Author Topic: Shall we honor birthdays on the main forum banner?  (Read 11040 times)

Scott6373

Re: Shall we honor birthdays on the main forum banner?
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2007, 11:17:45 am »
I changed my vote.  My initial reaction...was just that...a reaction, but I see no harm in simple B-Day wishes in the banner. 

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2007, 11:19:23 am »
I changed my vote.  My initial reaction...was just that...a reaction, but I see no harm in simple B-Day wishes in the banner. 

And now, for the moment, the preferences are 11 YES, 11 NO.  :) 

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2007, 11:48:25 am »
And now, for the moment, the preferences are 11 YES, 11 NO.  :) 

I would urge whoever is going to make this decision to give careful consideration to Chrissi's post on the numbers. If you're going to post a birthday wish for every member, it looks like it might quickly become overwhelming.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Scott6373

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2007, 11:50:17 am »
I would urge whoever is going to make this decision to give careful consideration to Chrissi's post on the numbers. If you're going to post a birthday wish for every member, it looks like it might quickly become overwhelming.

Well it could always be arranged as  side banner...like the ads...just a list that get's updated daily or weekly even.

Offline Vermont Sunset

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2007, 11:59:04 am »
Why can't you simply add a question on the registration form as to whether or not the new member wants their birthday acknowledged?
I gotta go......See ya in the mornin'

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2007, 12:13:08 pm »
Well it could always be arranged as  side banner...like the ads...just a list that get's updated daily or weekly even.

Sounds like not a bad idea to me, but my impression is, this isn't what's being proposed, that the idea is to put on the birthday notice on the banner across the top of the page.

What about just moving the calendar information from the bottom of the page to the top of the page?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Online serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2007, 03:42:40 pm »
I voted "no" after reading through the whole thread, because all the reasons everybody mentioned were enough to convince me. And I wondered, how much difference would it make to me to see my name up there if it were MY birthday? Not that much.

Now, I don't want to open a whole new can o' beans, but the concerns that Dottie and others expressed makes me wonder about something else.  What about the "happy birthday" threads? How do we determine who gets those and who doesn't? I'm not suggesting discontinuing them, because they're nice and I think people appreciate that. And Elle and others who have started those threads have been very good about doing it. But are there BetterMostians who are a little less active, yet still somewhat active, being overlooked?  ??? I'm not raising this as a criticism of the process -- just wondering.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2007, 12:01:04 am »

Now, I don't want to open a whole new can o' beans

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2007, 12:02:13 am »
And we're at 14 YES, 14 NO.  :)

Keep those thoughts comin', y'all.  :)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2007, 01:13:36 am »
I initially thought it would be overkill to have the birthdays on the banner, but if they're in smallish print and just acknowledged as "Today's birthdays" or something simple like that at the bottom of the banner, I think it's harmless and lends a kind of family feel to the index page. 

Anyone who doesn't wish to be acknowledged can leave the birthday line blank in their Profile.  The birthdays shouldn't be hard to track, since the software automatically puts them onto the calendar, right?  It shouldn't matter whether the poster is active or not.  If they provide their birthdate, then they get listed.  (I agree that it would be good to mention that it will go on the calendar if they list it.)

In regard to what Katherine brought up, I think it's nice when friends spontaneously start birthday threads for each other.  Sometimes it's a tough call on whether a poster is known by enough people to get a nice response, but if someone feels the urge to acknowledge that person's birthday, then that's the best indication.  I don't imagine that folks who post only rarely would be expecting their own thread and feel hurt if they didn't get one. 
Ich bin ein Brokie...