Author Topic: Shall we honor birthdays on the main forum banner?  (Read 11039 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Shall we honor birthdays on the main forum banner?
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 08:47:42 pm »
I never thought about it like that, Dottie. There are some cultures who don't celebrate birthdays, and we have members from many different places. It would be terrible if we accidently offended someone.

There are many pros and cons to this. It will be interesting to read other people's viewpoints. At first I thought it would be a very good idea. Now I'm not so sure.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 09:50:31 pm »
And then there are some folks who have just reached a point in their personal stories where they prefer not to have a big public fuss made about the anniversary of their birth.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 11:43:39 pm »
And then there are some folks who have just reached a point in their personal stories where they prefer not to have a big public fuss made about the anniversary of their birth.  :-\

That's true too, Jeff!  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 11:58:16 pm »
I voted 'No' because I think it might highlight a disparity between more active users and those who poke in occasionally or usually browse as guests.  I do like the idea of showcasing the calendar in some way - maybe the banner every so often? - and soliciting input from folks for items to add to the calendar.

Whenever I see a thread about an event with a date that is not on the calendar, I add it.  But I wonder if everyone realizes that any event can be linked to the calendar?  We need to make sure everyone knows to look there for birthdays other events of interest.  Folks who go straight to 'Show new replies...' never see the calendar!

In fact, someone mentioned to me the other day that they didn't realize about the Full Moon Chat (or maybe it was the 24th chat?)  Anyhow, we need to make sure these regular events get a lot of exposure.

-Lynne

P.S.  And the cultural argument is a good one too...For Greeks, they make a bigger celebration of their Saints Day than their birthday.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 02:39:24 am »
Something I felt a little funny about, and feel compelled to share. because it's buggin me , is the wording of the Yes and No options in the poll...

When I voted NO in no way was I saying "Not on yer effin' life."   :-\ That phrase to me has a negative feel, to me it imply's  some anger and unreasonableness and my  concerns, convictions and objections are well thought out, I am not angry and no offense is intended to those who disagree with me and none is taken in this I just though that you should know how it made me feel and other's maybe put off from voting because of it.  It's much simpler and much more straight forward to just chose "yes" and "no"..."yea" and "nay" ... "aye" and "non"...no emotion implied just ascent or descent.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 02:46:44 am by dot-matrix »
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 02:51:40 am »
Something I felt a little funny about, and feel compelled to share. because it's buggin me , is the wording of the Yes and No options in the poll...

When I voted NO in no way was I saying "Not on yer effin' life."  :/ That phrase to me has a negative feel, to me it imply's  some anger and unreasonableness and my  concerns, convictions and objections are well thought out, I am not angry and no offense is intended to those who disagree with me.

Dottie - I see your point, but I don't interpret it as unreasonable, myself.  I absolutely don't think that any concerns, etc...are considered offensive.  I voted NO myself.  But to me 'Not on your effin life...' doesn't mean I wouldn't support it if we go that way - just that I'm inclined to be opposed.  (Note this is not like a truly scientific poll where the language is as neutral as humanly possible!)

I think Clarissa was just trying to use BBM-colloquial language to express the polar opposite of opinions, and she offered room in between (Other) to expound if you didn't feel strongly one way or another.  I don't think it was meant to offend - just to incorporate BBM into a regular business type of question.

Sincerely,
Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2007, 05:23:50 am »
I think Clarissa was just trying to use BBM-colloquial language to express the polar opposite of opinions,

Yup, the first option is a quote from Alma, when she wants to go to the church social. So for me the wording is fine.

I voted no.
We have 932 members to this moment. That makes almost three birthdays every single day. If we'd announce each birthday, it would get stale soon (like Roland already said). But announcing only the b-days of the more active members? - Don't look right to me.

As for the privacy concerns: nobody has to share his b-day on the registration form. It's a voluntary information. And I think any mod would be happy to help if someone doesn't want his b-day to be announced on the calendar (on the banner if the decision goes for it).

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2007, 05:29:37 am »
I think Clarissa was just trying to use BBM-colloquial language to express the polar opposite of opinions, and she offered room in between (Other) to expound if you didn't feel strongly one way or another.  I don't think it was meant to offend - just to incorporate BBM into a regular business type of question.

Sincerely,
Lynne

Yes, that's it exactly.  Just BBM-ing it up.  But you have a good point, Dottie.  I'll go adjust the wording.

The points being made by everyone are very interesting.  It's amazing how much richer the thought process is when multiple viewpoints are expressed.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2007, 06:01:12 am »
Thank you Elle - strange that it took dottie and Lynne (and Pent) to discuss what I brought up on the first day of the posting (3 days ago) before action was taken:

Sorry if this sounds critical, but I think the wording of the poll is slanted towards a yes answer.

In spita this, the vote that was 5 -1 (in favour) when I put my vote up, has now turned to 10-9 (against) with an advisory that this is just a discussion, not a binding decision.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 07:43:48 am by Sheriff Roland »
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2007, 11:11:35 am »
Thank you Elle - strange that it took dottie and Lynne (and Pent) to discuss what I brought up on the first day of the posting (3 days ago) before action was taken:

If you were saying the same thing Dottie was, or what Lynne was, or what Chrissi was, I missed that, Roland.  I just went and reread your posts, and still can't see that. 

Do you mean where you wrote:

Sorry if this sounds critical, but I think the wording of the poll is slanted towards a yes answer. (but I still answered no - and here's why)

I didn't understand what the first part of that referred to, but it seemed like people could still easily vote no if that was their preference, like you did.

I actually thought you meant that by using the word "honor" in my question, it looked like I was implying that not posting birthdays in the banner would appear dishonoring, so my wording was swaying people to vote yes, just to show they honor people.  I didn't think that would be an issue, so left it as is.

All this to explain that I did consider what I thought were saying.  Just like I consider what Dottie and Lynne and Chrissi and everyone else in the thread have been saying.  You just weren't specific and I misunderstood.

If I still don't understand - please explain further. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 11:20:46 am by Ellemeno »