Author Topic: The "You gotta feel sorry for Ennis" thread  (Read 7773 times)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
The "You gotta feel sorry for Ennis" thread
« on: April 24, 2006, 05:59:28 pm »
Time for a whole other direction in the somewhat successful collection of now deleted threads (back at IMDb BBM) that will no doubt find a happy home here at BetterMost

the first of a series:

the "You gotta feel sorry  :( for Ennis" thread

You gotta feel sorry  :( for Ennis' fears. If only he was a little more carefree, like Jack ... what a difference that would have made to his life

As always, try to keep your participation to one thought per post and if not, who really cares...

« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 11:40:00 am by Phillip »
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: roboy's "You gotta feel sorry for Ennis"
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 01:34:36 am »
I gotta feel sorry :( for Ennis when Jack drives away from their disappointing post-divorce conversation.  He knows he just broke Jack's heart, he knows he's gotta go be a not-sad-Daddy to the girls in the truck, especially since he missed last month 'cause a the round-up, and he's freakin' out about the ten people Jack just talked to in Riverton.  He must feel like a screw up in every way.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 04:34:01 am »
Never thought about those ten people that Jack spoke to in Riverton as part of Ennis' shell creating little horor story. Thanks for that new insight elle (must a missed some good threads somewhere)

You gotta feel sorry  :( for Ennis' lack of men relations in his life - other than Jack's. He never had himself no other buddies - ergo - he's alone a lot.
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline hermitdave

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • changed forever by brokeback...
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 04:52:47 pm »
I gotta feel sorry  :( for Ennis at his visit with Jack's parents. When Jack's father tells tells him that Jack had talked about moving there with Ennis. The look on Ennis's face was heartbreaking. :'(
"Whenever Im alone with you, you make me feel like I am whole again. Whenever Im alone with you, you make me feel like I am young again." - The Cure

moremojo

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 05:12:54 pm »
You gotta feel sorry for Ennis when you surmise that Jack's "It's all right...it's all right", in the second tent scene, may have been the most loving words anyone had ever said to Ennis in his life, up to that point.

:'(

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 09:11:18 pm »
You got to feel sorry for Ennis when he sits so sadly by himself on top of the hill.  Not wanting to leave Jack...  his first real love of his life.
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline Toast

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 12:54:18 pm »

You gotta feel sad for Ennis in the bar, as they "start drinkin together"
Ennis can barely believe that this cute guy would bother talking to him.
The way Ennis looks at Jack, says that Ennis has been on the far edge of too many conversations, and never expectts to be asked to talk about himself.

That look on his face tells so much about his relationship with his family and the world.
Makes me wonder which part of his life was the hardest - before or after his parents died?
does he ever talk about his Momma??

This lovely scene shows him thinking of his Mom

134 EXT: BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN: CAMPFIRE: NIGHT: 134 CONTINUOUS:
JACK, much younger, stands by the campfire.
WE SEE two arms encircle him from behind: it is ENNIS, also much younger.
They stand that way for a moment, JACK leaning back into ENNIS. ENNIS'S breath comes slow and quiet, then he starts to gently rock back and forth a little, lit by the warm fire tossing ruddy chunks of light, the shadow of their bodies a single column against a rock. ENNIS hums quietly.
Nothing mars this moment for JACK, even though he knows that ENNI5 does not embrace him face to face because he does not want to see or feel that it is JACK he holds - because for now, they are wrapped in a closeness that satisfies some shared and sexless hunger, that is not really sleep but something else drowsy and trenched - until ENNIS, dredging up a rusty phrase from the childhood time before his mother died, says:
   ENNIS Time to hit the hay,  cowboy, I got to go.
   (pause) Come on now, you're sleepin' on your feet like a horse.
Gives JACK a little shake, a gentle push, and JACK stumbles ever so slightly in the direction of his tent,  stops. Hears ENNIS'S spurs jingle as he mounts his horse.
   ENNIS . . .See you tomorrow....
A shuddering snort from ENNIS'S horse, the grind of hoof on stone, and ENNIS rides away,  JACK watching him go.

Jack says almost the same thing to him
on the morning they leave the mountain

"All right. Time to get goin', cowboy."

TJ

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 07:23:36 pm »
Here are two book quotes related to some of the things related to how "I gotta feel sorry fer Ennis."

(August 1963)  "You goin a do this next summer?" said Jack to Ennis in the street, one leg already up in his green pickup. The wind was gusting hard and cold.
  "Maybe not." A dust plume rose and hazed the air with fine grit and he squinted against it. "Like I said, Alma and me's gettin married in December. Try to get somethin on a ranch. You?" He looked away from Jack's jaw, bruised blue from the hard punch Ennis had thrown him on the last day.
   "If nothin better comes along. Thought some about going back up to my daddy's place, give him a hand over the winter, then maybe head out for Texas in the spring. If the draft don't get me."

"Well, see you around, I guess." The wind tumbled an empty feed bag down the street until it fetched up under his truck.

"Right," said Jack, and they shook hands, hit each other on the shoulder, then there was forty feet of distance between them and nothing to do but drive away in opposite directions. Within a mile Ennis felt like someone was pulling his guts out hand over hand a yard at a time. He stopped at the side of the road and, in the whirling new snow, tried to puke but nothing came up. He felt about as bad as he ever had and it took a long time for the feeling to wear off.

(June 1967 in the Motel Siesta in Riverton, Wyoming) "That summer," said Ennis. "When we split up after we got paid out I had gut cramps so bad I pulled over and tried to puke, thought I ate somethin bad at that place in Dubois. Took me about a year a figure out it was that I shouldn't a let you out a my sights. Too late then by a long, long while."

Since the book-Ennis was driving a truck at the time when they split up after they had eaten "at that place in Dubois," I feel sorry for him that he didn't turn that truck around and head off in the direction which Jack was driving. Ennis did know where Jack was going at the time.

I went through a similar feeling when I parted company with a guy when I should not have left in the first place. Actually, I went through it a couple of times in my life. But, in the case of the latter of the two, I was not even able to sleep at the motel the evening of the day that I left. But, I did get back to him about 3 months later and lived with him until he passed away. It wasn't supposed to be a permanent seperation in  the first place and it had to do with not wanting to be a financial burden.

Offline Ellemeno

Re: The "You gotta feel sorry for Ennis" thread
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 06:12:10 pm »
I gotta feel sorry for Ennis when he comes back and finds Jack taking the tent down and he kicks the snow.  The best time in his life is suddenly over a month early, with no warning.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 08:53:56 pm »
You gotta feel sorry for Ennis that he has to brave the humiliation of sitting in his ex-wife's new husband's house that is so much nicer than anything he could ever possibly afford and on Thanksgiving and then has to listen to his wife condescend to him in the kitchen when she says "Me and the girls worry about you bein' alone so much."  No wonder he let the "Well, once bitten..." out that he really should have thought twice about saying to her.
No more beans!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 12:35:26 pm »
You gotta feel sorry for Ennis when he's sitting alone in the bus station/diner eating pie. He looks so miserable and so alone.
(Plus the worst thing hasn't even occurred at that point  :'( )

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 01:18:28 pm »
You gotta feel sorry for Ennis when he's sitting alone in the bus station/diner eating pie. He looks so miserable and so alone.
(Plus the worst thing hasn't even occurred at that point  :'( )

Especially since Ennis had probably noticed the two men (one in a light and one in a dark hat) buying tickets at the counter in the bus station, travelling, living together maybe?
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 01:32:50 pm »
I'm overhelmed with sadness for Ennis when he finds his shirt with Jacks in Jack's bedroom and I know just how he feels... the confusion, deep grief, the terrible realization of just how much Jack loved him and that he cannot hold him ever again.  I cry somethin' fierce when I see him holding their shirts because I did the same thing when I lost a loved one so long ago.  It's like I lost Joe yesterday.  I can't watch the movie too often for that reason.  It's got its wonder, beauty and joy, but it's too close to home for me in the end, too sad, but I'm glad I can come here to talk about it.

Peace,
Rayn
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 01:35:22 pm by Rayn »

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2006, 05:17:59 pm »
You gotta feel sorry for Ennis - having to care for his kids with a $250 monthly tab, and having to be poor, working hard all the time, while Alma lives the relatively good/high life in a proper home - yea Ennis has reasons to feel that life had cheated him out of the basic happiness he ought to have been allowed.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 02:38:04 am »
You gotta feel sorry for Ennis in the later years when coming back from his days with Jack and being all alone. Knowing it would be a long time till they see each other again.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2006, 05:58:31 am »
It's much easier to list the (few) scenes and events where you *don't* have to feel sorry for Ennis. That is, if you can find any at all.....  :'(

Nevertheless,

You gotta feel sorry for Ennis at his wedding, standing there so rigid and knowing no other way than to go through with it despite his heart telling him NONONO. You gotta feel more than sorry, knowing that when he speaks the words of the Lord's prayer there, he's been conditioned to think of the true love of his life as "temptation" and of their expressions of love for each another as "evil".  :(

Offline Noviani

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Best Love Story of All Time
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2006, 09:22:29 pm »
I gotta feel sorry for Ennis because his dad was so homophobic, he showed his young sons what will haunt Little Ennis all his life. and led him to a miserable love life.
"Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it..."

I finally found an Indonesian-translated version of BBM short story!!!!!
Ye-haww!!

Offline Noviani

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Best Love Story of All Time
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2006, 09:25:32 pm »
I gotta feel sorry for Ennis for letting his fear of community prejudice corrupt his courage to fight for the love of his life.

I am still upset about this!! >:(
"Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it..."

I finally found an Indonesian-translated version of BBM short story!!!!!
Ye-haww!!

Offline insane-romantic

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • My Myspace
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006, 09:33:37 am »
You gotta feel sorry for Ennis when he phones Lureen and realises that Jack really is dead. The look on his face as it dawns on him that he'll never see Jack again is heartbreaking. You gotta feel sorry for him pretty much all the time from then on....
I saw you were sick and tired of my wrong turns.
If you only knew the way I feel,
I'd really love to tell you,
But I could never seem to say
The things I needed to.
On a day like today
No other words would do.

Keane: On A Day Like Today