Author Topic: Bitch, Bitch, Bitch  (Read 367581 times)

injest

Re: Bitch, Bitch, Bitch
« Reply #280 on: September 03, 2007, 12:12:35 am »
Hey Jess!...........

BOO!!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Got ya!!  :D

AIIIIYYIIII!!

*Jess goes and changes her britches....*

LOL!!!!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #281 on: September 03, 2007, 05:16:13 am »
Here's something that happened the other day...

I was looking for my cat, and Alex said he was in the cupboard! I thought to myself "what the hell?" and I immediately walked into the kitchen to find the cat. But Alex was talking about UPSTAIRS. Here in the US, a "cupboard" is something only found in the kitchen, ie, a kitchen cupboard (little spaces with doors above the kitchen counter). But he was talking about the bedroom CLOSET!

Apparently over there in Britain, ya'll call closets "cupboards". Over here, we call them CLOSETS!  ;)  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #282 on: September 03, 2007, 05:23:03 am »
Here's a few more, Susie!

Bonnet = Hood (the cover over the engine of a car)

Petrol = Gas

Tyre = Tire

Windscreen = Windshield

Engaged = Busy

That's another one Alex did to me!  :laugh:  I've been having these terrible headaches, and Alex was trying to call my doctor to make an appointment. He would dial and then hang up and tell me their phone was "engaged".

Huh?   ???

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #283 on: September 03, 2007, 05:54:40 am »
Being an American transplant in Britain, such confusions are an everyday event for me.

One thing Brits tend to say when they understand something and agree to it is:  "Brilliant!"  and the first few times a Brit said "Brilliant" to me I wanted to find out what was so brilliant about it.  Because I don't think Americans ever use "brilliant" to mean anything unless they are talking about the winner of the National Spelling Bee or the kid who skipped two grades in middle school!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #284 on: September 03, 2007, 10:48:51 am »
I was thinking about loose and lose and I think part of the problem is that "lose" is not pronounced the same as other "ose" words...

dose, hose, nose, pose, rose --> all have a long o sound while lose has the same oo sound of "choose" or "booze" or the u sound of "muse"

I think it would be better to spell lose either: luse or luze or looze.

My 2 cents.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #285 on: September 03, 2007, 11:04:16 am »
English is a very hard language to learn when it comes to pronounciation and spelling. It's grammar however is not as hard as Spanish grammar, IMO. Spanish grammar is quite difficult, partly because we have two verbs to be (ser and estar), gender (el , la)  and too many adverbs. There's also the accents rules. But when it comes to pronounciation and spelling we keep it simple. Words are spelled exactly as they are pronounced. We have only five standard sounds for vowels. Sometimes, I don't understand the logic of English pronounciation and spelling. For example the word through. Seven letters just to pronounce three. In Spanish, it'll be something like "tru". 
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #286 on: September 03, 2007, 11:20:56 am »
English is a very hard language to learn when it comes to pronounciation and spelling. It's grammar however is not as hard as Spanish grammar, IMO. Spanish grammar is quite difficult, partly because we have two verbs to be (ser and estar), gender (el , la)  and too many adverbs. There's also the accents rules. But when it comes to pronounciation and spelling we keep it simple. Words are spelled exactly as they are pronounced. We have only five standard sounds for vowels. Sometimes, I don't understand the logic of English pronounciation and spelling. For example the word through. Seven letters just to pronounce three. In Spanish, it'll be something like "tru". 

through is throo (that would be the phonetic spelling)

But you are right. Think of "tough" and "rough." Why isn't "stuff" spelled "stough"? (and looking at "stough" I would pronounce it "sto" with a long o). Or the other words should be spelled tuff and ruff?

This is the reason why we had to memorize spelling words all through elementary school!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #287 on: September 03, 2007, 01:18:39 pm »
Here's a few more, Susie!

Bonnet = Hood (the cover over the engine of a car)

Petrol = Gas

Tyre = Tire

Windscreen = Windshield

Engaged = Busy

That's another one Alex did to me!  :laugh:  I've been having these terrible headaches, and Alex was trying to call my doctor to make an appointment. He would dial and then hang up and tell me their phone was "engaged".

Huh?   ???

:laugh: :laugh:
[/quote}

When you made that statement, I could just visualize the two phones looking at (rings, of the diamond
,      variety_)        ???

Beautiful mind

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #288 on: September 03, 2007, 04:59:31 pm »
Yeah, the English language is weird. Like with the word "limb". Why is the b silent? And then, if you add a "c" (climb) the "i" becomes long! Why? This shatters all the rules of English phonetics.

Check these out!

Tough (tuf)
Trough (troff)
Though (thoe) add an h, and you get a long O sound.
Through (throo) stick an r in it, and the diphthong sound changes again! Why?
Thought (thawt)

If we replace the "t" with a "b" we get bough (bow)

Huh?   ??? 

Maybe it's because the English language has borrowed so many words from other languages. Do you think? That's the only explanation I can come up with!   :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #289 on: September 04, 2007, 04:41:59 am »

Hehehe!  I didn't realise that you don't use the word "Engaged" when referring to a busy line ... I thought everybody did!  And talking of cars, we say "boot", you say "trunk": we say "lorry", you say "truck"!

And what about men's .... em .... doodars??  We often refer the them as his "Meat and two Veg" or his "Lunchbox"!!

And what ever you do, don't comment on a British woman's "fanny" or you'll get a swift kick in the goolies!!   :o

Susie

I found out about that one the hard way.... well sort of. I once told Alex it was time to get his fanny in bed, and he gave me a weird look.  :laugh:

I had NO idea! Over here, fanny means "bottom" or "butt". My MOTHER talked about my "fanny" when I was 3 years old, for God's sake!!

:laugh:  :laugh:

Fanny is a very non offensive word over here. But say it to a British person and you nearly get your ass kicked for it!  ;)  ;)  :D