Author Topic: "You don't think so, or you don't think that I'm the one?"  (Read 39550 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: "You don't think so, or you don't think that I'm the one?"
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 05:45:35 pm »
I hope its not off topic but... I just have to say I really liked Cassie. I found her to be refreshingly honest. She wanted Ennis-so she went after him. She wanted to know more-so she asked Alma Jr.  She wanted to know why she had been dumped- so she asked Ennis. She didnt have the emotional baggage the other characters had, (at least none that I could see). She fell in love with Ennis. Certainly she cant be faulted for that.

I agree totally. In fact, I'll have to confess that I like Cassie better than I like Alma.

moremojo

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 05:46:31 pm »
I hope its not off topic but... I just have to say I really liked Cassie. I found her to be refreshingly honest. She wanted Ennis-so she went after him. She wanted to know more-so she asked Alma Jr.  She wanted to know why she had been dumped- so she asked Ennis. She didnt have the emotional baggage the other characters had, (at least none that I could see). She fell in love with Ennis. Certainly she cant be faulted for that.
Hi, hopefulheart--

I find Cassie sympathetic too, though a lot of BBM fans have gone on record as finding her annoying. She certainly is bold and forward, but never maliciously so, and I think you are very perceptive to recognize that her motives and actions are a lot more open and honest than those of many of the other characters. With Cassie, what you see is what you get. I like how she gives Ennis some of the attention and affection of which he is likely bereft for so much of the year when he is separated from Jack.

Probably the only thing I could fault Cassie for is when she addresses Ennis as 'dummy', even though I realize she is being playful. Just don't like to hear our boys being called names (Aguirre, anyone?), unless they are doing it among themselves ;).

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:00:00 pm by moremojo »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 06:59:23 pm »

Hat's off to you, Hopefulheart!

I have to admit I've never even given Cassie much thought, but after reading your post, I have to agree with you! Thank you for a refreshing new perspective!

I always figured Junior's "point" was just that she didn't like Cassie--for whatever reason--and she got it across with that "You're good enough" comment.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline littledarlin

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • darlin=andrew, guitar=mandy
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 07:04:42 pm »
What was Cassie thinking asking that? It's like asking "do I look fat?" What possible response was she expecting from a girl she's just met for the first time?

I think that's the point, she doesn't think before she speaks.  She's a very straight-forward, blunt, but predictable character.  I don't think the choice of Linda Ronstadt's "It's So Easy" was a coincidence.  I think Cassie is there for contrast to show how easy it was for people to start relationships back then, as long as they were straight.  I mean she goes straight for Ennis, Ennis goes forward with the motions, obviously no REAL sparks but the next thing she's talking about is marriage. 

People often confuse coincidence with fate, and this is a prime example.  Ennis always drank there, and Cassie worked there.  Their relationship was based on convenience.  Jack and Ennis on the other hand, became friends first, got to know eachother, and when they realized what they had, took it to the next level.  Did Cassie deserve to be lied to and led on?  Of course not, but she was just another of many victims to Ennis' fear.

Cassie is pretty much Ennis' Lureen.  They took charge, and the boys don't object because they think it's what's expected of them.  I feel most for Alma, because her and Ennis were together before he met Jack.  The realization that your husband is in love with another man is hard enough for her, but to also realize that your entire marriage was a lie?  And people wonder why she became so bitter!  And more power to her for letting go... The fact that Ennis would've continued the marriage even after he knew Alma knew is testament to his desperation to do what society expects of him.

But before I get any more off topic, Cassie just didn't know any better.  And like Ennis, Alma Jr doesn't object, she goes with the flow because she thinks that's what's best for everyone.
We can hug on November, caress and nice oak.

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 09:15:29 pm »
How do you think meeting Cassie affected Jr.'s plan to ask Ennis if she could live with him instead of Alma and Monroe?  Was meeting Cassie why Jr. wasn't going to bring it up until Ennis pushed her about what was bothering her? 
Seemed to me that the small chance of him saying yes might have been enough to make it really hard for Jr. to say anything about moving in, until he kept asking her what was going on.

and about Cassie herself...  I've always thought she had some of Jack's qualities, and that was part of why Ennis responded to her as much as he did.   
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 12:23:03 am »
In my original question, I guess I was getting at her being naive or thoughtlessness. She's got her concern and she goes for it with the question, I agree that's admirable to a point. But honestly, would any of you expect a teen age girl you just net a few minutes ago to open up to you?
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2006, 01:21:18 am »
No. But Cassie was pretty outgoing and bold. I think it was her idea of girlish chit-chat.

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2006, 01:45:54 am »
beside, would "maybe he's not the marrying kind" been all the clue she needs as far as what Jr thinks about her chances with Ennis.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2006, 11:23:55 am »
Though she probably just saw that as a challenge. My impression is that back in them days, "not the marrying kind" wouldn't necessarily lead people like Cassie to think, "Oh, he's gay" -- more likely "He's a loner, but maybe I can change that."

But you're right that she probably shouldn't expect Alma Jr. to elaborate.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2006, 11:40:41 am »
Velma was pumping Junior for inside info, based on the fact Junior would know her father more than most.  Heck, I thought Junior probably figured out who Jack Twist was by then anyway.

VELMAA!!! AH!! didn't get that connection! I knew she was familiar but thought it was ER (even though I don't watch that these days)

But back to the point!

I always kind of thought.... WHAT ARE YOU DOING!? STOP BEING SO SELFISH! - when Ennis would go to sit back down beside Jr after using the Juke box, and Cassie would whisk him away to dance.

It pi55ed me off..this was Jrs time not Cassie's!

But yeah there is something admiral but also something annoying about her...
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/