Author Topic: This is really nasty!  (Read 10634 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
This is really nasty!
« on: May 07, 2007, 03:29:53 pm »
This is just about the most disgusting thing I've read in a long time!  :P

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/doctor-finds-spiders-in-boys-ear/20070507071609990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

I have this terrible fear of things crawling in my ears; especially when I'm sleeping. God how awful!

Some fire ants once crawled in my ear and I had to pour rubbing alcohol in there to get them out. It was terrible.

But SPIDERS!!!   :o

:P  :P
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Scott6373

Re: This is really nasty!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 03:34:15 pm »
This is just about the most disgusting thing I've read in a long time!  :P

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/doctor-finds-spiders-in-boys-ear/20070507071609990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

I have this terrible fear of things crawling in my ears; especially when I'm sleeping. God how awful!

Some fire ants once crawled in my ear and I had to pour rubbing alcohol in there to get them out. It was terrible.

But SPIDERS!!!   :o

:P  :P

LOL...it was all over the news this morning...David I never thought of you as the squeemish type.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 03:36:08 pm »
My ex-boyfriend's ex-roommate had to be driven to Emergency one night - he was in a lot of pain - and the doctor on staff pulled a roach from his ear canal.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 04:10:18 pm »
My eldest daughter woke up with pain in her ear this morning....

and then i read this. Creepy! She's in bed now, I hope she's feeling better tomorrow.  :-\
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 04:15:44 pm »
My eldest daughter woke up with pain in her ear this morning....

and then i read this. Creepy! She's in bed now, I hope she's feeling better tomorrow.  :-\

Oh I hope she will be okay! I'm sure it's just an earache. But if she is still hurting tomorrow, you might want to shine a flashlight in her ear just to make sure.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 04:23:59 pm »
My ex-boyfriend's ex-roommate had to be driven to Emergency one night - he was in a lot of pain - and the doctor on staff pulled a roach from his ear canal.

Eeeeew!  :o :o :o
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 04:27:01 pm »

WHOO!!!  :o

Oh God. Did it crawl in his ear while he was sleeping?

I don't know which would be worse, a roach or a spider.  :P

And I thought those fire ants were bad.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 04:28:09 pm »
WHOO!!!  :o

Oh God. Did it crawl in his ear while he was sleeping?

I don't know which would be worse, a roach or a spider.  :P

And I thought those fire ants were bad.

Time to invest in a set of earplugs. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 04:46:33 pm »
Yes, it crawled in his ear when he was sleeping.

In order to get him to relax, the doctor told him it was simply a small spider.  Then she had to tweeze the roach out in pieces.   :-X

I thanked all the gods for my long hair which tends to snarl and capture anything that might come near my ears.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 05:23:43 pm »
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 05:31:24 pm »
Eeeeewwwwww!   Reminds me of the book Mortal Lessons: Notes on the Art of Surgery by Dr. Richard Selzer that I read in college.  Richard Selzer's memoir and experiences are the facts that the character of Hawkeye in M.A.S. H. is based on. ANYWAY, he wrote about some big bug that laid it's eggs in the deltoid of a young man when it bit him in the Amazon and how several months later as the young mans health began to deteriorate and the wound in the arm kept getting bigger and bigger...Dr Seltzer decided to probe the wound and image his surprise when something inside the arm probed back and then wrenched the forceps from his fingers.  Once he got a good hold on whatever it was a mighty struggle ensued with Dr Seltzer finally pulling the creature from the deltoid with a sickening plop. The egg had hatched incubated in the warm host and the critter had been feeding on this young mans blood and muscle tissue as it grew to maturity.  Apparently a common affliction among cattle in the South American Rainforest.   I almost threw up and then went right out and bought the strongest deep wood insect repellant I could find!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 05:44:04 pm by dot-matrix »
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 05:39:16 pm »
Then there is the story of Dr. Robert A. Lopez, a veterinarian, who infected his own ears with mites (from a cat) to see what it would feel like. He even won an Ig Nobel prize for his efforts.

ENTOMOLOGY Robert A. Lopez of Westport, NY, valiant veterinarian and friend of all creatures great and small, for his series of experiments in obtaining ear mites from cats, inserting them into his own ear, and carefully observing and analyzing the results. [Dr. Lopez's report was published in "The Journal of the American Veterinary Society," vol. 203, no. 5, Sept. 1, 1993, pp. 606-607.]

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 05:54:35 pm »
Eeeeewwwwww!   Reminds me of the book Mortal Lessons: Notes on the Art of Surgery by Dr. Richard Selzer that I read in college.  Richard Selzer's memoir and experiences are the facts that the character of Hawkeye in M.A.S. H. is based on. ANYWAY, he wrote about some big bug that laid it's eggs in the deltoid of a young man when it bit him in the Amazon and how several months later as the young mans health began to deteriorate and the wound in the arm kept getting bigger and bigger...Dr Seltzer decided to probe the wound and image his surprise when something inside the arm probed back and then wrenched the forceps from his fingers.  Once he got a good hold on whatever it was a mighty struggle ensued with Dr Seltzer finally pulling the creature from the deltoid with a sickening plop. The egg had hatched incubated in the warm host and the critter had been feeding on this young mans blood and muscle tissue as it grew to maturity.  Apparently a common affliction among cattle in the South American Rainforest.   I almost threw up and then went right out and bought the strongest deep wood insect repellant I could find!

Arrrrgh!  :o  :o  :o

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 05:56:21 pm »
That's like "Alien" in real life.  Yuk.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 05:59:55 pm »
There are so many stories I heard about in entomology and invertebrate zoo class that will just chill you and make you grateful for hermetically sealed environments.

Dracunculus - Guinea worm:  Can bore its way through skin.  Up to three feet long.  Works its way through the human body at 1/2 inch per day.  This is very painful.  Finally it sticks its head out of the skin.  The Africans who have this parasite, then catch it and roll it around a stick or match.  Every day, they wind a little more.  Takes a month or so to get it out.

Google for 'guinea worm' for pics, if you dare.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2007, 06:02:18 pm »
David, why did you start this?  I'm gonna have nightmares, and I'm gonna have to call you in the middle of the night.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2007, 06:03:26 pm »
There are so many stories I heard about in entomology and invertebrate zoo class that will just chill you and make you grateful for hermetically sealed environments.

Dracunculus - Guinea worm:  Can bore its way through skin.  Up to three feet long.  Works its way through the human body at 1/2 inch per day.  This is very painful.  Finally it sticks its head out of the skin.  The Africans who have this parasite, then catch it and roll it around a stick or match.  Every day, they wind a little more.  Takes a month or so to get it out.

Funny you should mention that, Del. Once upon a time that wasn't limited to Africa. I remember reading an account in Benjamin Franklin's papers about removing one of those things from a woman in 18th-century Philadelphia.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2007, 06:18:56 pm »
Funny you should mention that, Del. Once upon a time that wasn't limited to Africa. I remember reading an account in Benjamin Franklin's papers about removing one of those things from a woman in 18th-century Philadelphia.

Considering how its spread and the possible presence of African slaves/indentured servants in the area...who knows how it got there or how and where she picked it up?

injest

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2007, 07:57:58 pm »
my sister is a pediatric nurse; one little girl came in with an earache and they dug around in there and found a moth. It had crawled all the way up in there...

they flushed it out with a saline solution. It was still alive.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2007, 12:33:25 am »
my sister is a pediatric nurse; one little girl came in with an earache and they dug around in there and found a moth. It had crawled all the way up in there...

they flushed it out with a saline solution. It was still alive.

God that is really awful!! I hate all the bugs flying around during the summer. I'm scared one of them will fly in my ear. A wasp flew in my sister's ear when she was 7 or 8 and it wouldn't come out. It continued to sting her until Dad pulled it out with a pair of tweezers.

AARRGGGHHH!!!  :P

Eww! And it's almost summertime too.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2007, 01:23:33 am »
My daughter woke up this morning feeliing fine, thank God. No roaches, spiders or other creepy animals in her ear fortunately.

:)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2007, 02:30:18 am »
*snip*

Never could resist a dare  :-\  This is one time I wish I had resisted the impulse.  Not for the faint of heart..YUK

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2007, 02:35:28 am »
Never could resist a dare  :-\  This is one time I wish I had resisted the impulse.  Not for the faint of heart..YUK

:laugh:  :laugh:

Poor Dottie! Now I know I'm not gonna look!

Yucky!  :P

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2007, 02:37:25 am »
My daughter woke up this morning feeliing fine, thank God. No roaches, spiders or other creepy animals in her ear fortunately.

:)

This is excellent news!  :D
:laugh:  :laugh:

Poor Dottie! Now I know I'm not gonna look!

Yucky!  :P

Yeah David, Bob was laughing at me too  :-\

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2007, 08:27:59 am »
LOL...it was all over the news this morning...David I never thought of you as the squeemish type.

Didn't you once have a pet spider, David?   ???

Huge hairy tarantula by name of Synergy?   :P

Lived in your shoe?  :o 
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2007, 08:33:23 am »
I'm now itching like I don't know what!!! anyone else doing that?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

injest

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2007, 08:47:25 am »
I'm now itching like I don't know what!!! anyone else doing that?

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2007, 02:10:33 pm »
Didn't you once have a pet spider, David?   ???

Huge hairy tarantula by name of Synergy?   :P

Lived in your shoe?  :o 

I sure did! But she lived in an empty fish tank. She escaped once and spun a web in my cowboy boot.  :P

But she didn't bother me because she was too big to crawl inside my ear when I was sleeping.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2007, 02:15:39 pm »
I sure did! But she lived in an empty fish tank. She escaped once and spun a web in my cowboy boot.  :P

Eeeeew!  :o

(I hope you checked before you put your boots on. ...  ;)  ;D )

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2007, 09:04:08 am »
Eeeeew!  :o

(I hope you checked before you put your boots on. ...  ;)  ;D )

We have bloody enormous great barking (yes, they bark like a dog! ) bird-eating spiders (their webs are so strong, they catch birds!) here in Australia. Ain't that a fabulous advertisement for the Australian tourist industry? (NOT!) Doesn't it just make you want to rush on down to Oz for your next vacation? No? If it makes you feel any better, even though the barking bird-eating spiders do really catch birds in their webs (yeah, sea gulls!), they don't actually "eat" them per se. No. Technically, they can't eat them because their jaws are too small. So they suck all the juice out of the birds instead, and then flick the dried-out bird carcases outa their webs. No need to worry about them making a nest in your boot, 'cause their TOO BIG to fit into your boot!!! Ah, Australia, land of exotic fauna! Now you know why I sleep with a net over my bed!   
;)    ;)    ;)    :laugh:    :laugh:    :laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2007, 09:13:29 am »
I thought the net was to keep the cute guys from getting away!    LOL

:laugh:  Yeah, that too!   ;)   :D