Author Topic: Gay Rights. Job done?  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Gay Rights. Job done?
« on: April 30, 2007, 08:38:36 am »
Interesting article and comments in the BBC news website ....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6606941.stm

Gay rights. Job done?
By Tom Geoghegan
BBC News Magazine 

New equality laws mark another major step in protecting gays and lesbians from discrimination. Coming after a series of landmark reforms, is the job now done for gay rights campaigners?
It is not as photogenic as its predecessor, which was hailed with showers of confetti and kisses on town hall steps.

But the Equality Act, coming 16 months after civil partnerships made the headlines, could later be judged as equally significant, at least in its symbolism.

It is not a piece of legislation welcomed by all and it was bitterly opposed by parts of the Catholic Church. But it marks the last of a series of major legal reforms which have transformed the treatment of homosexuality by the state.

THE EQUALITY ACT
- bans discrimination on the grounds of religion or belief or sexual orientation in the provision of goods, facilities and services, the management of premises, education and the exercise of public functions
-establishes the Commission for Equality and Human Rights to replace existing commissions governing race, disability and equal opportunities 

As well as civil partnerships, there has been a lowering of the age of consent and the repeal of Section 28, which prevented councils and schools from intentionally promoting homosexuality.
Although gay rights campaigning is older than we thought - a document discovered last week reveals written protests as early as 1749 - the speed of change in the last 10 years is unprecedented.

And last year Sir Ian McKellen remarked that the EuroPride march, once a strong political statement urging equality, had instead become a "celebration".

So does this act mark the end of the road for gay rights campaigning?

"It's one of the final jigsaw pieces to put in place," says Angela Eagle, one of the few openly lesbian MPs. But there are a few reforms required "round the edges", she adds, such as harsher sentences for violence targeting homosexuals and women.

Sexual 'apartheid'

The journey of the gay rights movement from fringe to political mainstream is neatly reflected by the career of Peter Tatchell, who began protesting in the UK in 1971 and is now preparing to stand as parliamentary candidate for the Green Party.

"We've overturned nearly all the homophobic legal discrimination in the last decade," he says. "The gay rights movement has been one of the most successful law reform movements of all time."

More than 30 years ago, the focus was on police harassment, the medical classification of homosexuality as a disease and pubs that refused to serve gays and lesbians.

LANDMARK LAWS
1999: Ban lifted on serving in Armed Forces
2001: Age of consent made 16
2002: Same-sex couples can adopt
2003: Repeal of Section 28
2005: Civil partnerships
2007: Equality laws 

Things have moved quickly since but there's still plenty to do, says Mr Tatchell, not least fixing the "sexual apartheid" which stops gay people from getting married and heterosexual couples from civil partnerships.

Other outstanding issues include addressing injustice for asylum seekers fleeing homophobic persecution and punishing homophobic reggae singers and Muslim clerics who openly advocate the murder of gay people but escape prosecution, he says.

But changing the law isn't everything, he says, because there are still bastions of homophobia such as sport and business.

Michael Cashman MEP, who co-founded Stonewall in 1988 with Ian McKellen and Douglas Slater, says: "Just because we have achieved equality doesn't mean we pack up and go home."

Laws can be changed suddenly, he says, and there is still homophobia within religious organisations and a rising tide of prejudice in eastern Europe.

Twenty years ago, Mr Cashman's on-screen gay kiss as Colin in EastEnders caused a storm and he believes that storyline began the social change which happened alongside the legal reform.

And the way the Pride events have become less political as a result is something to celebrate and not regret, he says.

"I think young gay people recognise that if you don't have time to party, you don't have time to live. Equality is absolutely about getting on with your life and the difference being taken out of the equation.

"What I love about Pride is seeing our Armed Forces and our police and fire service and ambulance service marching in their uniform, feeling proud and not feeling under threat."

But Mr Tatchell says young gay people should be more aware of the battles of the past.
"Since most of the institutional homophobia has been overturned, there's a creeping apathy and complacency within the lesbian and gay community.

"Most people no longer see the need to campaign. They take all the recent recognition for granted and assume that the battle for equality is over."

Ian Burford and Alex Cannell, partners for 45 years, remember the time when attending a gay pub could provoke a police raid and arrest.

"We were criminals and anyone eminent was open to blackmail," says Ian, 74. "But we were lucky our circle of friends were tolerant people living in a city."

Liberation

They were the first couple to sign the London Partnerships Register in 2001 and say the speed of change has surprised them.

But novelist Jake Arnott, creator of iconic gay gangster Harry Sparks in The Long Firm, hopes the legal reform is just the beginning.

"In the 70s there was a much stronger notion of liberation. It's good there's a sense of a level playing field but I think what needs to happen is a sort of return to that idea that there needs to be a whole sense of liberation about sexuality and gender.

"The problem is that it [this act] means everything is parcelled up and everyone gets their own slice of things, but there's still a huge problem in the way people express themselves or are allowed to express themselves in their emotional and sexual lives."

Add your comments on this story, using the form below.

The greatest tragedy is that since we've gained more equality in the UK, the concept of the political gay pride movement has died out. Try taking your civil partnership certificate outside Europe and see how equal you are. There are gay people in the world whose relationships are illegal, as they were here 40 years ago. We need gay pride marches which demand worldwide equality, not parades of drag queens. Whatever happened to campaigning?
Steve, Coventry, UK

Having read the bill, I think the legislation passed is sound. Changing the law doesn't change attitudes though. Even living in such a socio-liberal city as Brighton there are areas we don't feel safe in at night. This doesn't apply just to gay people however, it applies to all those who could be deemed different. Until our children, and indeed some of us who are much older (who can be conditioned by prejudice) are taught (at home and at school) that there are good folk and bad folk and no other factors for assessment, we cannot truly move forward
Reuben Fennell, Brighton

Whilst I support gay equality perhaps it is now time to stop all the hassle and complaints. They don't have to be "more equal" than others now do they?
Oli, Edinburgh

We have certainly made strides, leaps and bounds over the last 10 years towards full equality, and I for one will always be grateful to this Labour government. But until gay people can get married like straight people then we will remain unequal in the law. Meanwhile the battles against homophobia and homophobic bullying in schools and colleges continue, and here we have such a long way to go.
David Holder-Twomlow, Birmingham UK

I am old fashioned. I believe in Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve. However, I appreciate people have their rights, no matter how odd they appear in my eyes. But I also think this is another example of the state bowing to the wishes of a noisy and aggressive minority. At the same time, how about a promotion of values which research has shown would improve society? Marriage, family, etc. They do this in the States and records show an improvement on un-wanted pregnancies and also divorce rates have dropped. Isn't this the sort of society we want as well?
Anon, Cheshire

The past ten years have been amazing, and I am now in a civil partnership which is recognised by the law. But being gay is just as unremarkable as being straight. No issue can be constantly in the headlines, but the ubiquity of gay people and the everyday lives they are seen to lead feeds the growing acceptance by the general public. Yes, there are zealots out there who will always hate us, but the law is now on our side to protect us.
Tim, North Yorkshire

As a transplanted Brit living in the USA, I commend the UK for taking the bold steps to grant some degree of equality to its gay and lesbian citizens. However, until civil partnerships are accorded legal marriage recognition. They are a step in the right direction, but anyone who truly believes in equality should not settle for second best. Why would anyone want to settle for second-class citizenship which is what civil partnerships are all about, separate but "equal"?? The UK should have followed the lead of Holland, Belgium, Spain, Canada and S. Africa, the only countries that believe in true democracy and equality for all.
Robert W. Pierce, New York, USA

Please do not make the mistake of assuming that we all approve of gay rights, or even the legalisation of homosexuality for under-21s. In particular, the picture of two men kissing is particularly offensive to many people, especially on a website read by children.
Clothilde Simon, Leeds

I don't like the way 'religious homophobia' is mentioned in every one of these debates. Established and moderate religious organisations in this country are not 'phobic' of gay people - ie. they don't condone abuse against something they feel threatened by. It's just as much the right of the religious to simply incorporate a disapproval for homosexual acts into their practices as it is for gay people to be allowed to carry out homosexual acts.
Anon,

It's a bit like being black. You can be told that it's ok to be black although it never changes that you are...black, but what is relevant is how you are treated within society which cannot be legislated. People will always have their fears, misconceptions and prejudices. I would be a hypocrite if I didn't admit mine as a gay black male. I think we have a way to go as it relates to empathy for those who are different from us or hold different beliefs. I feel human rights is a more comprehensive goal for all people not just one group, although if it happens one group at a time, so much the better than not at all.
Kevin Spellman, London, UK

This is fantastic news for the gay community, it's another step in the right direction but we're still not totally there. For example gay men are still not allowed to give blood, is this not one of the most blatant discriminations of gay men ?
S.Hedgley, Belfast

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Gay Rights. Job done?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 11:17:00 am »
I think we are experiencing a backlash right now.    Yes, we have come along way, but the straight public is saying "enough is enough" for a while.

I overheard a few coworkers saying they were tired of all the "Gay" themed TV shows.     Will & Grace, ,Queer eye for the straight guy  gay dating shows,  gay people on reality shows etc etc.  It is too much too soon for them I guess.

Plus there seems to be a push here in the States for some States to ban Gay marriages or civil unions.     As if a Gay person getting married threatens the legitimacy of their heterosexual marriage.

The last time I looked more than 50% of all heterosexual marriages ended in divorce.    It doesn't look like they are doing so well are they?        Children do better in two parent households.   So isn't adding marriages better even if it is two dads or two moms?

As Robin Williams said: "Gay Marriage?   Sure, why shouldn't gays be as miserable as the rest of us?"   LOL.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 05:10:10 pm »
do you think young gays are becoming complacent?

Perhaps if there is a 'backlash' in the US this tide of activists will come again?

I'm not sure there is a backlash in the UK - apart from the weirdo religious types - or maybe I'm being niave and missing it...
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 08:25:54 pm »
Gay men and women will never have their job done.

Look at the women's movement.  Didn't women get the job done as far as women's equality 40 years ago?   Here we are, all these years later and two days ago I had a male conservative friend tell me that as a woman, my legal rights to my own body was something that needed to be 'discussed'.   >:(

Like women, gay men and women will have to constantly battle the conservative/liberal pendulum of social thought.  What is accepted in a liberal mood, will be anathema during a conservative phase years later.  Rights that gays considered 'inalienable' will be thought of as disposable when the next Congress gets voted in.

Our society - US anyway - is one where our people swing from one side of belief to another.  e.g. a major character in a successful 70's TV sitcom plot considered and got an abortion.  That sort of plot would be the kiss of death for ANY TV character/show on the small screen today.

What I wonder is - are all those people who thought that was acceptable adult television back in the 70's die off?  Where are they now?

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 01:16:13 am »
I think we are experiencing a backlash right now.    Yes, we have come along way, but the straight public is saying "enough is enough" for a while.

Ah David, don't put all straight people in that pile.  I bet don't even put MOST straight people in that pile.