Author Topic: Some of Vicki's stuff...  (Read 3016 times)

Offline Vicki

• Don't Say Much
Some of Vicki's stuff...
« on: April 22, 2007, 02:30:34 am »
Life flows from the body
Through open sores and open scars
By women's wombs and men's wars
Sometimes slowly oozing out
With much pain, heartshattering doubt
Sometimes bursting out our seams
Quickly drowning all our dreams
Life comes and goes in extremes
With moderation, until death, life succeeds.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Some of Vicki's stuff...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 02:39:04 am »
Thank you Vicki for posting that.  :)

It left me feeling very sad and thoughtful at the same time. Did you write this yourself?

It was beautiful.

Welcome to BetterMost!  :D 

We're glad to have you as a part of our family.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Vicki

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 12:49:25 pm »
Thank you Vicki for posting that.  :)

It left me feeling very sad and thoughtful at the same time. Did you write this yourself?

It was beautiful.

Welcome to BetterMost!  :D 

We're glad to have you as a part of our family.

Hey, thanx.  Yeah, I wrote this.  Sometimes things just come to my brain and I have legal pads all over the house to scribble these things down to get them out of my head.  It's the duality of everything about life and death, most of our experiences are either to one extreme or the other and only at the calm times can I find peace, or contentment.  Happiness is manic, sadness is depression, spontaneity is reckless impulsiveness, life  is death, and through death, we finally live.  Does that make any sense?  God bless!  Vicki

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 01:28:32 am »
Hey, thanx.  Yeah, I wrote this.  Sometimes things just come to my brain and I have legal pads all over the house to scribble these things down to get them out of my head.  It's the duality of everything about life and death, most of our experiences are either to one extreme or the other and only at the calm times can I find peace, or contentment.  Happiness is manic, sadness is depression, spontaneity is reckless impulsiveness, life is death, and through death, we finally live.  Does that make any sense?  God bless!  Vicki

Thanks for posting, Vicki - welcome to BetterMost, Friend.  I also appreciate your poem and some of the feelings it evokes in me.

I think that the duality that you describe above fits really nicely with some of the themes of Brokeback Mountain, but I do not know if you intended it or not - I suspect not.  ???

Nonetheless, I think that just goes to prove that BBM reached so many of us because the themes are universal:

Life flows from the body
...Life comes and goes in extremes
With moderation, until death, life succeeds.

These lines speak to me particularly - they make me think of Jack as he lies dying by the side of the road.  Maybe he reflected on his life, if he had the time, appreciating the high and passionate times he shared with Ennis.

Then I contrast that with Ennis' moderation - his inability to make the extreme commitment Jack so desired.  \\

At the end, you tie it up nicely - with Jack's death, Ennis learns how much he was really loved and how much he lost due to the cautious life he felt forced to live.  I'm in the camp who thinks Ennis agreeing to miss the round-up for Junior's wedding means that through Jack's death, Ennis learns to live and love or as you put it - "life succeeds."

Hugs,
Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."