Author Topic: "You don't think so, or you don't think that I'm the one?"  (Read 39561 times)

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
Re: "You don't think so, or you don't think that I'm the one?"
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2018, 01:33:26 pm »
Far be it from me to say anything good about Donald Trump, but has he been homophobic? I've heard of him insulting just about every other marginalized group, and in doing so I'm sure he encourages and gives permission to bigots of every variety, including homophobes. I just can't recall hearing Trump himself say anything negative about gay people per se.

Whether President Trump has insulted or encouraged any groups of people is a matter of perception. I am not aware of any comments he has made that brought accusations of homophobia. I do know that there have been some policy moves that the gay mainstream doesn't like, and claim are driven by homophobia. I also know that many mainstream gays have complained about things that Pence has done in the past, as well as statements made by Trump appointees in Washington.

So the identitarians seem to have some nail to hammer in his coffin for every group out there, including sexual minorities.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2018, 02:38:09 pm »
Far be it from me to say anything good about Donald Trump, but has he been homophobic? I've heard of him insulting just about every other marginalized group, and in doing so I'm sure he encourages and gives permission to bigots of every variety, including homophobes. I just can't recall hearing Trump himself say anything negative about gay people per se.

Taking the question strictly as to whether or not he has said anything, I can't remember. I do know he's tried to turn back the clock and kick sexual minorities out of the military. I think he issued an order (probably to appeal/satisfy his Christian right base), but I think a court blocked it.

Regardless whether or not he's said anything, that's close enough for me.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2018, 07:03:55 pm »
Taking the question strictly as to whether or not he has said anything, I can't remember. I do know he's tried to turn back the clock and kick sexual minorities out of the military. I think he issued an order (probably to appeal/satisfy his Christian right base), but I think a court blocked it.

That was specifically transgenders. And nobody would have been kicked out, they were trying to find a way to keep more from joining. The idea has since died because there were more military leaders opposed to it than in favor of it.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2018, 10:27:05 pm »
This doesn't really have anything to do with the topic of this thread, but I'll tell you what. This morning I saw a mention of RuPaul somewhere else, and I remembered that RuPaul married (legally) a Wyoming rancher. I remembered FRiend Lee's comment here, and it made me wonder: What do the neighbors of RuPaul's husband think of that? Did they know before that their neighbor was partnered up with RuPaul? What do they think of RuPaul? Do they get a "pass" (from rural homophobia) because RuPaul is a celebrity?

I'd be curious to know the answers.  :)

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2018, 10:31:29 pm »
Not to draw the thread off topic any further, I can't recall any quotes from Trump regarding gay people.

He has thrown Michael Pence under the bus on this, if you believe "anonymous sources"

The story, citing two anonymous sources, said Trump enjoys needling the conservative former Indiana governor about his views on abortion and homosexuality and, when a conversation with an unnamed legal scholar turned to gay rights, the president motioned to Pence and allegedly joked, "Don't ask that guy — he wants to hang them all!"

Pence has never said he wants to hang all gays, but his voting record towards  LGBT people is pretty well known as anti-gay.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2018, 11:12:48 am »
That was specifically transgenders. And nobody would have been kicked out, they were trying to find a way to keep more from joining. The idea has since died because there were more military leaders opposed to it than in favor of it.

Well, look who the wind blew in! Nice to see you, Milo.  :)

Yes, the issue involved transgender people, not gay people. Trump apparently initially did threaten in a tweet or something to ban transgender people from serving altogether. He signed an order to prevent recruiting them, the ACLU and other groups sued, the courts sided with them and DOJ did not challenge it because military leaders themselves said transgender service members weren't a problem.

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/advocates-celebrate-huge-win-against-trump-s-transgender-military-ban-n833981

Apparently the issue is still on the table, but nobody seems to think it's going to go anywhere.

https://www.politico.com/states/new-jersey/story/2018/02/06/new-jersey-joins-fight-opposing-trumps-transgender-military-ban-239699

An "openly transgender" recruit signed up about a week ago.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/2/27/17057580/transgender-soldier-military-trump-ban

I think of homophobia and transphobia being pretty different -- that is, in the way they play out in people's minds. People who would otherwise be, or once were, more homophobic have calmed down about that and turned their bigotry to a new target. Since the Supreme Court's marriage decision, I perceive an inclination of people -- not everybody, of course -- to go, oh well, I guess they're not that bad. It's those trans people who are the mentally ill weirdos destroying our society, especially when it comes to who uses what bathroom.

Getting back to Trump, I personally have never heard a homophobic (as opposed to transphobic) statement from him. I guess I assumed that anybody who has spent most of their lives running in sophisticated New York circles has met enough gay people that this isn't a big issue for them.

Don't get me wrong -- I don't think he'll get elected chairman of his local GLAD chapter anytime soon. The very fact that he chose Pence, who IS homophobic, as his VP shows that Trump's not exactly an ally. I just don't think he cares that much one way or another. Transgender people may not be his biggest concern, either -- but he knows that attacking them will be popular with his base.

Not to draw the thread off topic any further, I can't recall any quotes from Trump regarding gay people.

He has thrown Michael Pence under the bus on this, if you believe "anonymous sources"

The story, citing two anonymous sources, said Trump enjoys needling the conservative former Indiana governor about his views on abortion and homosexuality and, when a conversation with an unnamed legal scholar turned to gay rights, the president motioned to Pence and allegedly joked, "Don't ask that guy — he wants to hang them all!"

I don't know if I'd call this throwing Pence under the bus. That sounds more like a good-natured tease -- horrifying though the statement is -- as opposed to the way he treats, for example, Jeff Sessions.