Author Topic: May, 1983: Where were you?  (Read 13098 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
May, 1983: Where were you?
« on: May 05, 2007, 04:29:32 pm »
As Ennis and Jack were contorting a coat hanger in a trailhead parking lot:

I had finished up my sophmore year in college at a little Baptist School with a keg party that left me with a hang  over for company on my ride home in an overloaded 1971 Pontiac LeMans.

By the end of the month I was cutting grass at a State Park, and discovering the joys of guy watching sunglasses.  ;D 8)
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: May, 1983: Where were you?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 05:18:32 pm »
I was 14 years old and in junior high. I really don't remember what I was doing. I was probably in love with some boy who didn't even know I was alive! LOL
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 07:12:19 pm »
May 1983.  Hmmm.

I was finishing up my sophomore year in college.  Organic chemistry, yuk.  I was getting ready to house-sit for the summer, and I would have access to a car (interestingly, David, also a green station wagon...?Nissan?).

I had a steady boyfriend then, and we went out dancing all the time then.  Good times!

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 07:21:44 pm »

I had a steady boyfriend then, and we went out dancing all the time then.  Good times!

Wow, are you from the Boston area? Generally where you are now?

May, 1983 was also, the first time I had sex.

I should have been dancing.  ;D

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 07:24:24 pm »
Wow, are you from the Boston area? Generally where you are now?

May, 1983 was also, the first time I had sex.

I should have been dancing.  ;D
Hey, Tru, I'm still in Boston, and you've been to my house! :)

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 07:25:56 pm »
In 1983 i was 22.  i liked to party, but also went to VoTech... took Ophthalmic Technology.  I had the aptitude for it and figured i needed to learn something where i could always get a job.   I shard an apartment with another woman in St Pete, Fl.  I had a few boyfriends and my first girlfriend and I partied.  I really got into going to gay bars and hanging with glbt.  It was the time of my life.. I was on my own away from family living downtown in a city.  Thats my story...

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 08:10:01 pm »
Yeah, that is what is so wild, it is like I got to know you folks, and we have been thru the same stuff, what was it like for you? May of 1983 I was for the first time thinking "hey this is it, this is it for me" and the feelings of estacy and apprehension were running high.

And at the same time I was becoming aware of HIV, and thinking "why? why now?" :(

Offline fritzkep

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 08:15:12 pm »
35 at the time, my partner Earl and I were still living in an apartment at the time (didn't buy the house till the next year). Was working for the German Military then as now. I was probably planning a trip to Newfoundland, which I took the next month.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 01:13:25 am »
I was 22, in my last year of my Bachelors program , I had just found out I was accepted to law school in Southern California...I thought the world was my oyster  ::)  I still had quite a bit of growing up to do ;)
Life is not a dress rehearsal

injest

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 06:05:48 am »
35 at the time, my partner Earl and I were still living in an apartment at the time (didn't buy the house till the next year). Was working for the German Military then as now. I was probably planning a trip to Newfoundland, which I took the next month.

24 years? Way to go, Fritz!!! How long have you and Earl been together total?

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 07:24:22 am »
May 1983, I was 18 months old and potty training!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2007, 08:24:52 am »
May 1983 was a very happy time for me. I was 15. I was in so-called "Landschulheim": your whole school class goes on vacation together, with your main teacher and a second teacher of the opposite gender. Usually the lodging is hostle-like. Four, six or even eight pupils share one room with bunk beds (and that's part of the fun  :)).
The teachers try their best to keep males and females apart from another during the nights, but the kids will always find a way to sneak in  ;D.
We were in the Dolomites, a part of the Alps and our teachers had us hiking or visiting museums for hours and hours. Also part of the fun was to escape from their surveillance and sit in a pub instead of a museum  ;D.
The boy I had been crazy about for months and I finally came together there in Landschulheim, yay! But boy, he was such an Ennis. Although he was just as crazy for me (as I learned much, much later) he couldn't be free and open about it. He was so inhibited and uptight, the thing between us ended soon later.
And I started smoking up there in the mountains of the Alps ::). Yes, Landschulheim is a Gomorrah - hell for the teachers but heaven for the teenagers  :laugh:.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2007, 10:15:16 am »
May 1983...I was 27 years old, married, and living in Maine. I was getting ready to head to Cleveland, OH for 8 weeks (I left on May 30) to begin doctoral study at Case Western Reserve University.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2007, 11:31:03 am »
I was living in Claremont, California, with my sweetheart and planning to get married in August...for the second time.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2007, 11:48:12 am »
Wow, May of 1983!
I was 16 and this exact weekend (may 5th) was my Prom. I Picked my girlfriend up in my '73 cutlass.
I was a junior in highschool. With the world in front of me.
Oh if I only knew then what I know now!
I worked at Johnsons hardware store after school. The store closed at noon on Wednesdays so everyone could go to Church for Wednesday night prayer meetin.
Boy, life was a lot simpler then for me!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2007, 11:49:36 am »
I was 4 years old and in kindergarten!  The world was my oyster too!  ;D

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2007, 03:44:21 pm »
It was one month before my 24th birthday.  I had just left the large East Coast egalitarian commune I'd lived in for three years, and had spent the winter and early spring visiting some of the communes of the Pacific Northwest, learning about ways of living together, and having a high ol' time.  Gorgeousness was mine - if only I had realized it at the time.

In May 1983, I had just settled down at a small farming commune in a very rural isolated part of the Midwest.  Having grown up in the heart of New York City, and having hardly even held a hammer, I was suddenly learning everything new - construction, blacksmithing, farming, gardening, being socially and culturally isolated, living in nature. 

In New York, talking about the weather was synonymous with having nothing to talk about.  On the farm, talking about the weather was talking about what really mattered - what would determine our day, week, season, year.

I learned invaluable amounts there.  Also met and left with the man who would become my first husband, but that didn't happen til 1987.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2007, 04:31:42 pm »
May 1983?

Eeek. ...

Age 25, still living in my home town. Not "out" yet, to myself or anybody.  ::) That's about the time a friend and I decided to get an apartment together because we both wanted to get out from under our respective parental roofs.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2007, 06:35:07 pm »
I remember this month like it was yesterday.

I was 20 and I was finishing up college, and I didn't get into the graduate program I was made to think I wanted to go into. So it wasn't the best time.  I ended up going into another one instead that I much later realized wasn't really for me either.  But it was exactly this time that I first discovered and got into all the amazing music that was out then. That did lead to some good times and great friends.

Offline fritzkep

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2007, 08:23:45 pm »
24 years? Way to go, Fritz!!! How long have you and Earl been together total?

This coming November it will be 29 years. Monday after Thanksgiving, 1978, when we realized, after he went to visit his family in New Jersey, that we were crazy about each other. We still are.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2007, 09:19:05 pm »
May, 1983 I was still managing Castleton Square I, II, III, a General Cinema movie theatre located inside the mall. And since I was on a salary, I worked from 10 am to midnight 6 days a week. It sucked. It sucked big time. But, I still made it to the bars after work compliments of my handy dandy fake ID.

Talbot Street and The 21 Club were my bars of choice back then. Talbot Street was a preppy upscale 3 level bar located in the old Black Curtain dinner theatre building. The 21 Club, just a few doors down from Talbot Street, was a very informal and "down to earth" bar. There was a lot of rivalry between the two bars; Talbot Street patrons looked down on the 21 Club crowd, and the 21 Club group thought the people at Talbot Street were snobby and stuck up. So, I went to both bars!  Normally, I would first go to Talbot Street and then walk down to the 21 Club an hour or two later. Those were great times back then.

I was also car jacked two months earlier, and I celebrated my 21st birthday 4 months later!  :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2007, 11:53:04 pm »
This coming November it will be 29 years. Monday after Thanksgiving, 1978, when we realized, after he went to visit his family in New Jersey, that we were crazy about each other. We still are.

congratulations! that is something to celebrate for sure!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2007, 12:36:10 am »
congratulations! that is something to celebrate for sure!

what Jess said.

Congratulations Fritz!!  :D

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2007, 12:50:12 am »
There was a lot of rivalry between the two bars;........................................So, I went to both bars!   

This s one of my favorite things about you, David!    :-*

Offline Kay-Nasty

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Just Sending Up A Prayer Of Thanks"
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2007, 02:30:11 am »
May 1983 ??? ??? ??? ???

Well, as sad as it is to say, I wasn't even thought about. I didn't come around for another 7 years and 7 months.  :( :(
I feel so young!!!! I haven't even begun to live yet!!! :(

:D :D

"I never had money, and I was very happy without it. When I die, my money's not gonna come with me. My movies will live on - for people to judge what I was as a person."  ~Heath, I swear

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2007, 03:02:52 am »
May 1983 ??? ??? ??? ???

Well, as sad as it is to say, I wasn't even thought about. I didn't come around for another 7 years and 7 months.  :( :(
I feel so young!!!! I haven't even begun to live yet!!! :(

:D :D

You are just getting started Kay! Someday, 2007 will be your 1983!  :D

Welcome to BetterMost, BTW!!  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2007, 03:05:53 am »

This s one of my favorite things about you, David!    :-*

Aww! Thank you Clarissa!  :-*

Back then I was running on all 8 pistons. Youthful raging hormones probably had something to do with it too!  :)

These days, I'm down to 7 1/2 pistons I guess. Still, that's probably not too bad for someone in their 40's!  ;)  :D

mvansand76

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2007, 06:41:04 am »
I was 6 years old and.... I went to group 1 in school, and I remember my lovely teacher and there were only 10 kids in my class... and a bunny! My teacher left at the end of that school year to travel the world... when she came back she had henna on her hands....

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2007, 09:45:11 am »

In May 1983, I had just settled down at a small farming commune in a very rural isolated part of the Midwest.  Having grown up in the heart of New York City, and having hardly even held a hammer, I was suddenly learning everything new - construction, blacksmithing, farming, gardening, being socially and culturally isolated, living in nature. 

And you met the Luck brothers, Huey and Julian, the last people to have known the Missouri Giantess, Miss Ella Ewing!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2007, 10:05:04 am »
Aww! Thank you Clarissa!  :-*

Back then I was running on all 8 pistons. Youthful raging hormones probably had something to do with it too!  :)

These days, I'm down to 7 1/2 pistons I guess. Still, that's probably not too bad for someone in their 40's!  ;)  :D

"Ennis ran full throttle on all roads, whether fence mending or money spending. . ."

Hey, I love you too, David!!

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2007, 12:48:45 pm »
all these young, youthful and happy times in 1983! That is great but in stark contrast to my own....

Already by the spring of '83, several friends has died of a very strange, unknown malady. It had just been labeled AIDS, but almost nothing was known. Every morning on the radio, the "aids count" included numbers of deaths the previous day and new cases reported. May 1983 was not a happy time for my surroundings.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2007, 01:47:17 pm »
You guys have memories like elephants.  I've no idea what I was doing.  Probably was at home with my parents.

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2007, 05:51:37 pm »
all these young, youthful and happy times in 1983! That is great but in stark contrast to my own....

Already by the spring of '83, several friends has died of a very strange, unknown malady. It had just been labeled AIDS, but almost nothing was known. Every morning on the radio, the "aids count" included numbers of deaths the previous day and new cases reported. May 1983 was not a happy time for my surroundings.

I will certainly be the first to admit that I was a very sheltered and naive 22 year old.  Oh I knew the basic facts of life but I was not that in-tune as yet with the world outside the rarefied halls of home or academia.  That and home on the ranch were the universe I revolved between.  It was probably another 5 years, when I had my first clerking position, that I really became aware of Aids and the devastation that it was bringing upon the world at large and gays in particular.  As I said in 1983 I still had a boat load of growing up to do.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2007, 06:38:09 pm »
May, 1983.  With summa cum laude in English in hand, I  had finally enrolled in graduate school, part time, evenings, worked, part time weekends, and worked full time as a staff assistant and junior systems administrator for the fundraising arm of Public Television in Boston, WGBH.  I was studying foreign literature, specializing in modern German literature in seminars on Kafka and Mann in the School of Arts and Sciences at Harvard, tutoring 3 nights a week with Amy Wissinger, PhD candidate in the German Language and Literature program, and had in my sights the secret plan of my life: to abandon spouse and stepson and escape to Tübingen University and become a suicidal German scholar.  Spring 1983 was the seminar in Kafka and Mann and I had published my monograph on the mystical significance of the French allegory, the Romance of the Rose.

We lived in a tiny garret apartment in north Cambridge, Massachusetts, and I was finally making enough money to move us to a larger apartment, one with actual ceilings instead of eaves, five blocks away, for a whopping $395 a month.  I might be able to convince my husband to actually get a job to help support our more posh lifestyle that involved a dining room and full sized oven.

My husband, 14 years older than I, had not worked at a job since moving in with me after my 18th birthday in 1978.  Working two jobs, finally clearing an amazing $22,000 a year between the day, evening, and weekend, I could afford both graduate school and the apartment.  And I somehow didn't think I was doing quite enough for my family.  Hence the secret escape plan, which was hidden, even from myself most of the time.  He threatened suicide almost weekly.  I worked harder.  Somehow, there was never enough work to give him enough distractions to please him.

Looking back, it is not a pleasant memory.

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2007, 06:57:27 pm »

Very sad indeed.. In 1983, i had not yet heard of the deadly disease. That awareness came later in 80's. 

With the crazy promiscuous lifestyle i lead, i was very fortunate not to be a victims of AIDS. 

Rest the soles who we've lost.

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2007, 10:36:29 pm »
In May of 1983 I was just turning 3 years old.  My birthday is May 4th.  I was probably celebrating with my sand bucket somewhere in Virginia Beach, VA.
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

RodneyFL

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2007, 11:12:48 pm »
In May of 1983, I was 36 and the church I was working for was in process of celebrating my 10 year anniversary as their organist/director of music.  The church was in the middle of a new organ project, so it was quite a productive and creative time for me.  I was also on the music faculty of a small college just NW of Kansas City, and I was one of the fortunate few who was able to eek out a modest living as a professional church musician in the Kansas City area. 

I was also preparing to spend a good portion of the summer in the picturesque city of Graz, in the foothills of the Austrian Alps, where I worked for a summer music institute.  I was happily involved with a very good-looking man 11 years my junior, and we owned a lovely 2-story house, had 2 dogs and 2 cats.  It was a good time for me then.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2007, 11:35:08 pm »
Oftentimes I reminesce about what I was doing in the '80s and my FRiend EDelMar infuriates me by saying, "I was two years old then!"

::)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2007, 12:25:09 am »
Oftentimes I reminesce about what I was doing in the '80s and my FRiend EDelMar infuriates me by saying, "I was two years old then!"

::)

Yeah Lee, I get that too sometimes.

Melissa, where are you??!!  >:(

:laugh:  :laugh:

Kay posted somewhere in this thread that she wouldn't even be born for another 7 years! That one really did make me feel old!  ;)  :D

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2007, 08:51:37 am »

In May 1983 I was 33 and living with the man I loved in a beautiful apartment overlooking the Pacific Ocean in Sydney Australia.   :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Br. Patrick

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "So what're we gonna do now?"
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2007, 04:51:33 am »
In May of 1983, I spent the last two weeks of yearly two week vacations with Br. Stephen in New York City.  All in all, I was there 6 weeks over 3 years.  And each time I visited we spent time on all of the skyscrapers.  Especially the World Trade Center.  I loved those buildings.  On September 11, 2001 I woke up and knew something had happened.   I turned on the TV and the first plane had just hit.   I saw the rest of that horrible day live, as it happened.  I didn't leave my apartment until the middle of October of 2001.

Back to topic... In June 1983 I spent my first month with our new Apple IIe computer.  It was bought in May and just sat there.   I sat down one day and didn't get up unless I absolutely had to.  By February of 1984, my first machine language program won a contest in Nibble Magazine. Those were the days...

peace :)
br. patrick
Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road
In a world that may say that we're wrong.

...Cause I know - A love that will never grow old.

Gustavo Santaolalla & Bernie Taupin

Offline Zander

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No reins on me.
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2007, 05:30:04 am »
Living in Newcastle, UK with my man - we are still together  ;)