Author Topic: the good girl  (Read 3550 times)

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
the good girl
« on: February 20, 2008, 03:07:18 am »
has anyone seen THE GOOD GIRL with jennifer anniston and our very own jake g. ?
i saw it years back and i liked it, and i just saw it again on t.v. tonight.  it's a very different movie, and i found it quite haunting and sad, but very good.
any one else?

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: the good girl
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 09:03:03 am »
I have it. I like it. I am collecting all of Jake's, Heath's, and Johnny Depp's movies.  :)

It was a funny movie with a lot of sad undertones. Sort of like "Waitress" to me. Have you seen that one? I think they are comparable in that the main character is dissatisfied with her mate -- and her lot in life generally. Which is a sad thing -- but it is sometimes handled in a comical manner in the film.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 08:50:03 pm »
I found it interesting.

SPOILERS           SPOILERS                    SPOILERS                      SPOILERS

I'm not sure I like the way it ended.  She's no better off at the end, now she's stuck with a child on top of it, someone guaranteed to really stress out the home and make her feel even more trapped, she's with a man who when he gets really angry and upset with his wife reacts violently toward her when he isn't smoking doobies to calm himself down.

What's going to happen later when the kid starts to grows up and looks nothing like him?

I think it ended very sadly and tragically for her.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 02:42:44 pm »
I found it interesting.

SPOILERS           SPOILERS                    SPOILERS                      SPOILERS

I'm not sure I like the way it ended.  She's no better off at the end, now she's stuck with a child on top of it, someone guaranteed to really stress out the home and make her feel even more trapped, she's with a man who when he gets really angry and upset with his wife reacts violently toward her when he isn't smoking doobies to calm himself down.

What's going to happen later when the kid starts to grows up and looks nothing like him?

I think it ended very sadly and tragically for her.

It was going to be tragically for her either way. She just made the most comforting choice. If she had ran away with Holden, she'd end up raising two kids (Holden and the baby) and broke. Her husband was not an example of maturity but at least he wasn't nuts like Holden, and had a job and a house. Also it was a situation she was already used to.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 08:39:28 pm »

SPOILERS!!!                 SPOILERS!!!!                      SPOILERS!!!

It was going to be tragically for her either way. She just made the most comforting choice. If she had ran away with Holden, she'd end up raising two kids (Holden and the baby) and broke. Her husband was not an example of maturity but at least he wasn't nuts like Holden, and had a job and a house. Also it was a situation she was already used to.

Well, she did have one more choice - not take either scenario - leave by herself.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 08:50:28 pm »

Well, she did have one more choice - not take either scenario - leave by herself.

Well, yes but keeping her husband would made things a lot easier for her. At least economically speaking. Leaving on her own would still be tragic for a woman like her. Starting a life all over again, on your own, with a baby on the way is not something many women would like to do. Her husband was an pothead and an idiot, but he loved her and she knew he would be there for her and the baby. At least she hoped so. Plus, she already had a job, and a home for the baby so there was no real point in leaving, even if that meant being a doormat. She could always divorce Phil and at least keep her job. I thought the ending was realistic.

I think Justine's problem was that she was bored with her life. Her daily routine bored her to death. That was the reason for her unhappiness. I think the whole movie speaks about boredom. Everyone there seemed bored and sought different ways of entertaiment. Phil and his friend smoked pot; Justine slept with Holden, the girl played by Zooey Deschanel insulted and made fun of the customers, and the guard went to bible study. Perhaps after learning she was pregnant, Justine saw a way out of her boredom, and didn't see the need to leave or change her life entirely by running away (with Holden or on her own).
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 09:12:46 pm »

Well, yes but keeping her husband would made things a lot easier for her. At least economically speaking. Leaving on her own would still be tragic for a woman like her. Starting a life all over again, on your own, with a baby on the way is not something many women would like to do. Her husband was an pothead and an idiot, but he loved her and she knew he would be there for her and the baby. At least she hoped so. Plus, she already had a job, and a home for the baby so there was no real point in leaving, even if that meant being a doormat. She could always divorce Phil and at least keep her job. I thought the ending was realistic.

I think Justine's problem was that she was bored with her life. Her daily routine bored her to death. That was the reason for her unhappiness. I think the whole movie speaks about boredom. Everyone there seemed bored and sought different ways of entertaiment. Phil and his friend smoked pot; Justine slept with Holden, the girl played by Zooey Deschanel insulted and made fun of the customers, and the guard went to bible study. Perhaps after learning she was pregnant, Justine saw a way out of her boredom, and didn't see the need to leave or change her life entirely by running away (with Holden or on her own).

Perhaps, but in troubled marriages -  Justine doesn't love her husband (HE loves her and probably only until he realizes the kid doesn't look like him) and a baby isn't going to make her love him or make their marriage any stronger.  Her job was a dead-end one, with no future that was easily replaceable in any town she chose to go to.  She can't divorce her husband now, she has a baby to take care of and no money for a lawyer.  So she's trapped even more than she was before.  Justine was not a very bright woman and had a complete lack of imagination.  She couldn't see herself doing anything or being anything other than she was and preferred in the end to tread water where she was.  What happens once the baby's demands become the typical drudge and the child starts to bore her too?  Her name I thought was apt - "Just" ine.  She's "just" existing.
[shrug] 

I thought it was a tragedy.  It started out that way and it ended that way.