Author Topic: Secretary et al.  (Read 10116 times)

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Secretary et al.
« on: April 25, 2006, 11:06:10 am »
This thread is (another?) about other movies we've seen since Brokeback in order to stay in the warm glow of its actors.... some of mine:

Secretary (Maggie -- and this could have been a Maggie thread because I study her for Jake, and I see him sometimes.... mostly in smiles....)
Mona Lisa Smile (not proud but it was free and, to show something, uh, drippy about me... I cried four times)
The Good Girl
10 Things I Hate About You

I hereby invite any chat about Maggie, too, and the pursuit of her for glimpses of her brother.

And by the way on crying:
Secretary: cried
Mona: cried
The Good Girl: didn't cry
10 Things: cried

sappy sappy sappy sappy sappy sappy sappy sappy sappy

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
Re: Secretary et al.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 01:17:57 pm »
I'm surprised you didn't cry at The Good Girl. The scene where she's at the stop light, trying to decide if she's going to live a life with Holden or with her husband, makes me cry every time.
10 Things I Hate About You - cried at the last part when she's reading the poem and Heath looks so ashamed sitting at his desk.

I know I'll probably be chastized for this, but I don't find anything remarkable about Maggie. I've seen her in a couple of things and I think her performances were forgettable.
I like when she and Donnie are fighting at the beginning of Donnie Darko but that's about it.
Go suck a fuck!
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 01:21:27 pm »
I liked Mona Lisa Smile but I'm also a big Julia fan......

Maggie gave a good performance......and I haven't seen Secretary......good is it?

vkm91941

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 01:30:50 pm »
Secretary is EXCELLENT..See it! ;D Maggie is amazing and James Spader is perfect.

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 01:34:00 pm »
I love The Good Girl... 8)

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 01:41:31 pm »
Secretary is EXCELLENT..See it! ;D Maggie is amazing and James Spader is perfect.

I'll check it out...I think I have it...

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 02:39:45 pm »
10 Things I Hate About You - cried at the last part when she's reading the poem and Heath looks so ashamed sitting at his desk.

Me too! Glad I'm not the only one. I'll add myself to the list of saps around here.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 03:49:46 pm »
Hmm, Sparkle.  I thought the Good Girl was good, but it didn't touch me -- it was as if separated from me by thick glass.  I recently observed the same thing about Being Julia.  Great performances, good story, sympathetic characters, but it didn't reach me.

I did love that Tim Blake Nelson ran out of his house naked -- any movie with male (but not female) frontal nudity gets points, especially to illustrate something as sophisticated as vulnerability or pathos.

I loved Secretary!!

I thought Maggie was excellent -- fresh, goofy, real.  And in Mona she played someone jaded and sassy, so I don't see her as a one-role-pony.

When I cried in Secretary: the milkshake, or whatever it was, you know, in the cup with the straw.  I get teary just thinking about it.

And yep, when Julia Stiles read the poem, who would not cry?

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 04:20:38 pm »
Oh, I adore Maggie Gyllenhaal.  I know if we met, we'd be bestest friends ever.

Coming back to reality, I really do think she's extraordinary.  I have a fantasy of her doing a flick set in the twenties, because she's got such a fabulous, flapper-esque look.  She reminds me of a Cecil Beaton photograph, all googly eyes and rosebud mouth.

I have said enough about my infatuation with Ms. Gyllenhaal.  I will shut up now.

Oooooh, but have you seen her in Casa de los Babys?  Amazing!

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 04:24:30 pm »
Does anyone get shot in Casa de los Babys?

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 04:45:32 pm »
Does anyone get shot in Casa de los Babys?

Sadly, no.  One woman, played by the wonderful Marcia Gay Harden, deserved to be shot though.  She plays such a vile, manipulative, bigoted woman that you just can't help but feel sorry for her.  Oh, you should definitely rent it.  You're a woman of taste, you'd like it.  And there are a number of happy opportunities to have a sniffle.  Go on, you know you want to.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 04:48:30 pm »
Yay!
I'm putting it in my queue.
Thanks Adri-pie.

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 05:18:40 pm »
I'm surprised you didn't cry at The Good Girl. The scene where she's at the stop light, trying to decide if she's going to live a life with Holden or with her husband, makes me cry every time.

I know I'll probably be chastized for this, but I don't find anything remarkable about Maggie. I've seen her in a couple of things and I think her performances were forgettable.
I like when she and Donnie are fighting at the beginning of Donnie Darko but that's about it.
Go suck a fuck!

Hmm... The only part in the Good Girl I cried at was watching Jake in bed with Jennifer Aniston (you LUCKY tart!!! *sobs*)

I will agree with you all the way about 10 Things, sparkle... luuuurve Heath Ledger in that movie. So HOT.

*slaps sparkle on wrist* This is just a minor admonishment for the Maggie comment.  I mean, I know lots of people who find her rather ho-hum as an actress so I can't get too annoyed at your POV. Its your opinion, of course.. ::)  But I have always LOVED her.  I even saw Mona Lisa Smile cause it had her in it.  Tried to ignore the fabulously beautiful Kirsten (jk  ;)).. But I think Maggie's a terrific actress... I thought she was incredible in Secretary.  JMO...   ;D
*rubs sparkle's wrist where it was spanked*
Chut up!

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 05:24:48 pm »
Mmm, Hungry, will you slap my wrist, and then rub it?

Or mail me a worm?

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 08:00:14 am »
I cried quite a bit in Case de los Babys.  For BBMesque connections, I watched an episode of that show "Boy Meets World" where Linda Cardellini plays the other woman (girl) from Topanga and the guy whose name I don't know.  DO I win something for admitting this?

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 10:10:26 am »
I used to watch Boy Meets World all the time! I remember that episode. I thought Linda Cardellini looked familiar, but I didn't know from where. I don't think I've ever seen her in anything else. You're right Elle. (His name is Cory by the way.)

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 10:18:59 am »
Elle you should get a prize!  How about a hobby-horse?

By the way my next movie on this list is Proof, which arrived but which I won't get a chance to watch till Saturday.

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2006, 10:46:28 am »
Linda was Velma in the Scooby-Doo movies.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2006, 10:58:25 pm »
My HeathandJake fixes have been:

Proof
Donnie Darko-my fave Jake fest
Jarhead-the hat dance-I'm buying it just for that
The Good Girl
Lords of Dogtown (mistake-it threw me off Ennis-had to watch BbM at midnight to get over it)
10 Things I Hate About You (oh Heath!)
Casanova-didn't expect to but really liked it-went out and bought it
Monster's Ball-Like the look of my boy here.

Heathen

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2006, 10:58:06 pm »
Proof is next on my lirt..my shrink says Secretary is better, but..I wanna see Proof.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2006, 11:00:51 pm »
Proof is next on my lirt..my shrink says Secretary is better, but..I wanna see Proof.

Proof is really good.......at least I think so...

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2006, 11:43:34 pm »

Oh, Jesus, Julie, you make me laugh.  Movie tips from your shrink?  My gynaecologist raves about The Squid and the Whale.  Or maybe that was my reiki healer?  Oh wait, she liked Basic Instinct 2.  My bad.

Silliness aside, I thought Proof was ridiculous.  It seems like such a winning formula: Anthony Hopkins, Gwyneth Paltrow, Hope Davis and Jake Gyllenhaal in the adaptation of a fabulous stage play, directed by John Madden.  Can't lose, right?  Wrong.  It's the biggest load of cobblers I've seen in a long time.

I mean, I love Jakey-poo, and he can't do much wrong in my eyes, but he was horribly miscast in Proof.  And Gwyneth, who grates a little, but is undeniably a gifted and magnetic actress, is just flat and whiny in it. 

Oh, it's not the worst movie in the world.  But it's films like this that come so close to being something really extraordinary, and then wimp out make me want to tear my hair out.  What a waste of talent and opportunity.  What a waste of a chance to produce something challenging and wondrous and of lasting worth.

Still, two hours spent ogling Mr. Gyllenhaal isn't two hours completely down the drain.

-----------------------------------

Elle, what did you make of Casa de los Babys?  I wanted to ask before, but didn't have the courage.  Is your little duckling from somewhere exotic?  I am going to ask this, but don't feel like you have to answer if you'd rather not: what was it like adopting?  Did it take a long time?  I imagine it must be an incredibly beautiful story.

But if you'd prefer to keep it for yourself, I understand completely.  Just say, "Nice weather we're having, isn't it?".  And I won't say another word.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2006, 11:50:58 pm »
Oh, Jesus, Julie, you make me laugh.  Movie tips from your shrink?  My gynaecologist raves about The Squid and the Whale.  Or maybe that was my reiki healer?  Oh wait, she liked Basic Instinct 2.  My bad.

Silliness aside, I thought Proof was ridiculous.  It seems like such a winning formula: Anthony Hopkins, Gwyneth Paltrow, Hope Davis and Jake Gyllenhaal in the adaptation of a fabulous stage play, directed by John Madden.  Can't lose, right?  Wrong.  It's the biggest load of cobblers I've seen in a long time.

I mean, I love Jakey-poo, and he can't do much wrong in my eyes, but he was horribly miscast in Proof.  And Gwyneth, who grates a little, but is undeniably a gifted and magnetic actress, is just flat and whiny in it. 

Oh, it's not the worst movie in the world.  But it's films like this that come so close to being something really extraordinary, and then wimp out make me want to tear my hair out.  What a waste of talent and opportunity.  What a waste of a chance to produce something challenging and wondrous and of lasting worth.

Still, two hours spent ogling Mr. Gyllenhaal isn't two hours completely down the drain.

ROFL......wow thats the first semi-negative review I've heard for Proof...

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2006, 12:38:35 am »
Oh, I'm sorry to piss on your parade, Chris.  I know, I'm Miss Picky.  The thing is, I don't hold most films to such a high standard, but Proof had all of the potential in the world.  Squandering talent is a sin in my book.  It was just so achingly mediocre.  I felt like I'd seen some version of it a thousand times before.

But I'll stop being mean.  I know how annoying it is when you genuinely like a movie, and someone comes along and insists that it's awful.  You just want to tell 'em to keep their stupid thoughts to themselves.  I'll shut my trap.  If it makes you feel any better, I love some really terrible, cliche-ridden flicks.  Under the Tuscan Sun, take a bow.  Step forward Dirty Dancing.  We've all got them.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2006, 12:41:53 am »
Oh, I'm sorry to piss on your parade, Chris.  I know, I'm Miss Picky.  The thing is, I don't hold most films to such a high standard, but Proof had all of the potential in the world.  Squandering talent is a sin in my book.  It was just so achingly mediocre.  I felt like I'd seen some version of it a thousand times before.

But I'll stop being mean.  I know how annoying it is when you genuinely like a movie, and someone comes along and insists that it's awful.  You just want to tell 'em to keep their stupid thoughts to themselves.  I'll shut my trap.  If it makes you feel any better, I love some really terrible, cliche-ridden flicks.  Under the Tuscan Sun, take a bow.  Step forward Dirty Dancing.  We've all got them.

Oh no no no.......nothing wrong with your opinion....you're just the first I've talked to that didn't like Proof.....

I respect your opinion 1000%.......

I love Under the Tuscan Sun....Diane Lane is eye candy and Sandra Oh is awesome!  And aside from the annoying Patrick Swayze I love Dirty Dancing too.......its a classic!

Hell I saw Titanic 9 times in the theater and my 4th all time favorite movie is Pretty Woman......ROFL

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2006, 12:53:54 am »
I don't mind Maggie G. at all but I am not a big fan of her's. I haven't seen Secretary but I plan to. I saw her in Mona Lisa Smile -- which I liked; I usually hate Kirsten Dunst but she was tolerable in that (maybe because she was playing a bitch and she didn't have to try so hard  :-*).

Since BBM, I watched Jake in Jarhead and I enjoyed that movie. It was depressing though because I kept wishing I was watching Brokeback. Jake was great in Jarhead though.

Today, I watched the first half of 10 Things I Hate About You. It was the first time I've watched it since it originally came out. I don't know if I'm biased now, or what, but Heath was surprisingly good in that. Before Brokeback, I thought of him as a mediocre actor and simply a pretty face but then he astonished me as Ennis. He was good in 10 Things too (not nearly as good, obviously). The script is cheesy as hell in parts but it was also pretty damn funny.

I'm still trying to overcome my issues with seeing Jake & Heath in new movies, as talented as they are. I just have to plan ahead when Zodiac comes out; make sure not to have watched Brokeback within three weeks prior to my viewing.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2006, 02:13:32 pm »
Hey Chantie,
I remembered your "ridiculous" as I watching Proof (although I didn't read beyond that sentence -- didn't even mean to read that much), and I thought that the main ridiculousness was trying to accept someone as beautiful, fit and socially adept as Jake's character as math PhD.  No offense to all y'all math PhD's but come ON!

Jake has a funny run.
Speaking of London, there's a shot of Jake bursting out of a pair of double doors and running down the hall.  Those double doors had the little white square stickers with the blue circle... can't remember what the stickers say but it's something about a fire exit probably.  Anyway I was all "Pause! Pause!" so I could go back and look at those doors which are supposedly in Chicago.  I knew those stickers are a British thing -- I've never seen them in the US.  Sure enough, it was shot partly in London.

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2006, 02:44:00 pm »
Yes, I've noticed that Mr. Gyllenhaal has a funny run.  Not that I've been staring obsessively at him, memorizing every last physiological detail, down to the fact that he has a very cute mole on his lower back.  Absolutely not.

And what did we make of Proof, besides the silly casting?  Did your other half manage to sit through it without stuffing tissues in his ears to muffle the cooing, gurgling sounds coming from his wife whenever Jakey-wakey appeared on-screen?  He's a strong man.

I can't tell what's English or what's North American anymore.  I used to try to keep it straight, and adapt to wherever I was, but I've given up.  I say elevator instead of lift, but flat instead of apartment.  I look both ways whenever I cross the street not because I paid attention in Kindergarten safety lessons, but because I can't remember which way the cars come in which country.  I am a complete, bewildered mutt.  It's a wonder I can remember my own name.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2006, 03:19:02 pm »
Well, Catherine and her sister were sure one-dimensional, and annoying.  I thought there were cool creepy elements, but it felt like a short story that wanted to be a novel.  And should have been.  It's weird; all my criticisms are dwarfed by the gross miscasting of Jake as a math nerd.  Couldn't take the whole movie seriously because of that.  I'm not saying he did a bad job with it, but not even he can make wine into water.  Reminds me a little of Gregory Peck as Penny Baxter in The Yearling.  Penny Baxter was a small, weak-chinned, pockmarked man.  Um, Gregory Peck?   But Peck wasn't as distracting.  And I guess it's hypocritical that I wasn't so distracted by Jake in BBM -- no buck teeth, no thick middle.  Mmm, middle.

I was restrained.  My husband didn't have to put up with anything but a little bit of noise because I was rolling pennies during the first half.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2006, 03:26:45 pm »
Next entry:

Dick.

Historical fiction in which two fifteen-year-old girls (Kirsten Dunst and Michelle Williams) are inserted into Watergate.  Super-duper silly, but I admit I laughed and smiled a lot (smiles a lot).  Those girls are cute as buttons.  And my husband and I recently watched and read All the President's Men so the details of the basis for parody were fresh in our minds.

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2006, 05:41:11 am »
Mmm, Hungry, will you slap my wrist, and then rub it?

Or mail me a worm?

LOL!!.... Can't believe its taken me this long to catch up on all my thread-reading...

Sarah, I'll spank anything you want me to, honey...  ;D

And then rub it..  ::)

*sarah's hubby:  :o *
Chut up!