Author Topic: Totally OT: Gas prices  (Read 10008 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Totally OT: Gas prices
« on: April 25, 2006, 09:38:11 am »
This is the anything goes forum, right?

So what are folks paying for gas? It cost me $40.50 to fill up my car this morning (and I don't drive a SUV!). Jeez. $2.89/gal for regular here in Portland, ME.

BTW, for anyone who is interested, lobster is $7.99/lb at the fish store, $5.50/lb from the guy in the truck on the side of the road.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Ray Nasty!
Re: Totally OT: Gas prices
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 09:43:14 am »
Majorly!  I paid $17.20 to some guy this morning to travel 15km and I don't even own a car!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 09:44:45 am by Ray »
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 09:53:06 am »
Well, lnicoll, if a gallon is 4 liters, you're still better off than I am, because here in France we now pay 1,30 Euros for a liter (= $ 1,50)! Shit.
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 09:59:44 am »
Well, lnicoll, if a gallon is 4 liters, you're still better off than I am, because here in France we now pay 1,30 Euros for a liter (= $ 1,50)! Shit.

She-yit, that's hard.  I thought it was bad enough in Australia - AU$1.40/litre (US$4.20/gl).
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 10:26:26 am »
I keep telling myself it's okay...last summer when we had the car in Norway (we bought it in Sweden) it cost me $80 to fill it up. I am trying to remember what the price was-- 11 NKR/L, I think.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 10:45:12 am »
it's $2.79 a gallon here...

rtprod

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 10:56:27 am »
It's $3.15 here....   ???

rt 

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 11:03:11 am »
It's $3.15 here....   ???

rt 

Brandon is Wichita, rt, LA?

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 11:06:54 am »
$3.09 here in Santa Clara, CA.  The most expensive I have ever seen.  The cheapest time I remembered was back in 1999, $0.75 in NC.

I should work from home more to save on the gas.  :P

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 11:10:03 am »
$3.09 here in Santa Clara, CA.  The most expensive I have ever seen.  The cheapest time I remembered was back in 1999, $0.75 in NC.

Was it really under a dollar in 1999? I have a hard time remembering those days...

When I was in college, I could fill my car for $5 and believe me, I had a BOAT (it was my grandmother's old car).
Of course, I went to college in a prior century  ;)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 12:21:23 pm »
Well, the price seems to change daily I swear.    This past Saturday it was $2.95 for the lowest 87 octane,  Valero brand gasoline.   

What really baked my beans is that a gallon of Hood 2% Milk is now $4.49 !  :o

Makes the price of gas seem reasonable!   LOL

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 12:47:12 pm »

Was it really under a dollar in 1999? I have a hard time remembering those days...

When I was in college, I could fill my car for $5 and believe me, I had a BOAT (it was my grandmother's old car).
Of course, I went to college in a prior century  ;)

Yep, $0.75 per gallon.  It was on one of our road trip.  The cheapest we have seen was in NC at that time.  But I only came to US in 1997, and only started to care for gasoline price in 1998. :)

vkm91941

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 01:57:54 pm »
For 87 octane it's an average of $3.02 here in San Diego some stations still as low as $2.89 per gallon with some as high as $3.20.   I'm still getting mine for $2.89 per gallon a t Costco.. but who know how much longer that will be.  Forecasters are saying the lowest price will be $3.15 by the Memorial Day weekend.

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 06:09:56 pm »
I swear Newfoundland has the highest gas prices. Just under $6/gallon here. Crazy huh? Makes me glad I don't have a car. But I often pay for gas for friends.  :-\

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 08:05:58 pm »
I saw on the evening  news that gas is 35 cents a gallon in Iran and 12 cents a gallon in Venezuela. Just an FYI.

Offline juneaux

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2006, 08:48:16 pm »
$2.89/ gallon and I live in TX (not on the coast where the refineries are located).
Truth never damages a cause that is just.
~Mohandas Gandhi

Offline CoyotePiper

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2006, 09:14:36 pm »
Here in Rhode Island 87 octane is $2.93 or so.

I just got back from a 4 week snowboard trip to Wyoming, Colorado, Utah. When I arrived in Denver, (middle of March) gas was around $2.60 a gallon. But, when I crossed the state line into Wyoming it was going for $2.23 a gallon.

Why the nearly $0.40 difference? I know they pump it there in WY, Curt was a roughneck after all. But don't they pump it in CO too? Is it a taxing difference?

BTW, in the Mountain states regular gas is 85 octane not 87. I guess at 6000 ft and more above sea level a car doesn't need 87 octane anymore.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2006, 09:37:06 pm »
$3.09 for Regular Unleaded here in Boca Raton.  WTF?  I guess the oil companies just jack the prices up every now and again because... they can.   >:(
No more beans!

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2006, 10:37:07 pm »
It's running around $3.04 a gallon at the pricey Mobil station near my house, so it's probably just around the $3.00 mark here in Rochester.  A lot of people are buying gas at the huge mini-marts as well as Wal-Mart, BJ's and Sam's Club trying to save a few cents.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

vkm91941

From the paper here today
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2006, 02:57:51 am »
San Diego Drivers Paying Highest Gasoline Prices in U.S.     
04-27-2006 7:18 PM

(San Diego, CA) -- Gasoline prices increased eleven-cents nationally this week and more than twice that in San Diego. The latest Metro Source Price @ The Pump Survey shows San Diego drivers are now paying the highest prices in the nation: 3-dollars-25-cents-a-gallon for self-serve regular, up 24-cents from one week ago. The national average for regular unleaded is now 2-dollars-94-cents-a-gallon, up 71-cents from the price one year ago.<

Copyright 2006 Metro Networks Communications Inc., A Westwood One Company 

Offline David

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2006, 07:29:15 am »
Sigh...      The real pisser is that not only do we get to watch our gas prices rise everyday, but we hear on the news that Exxon/Mobil keep reporting record profits. >:( 

I almost feel guilty for complaining about the price we pay, as I know our friends over seas pay alot more and have for some time.     But it still sucks.   :-\

Offline CoyotePiper

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2006, 02:15:59 pm »
There is also the difference between gross earnings and net profit. I believe Exxon/Mobile has a profit of 10% after all the bills are paid. So on every $1.00 they take in they have a profit of 10 cents.

This is not really out of line. I believe Microsoft has a net profit of 30% which is triple what E/M earns. If anything E/M has a fair profit and is not gouging at all compared to MS. The real pig is MS.

Yes you are paying 60 to 80 cents more per gallon but the price of crude has also gone to 75 bucks a barrel.

What I can't figure out is why the price of an airplane ticket on Southwest has not budged since last spring. Do they lock in long term fuel contracts or something? I zip back and forth to Tampa and I'm still booking at last years rate. (withing a couple of bucks) I went to Denver in mid March, just before the big run up and I can book that exact passage right now at the same price.

And I've been watching the Las Vegas trip just for fun and it too has not changed in over a year. How are they controlling the jet fuel costs?

Offline David

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2006, 04:20:26 pm »
. How are they controlling the jet fuel costs?

You know how lost luggage has increased alarmingly in the past 2 years?   

They are recovering fuel costs by selling our luggage!   :laugh:   

rtprod

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2006, 12:32:50 pm »
$3.27 here today.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2006, 06:39:23 pm »
Bringing this thread back to life...gas has gone down here (Portland, ME)...$2.85/gal today

TJ

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2006, 09:16:07 pm »
I haven't owned a vehicle since '91. But, I have bought gas for other people a lot since them.

That cartoon above reminded me when I lived in NE Missouri where I was teaching in 69-70 and I made a trip back to Tulsa, Oklahoma once a month. Tulsa has two refineries and in those days.

There was a gas war going on in the Missouri Ozarks and I found it interesting that could buy gas for 5 to 10 cents a gallon cheaper than the very same brands which were from the same Tulsa refineries. I got it for 20-22 cents a gallon then.

Offline DecaturTxCowboy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2006, 11:53:12 pm »
BTW, in the Mountain states regular gas is 85 octane not 87. I guess at 6000 ft and more above sea level a car doesn't need 87 octane anymore.

At reduced atmospheric pressure, gasoline burns with a lower velocity flame front, therefore you don't need as much ignition retardants. The higher the octane, the less explosive the fuel.
Take it like a man - steady and strong, not a lot of fuss and carring on.  True to a promise, I can ride in any storm.  So bend over and take it like a man...Too much of a good thing is a good thing.

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2006, 01:46:59 pm »
What was the gas price for the memorial weekend?

I had to fill up my tank at $3.65 per gallon in a small town, Cambria, along Highway 1.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2006, 02:05:05 pm »
I don't think they are actively producing oil in Colorado any more. (Natural gas, yes, from coalbed methane, both down around Durango and up near Rifle. I don't think the Denver basin is actively producing any more, though. I could be wrong, though... I'm not in the industry.)

I think they're producing in western Wyoming again, though. (They found that oil late in the boom, I think.) And there's a new find in eastern Utah, too. They're refining the oil in Salt Lake City, I think. At least, that's the reason I've heard for the lower gasoline prices up there.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 04:50:40 pm by nakymaton »
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2006, 08:48:39 pm »
It's been $2.93 at the cheapest in SW Colorado. It didn't change over the weekend, despite being a tourist area at the beginning of the summer season.

I don't think they are actively producing oil in Colorado any more. (Natural gas, yes, from coalbed methane, both down around Durango and up near Rifle. I don't think the Denver basin is actively producing any more, though. I could be wrong, though... I'm not in the industry.)

I think they're producing in western Wyoming again, though. (They found that oil late in the boom, I think.) And there's a new find in eastern Utah, too. They're refining the oil in Salt Lake City, I think. At least, that's the reason I've heard for the lower gasoline prices up there.

Gas prices aren't any lower in SLC....ridiculous!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2006, 09:25:53 pm »
I have seen prices ranging from $2.62 to $2.82/gal for regular here in Southern Maine. Drove to Boston today and most stations seemed to be averaging $3.00/gal...

L
xo

Offline David

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2006, 09:37:10 pm »
It has dropped here to $2.96 a gallon for 87 octane.

But still, I just topped off my car with 14 gallons and it was $42.00 !       

It doesn't seem like that long ago you could top off for $10.00 !

A $20 fill up seemed expensive!    LOL    I miss those days.   Wait, that was only 2 yrs ago right?   

Thanks George Bush!   :P

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2006, 04:34:04 pm »
I saw gas at $1.99 per gallon yesterday!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2006, 04:59:25 am »
sniff.. you guys are making me cry...

I fill my little tank up and its about £40.

Current UK petrol prices are...

Per litre
0.85 UK£ = 1.26 Euro = 1.62 USD

Per gallon
3.22 UK£ = 4.79 Euro = 6.16 USD

So we're paying almost the same for a litre as you lot ae paying for a gallon! and our prices have gone DOWN recently!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2006, 09:04:12 pm »
Actually I was thinking about this thread today. I am glad it was resurrected.

I have to drive my daughter to school this year and on the way we pass BJ's which advertises the cheapest gas around. There is a Getty station a few yards up the road which is in direct competition on prices. Then, about 2 miles away is a Sunoco station which also has cheap gas. Because this is new for me (driving Hannah) this is not my time-worn route to work...it is also on the outskirts of Portland. I have noticed that prices downtown (a distance of 3 miles) are very different from the BJs/Getty/Sunoco prices.

Over the past few weeks, they have been dropping, dramatically. The lowest I saw was $1.99/gal at the Sunoco, with a purchase of a car wash. $2.09 without.

Lowest at BJs was $2.06/gal.

There was one day last week when the Getty was actually lower than BJs (BJs: 2.11, getty: 2.09).

This week.. prices are creeping back up. Today, BJs was 2.10 and Getty was 2.17. I was amazed....these two stations have never been more than a penny or two apart...today, 7 cents. My daughter noticed too. My answer: "The election was last week."

The Sunoco station was at 2.19/gal and downtown, the Mobil was 2.25.

I am not a big believer in economic theory but watching gas prices, I could become a convert.

Leslie