Author Topic: What was your After School Addiction?  (Read 17903 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: What was your After School Addiction?
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2007, 01:54:28 am »
My Mom made us watch Dallas - Fri pm's I think - I always tried to have something else planned.  :D

I went through a "Dallas" phase. This was only "after school" in the sense that it was after I had graduated from college!  :laugh: I watched "Dallas" for a while, which led me to "Knot's Landing" and eventually even "Falcoln Crest" (Lorenzo Lamas played the son of Ronald Reagan's ex-wife) ! This was during my first job after college, at a -tiny daily newspaper in a tiny farm town near the North Dakota border. Funny what that will do to your TV-viewing habits -- not to mention your social life! Suddenly, instead of spending Friday nights partying with my friends, I was spending them with the Ewing family!!  :laugh:

I think there's a story here somewhere -- the way that 20th century-born kids trace their lives back according to the TV shows they watched. Actually, I once read an excellent essay about that by Tony Earley (author of "Jim the Boy") called "Somehow Form a Family." Extra points to anyone who can say where that title came from.  8)

In case anyone's interested, here's an excerpt:

http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/e/earley-01family.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2007, 01:58:36 am »
After school me and my friends would get together over someone's house, watch cartoons with the sound turned down, music playing LOUD and get stoned.  Then someone came up with the idea of mtv the next decade.  You know back when they actually showed music videos all day.

does anyone else remember doing something along those lines?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2007, 02:00:22 am »
I went through a "Dallas" phase. This was only "after school" in the sense that it was after I had graduated from college!  :laugh: I watched "Dallas" for a while, which led me to "Knot's Landing" and eventually even "Falcoln Crest" (Lorenzo Lamas played the son of Ronald Reagan's ex-wife) ! This was during my first job after college, at a -tiny daily newspaper in a tiny farm town near the North Dakota border. Funny what that will do to your TV-viewing habits -- not to mention your social life! Suddenly, instead of spending Friday nights partying with my friends, I was spending them with the Ewing family!!  :laugh:

I think there's a story here somewhere -- the way that 20th century-born kids trace their lives back according to the TV shows they watched. Actually, I once read an excellent essay about that by Tony Earley (author of "Jim the Boy") called "Somehow Form a Family." Extra points to anyone who can say where that title came from.  8)

In case anyone's interested, here's an excerpt:

http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/e/earley-01family.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Did you watch "Dynasty" Katherine? It was one of my favorites!  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2007, 02:06:39 am »
After school me and my friends would get together over someone's house, watch cartoons with the sound turned down, music playing LOUD and get stoned.  Then someone came up with the idea of mtv the next decade.  You know back when they actually showed music videos all day.

Ooops! Did she say "Get Stoned"??

Yep! I did that too. I didn't want to mention it first. I was waiting for someone else to volunteer it.  :)

I would turn on my black lights, strobe lights, light some incense (normally pachulli or sandalwood), play some Kansas, Styx, Chicago or Boston and, well, LIGHT UP!!!  :laugh:

Then kick back on my bed, watch the lights, listen to the music and trip.  :D

The '70s were great, weren't they?
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2007, 05:04:19 am »
called "Somehow Form a Family." Extra points to anyone who can say where that title came from.  8)

As Jess would say, pfffft.   The Brady Bunch.  Extra points, please.  :)

I'm bannerizing this puppy.  :)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2007, 06:50:57 am »

Yes!!!! LOL
When I was In college though! We had Rush blaring and leave it to beaver was on the TV. My room mate was sitting in front of the TV as if in a trance. I asked what he was doing and his response was "Watchin videos man"!  :laugh:  :laugh: 

Everyone else just died laughing!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2007, 03:02:09 pm »
Lee you are too cool..   Love ya man!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2007, 03:18:07 pm »
Lee you are too cool..   Love ya man!
Well, I try!  8)
Thanks LOL
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"