Author Topic: "You don't think so, or you don't think that I'm the one?"  (Read 39554 times)

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
"You don't think so, or you don't think that I'm the one?"
« on: April 25, 2006, 03:14:21 pm »
What was Cassie thinking asking that? It's like asking "do I look fat?" What possible response was she expecting from a girl she's just met for the first time?
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Re: "You don't think so, or you don't think that I'm the one?"
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 03:26:47 pm »
I think she was fishing for information-like maybe Ennis had admitted his feelings to Jr. but not to Cassie herself (we KNOW Ennis would never verbally profess any type of emotion to anyone but his kids).

O0

Heathen

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 04:17:29 pm »
I guess this is a little bit OT, but it's always struck me how disappointed Junior looks when the truck pulls up and she sees Cassie in it--disappointed and maybe even a little disgusted? Like it was a very unpleasant surprise, like she was expecting some quality time alone with her dad, and there's Cassie.

It's made me wonder, too, What was Ennis thinking, bringing Cassie along? Maybe Cassie pestered him to bring her along because she wanted to meet his daughter.

Yeah, I've figured Cassie was just trying to pump Junior for information.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 04:37:00 pm »
Poor chatty Cassie, trying to get close to the silent family Del Mar.  Fool!

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 04:39:35 pm »
What was Cassie thinking asking that? It's like asking "do I look fat?" What possible response was she expecting from a girl she's just met for the first time?

Velma was pumping Junior for inside info, based on the fact Junior would know her father more than most.  Heck, I thought Junior probably figured out who Jack Twist was by then anyway.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 05:04:33 pm »
I understand Cassie's motivations in that scene just fine. It's Alma Jr.'s I'm not sure of. Does she know more about her dad than she lets on and is giving the brushoff to someone she has reason to resent? Or does her sort of blank expression indicate she's perplexed, too?

Come to think of it, there is something I don't get about Cassie here. What exactly was the "point" that Alma Jr. got across to her?

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 05:06:52 pm »

Come to think of it, there is something I don't get about Cassie here. What exactly was the "point" that Alma Jr. got across to her?

I've wondered that exact thing. Anyone?
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 05:12:37 pm »
Well, my parents got divorced when I was thirteen.  My dad remarried pretty soon, and I was okay with that because I wasn't very connected to my dad.  When my mom started dating, I was a horrible creep to the guy, because I was jealous and threatened, because I felt very connected to my mom.  Alma Jr. is no horrible creep, but I'm sure she's jealous/protective/insecure/grouchy about anyone going after the parent with whom she has the closer connection.

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 05:17:34 pm »

The point is that Alma Jr. doesn't think much of Cassie, and certainly has no personal affection for her, but if her dad is going to marry, she (Alma Jr.) won't get in the way.
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline hermitdave

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • changed forever by brokeback...
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 05:37:01 pm »
I hope its not off topic but... I just have to say I really liked Cassie. I found her to be refreshingly honest. She wanted Ennis-so she went after him. She wanted to know more-so she asked Alma Jr.  She wanted to know why she had been dumped- so she asked Ennis. She didnt have the emotional baggage the other characters had, (at least none that I could see). She fell in love with Ennis. Certainly she cant be faulted for that.
"Whenever Im alone with you, you make me feel like I am whole again. Whenever Im alone with you, you make me feel like I am young again." - The Cure