, where he told about how when he first wanted to direct a movie, he literally considered making a movie called "Opie Gets Laid" to raise the funds he would need for the film.  He figured he could cash in one final time on the Opie fame.  :)  I love Ron Howard.  And I loved Andy as a father and a friend.

Did anybody say I Love Lucy?  She was my hero too.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2007, 08:06:37 am »
It's funny how things you learn from those after-school shows, at an impressionable age, stay with you for life.

I can still remember the theme song for the match game. What was that other one that spun off from it, kind of Match Game meets Newlywed Game -- three celebrity couples, and one spouse would try to guess how the other spouse would answer? Bert Convy was the host. I liked that one, too.

I can still remember individual questions on Hollywood Squares -- or at least I think I can. But the two I remember best both seem to involve Elizabeth Taylor, for some reason. "What does Elizabeth Taylor say a face needs to be beautiful?" The answer: flaws. "What does Elizabeth Taylor think smells better than it tastes?" The answer: coffee. But the second one must have been somebody other than Elizabeth Taylor.

Whenever I clean house, I remember an episode on "The Andy Griffith Show" in which Aunt Bea went out of town and Andy and Opie got the house all messy. Just before she was due to return, they went into a housecleaning frenzy. But then they realized! If Aunt Bea came in and saw the house all sparkling, she'd think they didn't need her. So they messed it up again and then left to pick up Aunt Bea at the train station. While they were gone, Clara the neighbor stopped in, saw the messy house, tsk tsked, rolled up her sleeves, and went into her own housecleaning frenzy. Then Andy and Opie and Aunt Bea return to a sparkling house, and sure enough Bea's face falls. So one of them keeps her busy in the front room while the other runs around and messes up the other rooms. When Bea sees the other, messy rooms, she is happy again.

Ron Howard looks just like my brother. They even lost their hair simultaneously.

The Professor is the most attractive one on the island. By far.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2007, 04:49:24 pm »
Whenever I clean house, I remember an episode on "The Andy Griffith Show" in which Aunt Bea went out of town and Andy and Opie got the house all messy. Just before she was due to return, they went into a housecleaning frenzy. But then they realized! If Aunt Bea came in and saw the house all sparkling, she'd think they didn't need her. So they messed it up again and then left to pick up Aunt Bea at the train station. While they were gone, Clara the neighbor stopped in, saw the messy house, tsk tsked, rolled up her sleeves, and went into her own housecleaning frenzy. Then Andy and Opie and Aunt Bea return to a sparkling house, and sure enough Bea's face falls. So one of them keeps her busy in the front room while the other runs around and messes up the other rooms. When Bea sees the other, messy rooms, she is happy again.

I remember this one!  Love the description.  :) 

I just had this fun picture of us having a future weekend get-together where we all spend ridiculous amounts of time watching these old shows with each other.  :)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2007, 05:00:24 pm »
I just had this fun picture of us having a future weekend get-together where we all spend ridiculous amounts of time watching these old shows with each other.  :)

I like that idea! Instead of being the group that gets together to watch one particular movie we've all seen dozens of times already, we'll be the group that gets together to watch just about anything we've all seen dozens of times already!  ;D

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2007, 07:00:43 pm »
Ok, I'm dating myself here.  ::)
 Does anyone remember Love American Style?
I was little when it was on but I loved the fireworks! LOL

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2007, 11:02:25 pm »
Ok, I'm dating myself here.  ::)

It's good to date yourself -- you can always count on yourself being available on Saturday night.  :laugh:

Sorry. I can still sing the theme song for "Love American Style." And I was old enough to watch it while babysitting.