Author Topic: Shall we honor birthdays on the main forum banner?  (Read 11043 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Shall we honor birthdays on the main forum banner?
« on: May 08, 2007, 04:25:31 pm »
I'd like to hear pros and cons for this:

Shall we begin announcing our members' birthdays and other celebrations (anniversaries, for example) on the main forum banner?  To see the current banner, click here.

This is not "voting" per se - the number of YESES and NOS is not what will determine the outcome.  But your thoughts can help us make an informed decision, one that hopefully takes into account all the good ideas expressed. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 10:45:49 am by Ellemeno »

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Shall we honor birthdays on the main forum banner?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 05:01:08 pm »

I think that would be great, if the individuals wanted it,,, i think most people would think it was ok, if they had their age listed,,,if not,,,probably not the age,, just the date
                                                                           janice

Beautiful mind

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 05:32:14 pm »
I think posting the person's name and date of the birthday would be nice. Some people may not want their age broadcast to the world, but most people probably wouldn't even have a problem with that.  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 05:57:59 pm »
Sorry if this sounds critical, but I think the wording of the poll is slanted towards a yes answer. (but I still answered no - and here's why)

1- The banner would be focusing too much on this possible right-to-privacy subject. Maybe not all members want this information to be viewed so prominently by casual visitors.

2- Many of our residents are non posters. Do we focus on all residents, or just some. Who gets to decide which ones go on the banner & which ones don't.

3- It would get stale pretty quickly. I like that the banner has become alive with new information added daily. And besides, birthdays are already in smaller print near the bottom of the home page.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 06:52:40 pm »
... What Roland said. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 10:29:54 am »
Thanks for bringing up these points, everyone. 

Would love to hear more thoughts for us all to consider - especially from those who vote NO (assuming that the YES votes are unperturbed by possible problems).  You can help your fellow BetterMostians make a more considered choice by stating your reasons for voting the way you did.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 10:47:04 am »
BTW, an important clarification:

This is not "voting" per se - the number of YESES and NOS is not what will determine the outcome.  But your thoughts can help us make an informed decision, one that hopefully takes into account all the good ideas expressed. 

(Original post updated to reflect this.)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 10:47:27 am »
2- Many of our residents are non posters. Do we focus on all residents, or just some. Who gets to decide which ones go on the banner & which ones don't.

Well, some people may have put their birthday on the calendar when they registered, then moved on months and months ago. Do we really want to use the space for greetings to people who haven't been around in ages and may never be back? How are we going to tell the difference? Does anyone really want to spend the time to track this information?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 11:30:54 am »
Well, some people may have put their birthday on the calendar when they registered, then moved on months and months ago. Do we really want to use the space for greetings to people who haven't been around in ages and may never be back? How are we going to tell the difference? Does anyone really want to spend the time to track this information?

In my opinion, Jeff said it best.  And, as Roland pointed out, birthdays do appear farther down on the home page.  I think the banner should focus on stuff other than birthdays.  Of course, Phillip's and John's b-days and anniversary would be exceptions.  :)

One question:  Do most of the residents know that birthdays, etc., appear on the calendar?  Maybe the calendar needs to be promoted more.

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 12:03:54 pm »
OK I'm gonna say this and I may say it badly so please forgive me. 

Bettermost is a closed community, Oh anyone can join but because so many of the active participants have a shared history it is harder for a new comer to make a mark, to break in,  unless they have an poignant or unusual story to share or they are just brassy and jump in with both feet like I did.  It's kind of reminds me of high school that way.  Completed with the cliques, the behind the scenes drama and the gossip.  You have the admins who are those really smart, cool and well known kids who ran for class president.  You have the old time posters who everyone knows and fall into their various categories from geeks, socs, know-it-all's, class clowns, cheerleaders, etc... including those who feel very left out of all the fun and have no idea how to join in and that is why their post counts are low and eventually they drift away.

Most people who fill out that little form when they join do not realize that their birthday is going to end up on the calendar.  I certainly did not and I wasn't asked if I wanted it there.  There are cultures and religions that do not celebrate the day of one's birth.  Do you want to run the risk of offending someone who has different cultural or social beliefs than your own?

Who decides?  Right now I see "Happy Birthday" messages everywhere for the regulars, usually started by their friends or admirers....but if it becomes a "banner" event then you must recognized everyone or no one and either way you run the risk of offering offense or of hurting feelings.  I just see it as a slippery slope fraught with more peril than pleasure and think it would be a mistake.

The limited space on the banner is better utilized as it is being used now, for forum news, current events, and focusing attention on outstanding threads and poster achievements (with member permission)
Life is not a dress rehearsal