Author Topic: OT: United 93 -- WILL YOU BE SEEING IT?  (Read 18357 times)

rtprod

Re: OT: United 93 -- WILL YOU BE SEEING IT?
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 03:47:14 pm »
Amy, I too am so sorry to hear your story, and this film deals with all of the events of the morning -- New York and the planes that struck the towers is the first half of the film, so you might do well to stay away from it. 

Juan, it actually doesn't really dramatize them per se, it just shows them in a docu-style -- many of the "actors" are the real-life air traffic controllers who played the same roles that day, as well as actual pilots playing pilots, the head of air traffic plays himself and it was his first day of work.  It's a great "performance" he does, must have been something to relive. 

rt

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 03:48:01 pm »
As a New Yorker, honestly, I can't handle watching it in a theatre, even though the film focuses on the flight bound for Washington.  Two of my friends died in the World Trade Center - it was torture trying to watch that TV documentary on PBS a few years ago - and to this day I hate looking at that huge construction pit that was the WTC.  

Maybe I could watch it by myself in my apartment.

I'm sorry Amy....thats tough...

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 03:49:18 pm »
Juan,

I was blown away by specific scenes in this film, the rising dread as air traffic and norad discover what's happening on Sept. 11 nearly real-time, the complete helplessness of the passengers and the pandemonium that breaks out in the cabin, with a plane being flown at super-speed and far too low, utter chaos erupts when the hijack finally happens (an hour into the film) and the final attempted passenger coup...well, just see it.  It is a classy film without an ounce of sensationalism, it simply mounts a terrifying episode with filmmaking economy and the emotions on that plane are just primal.

rt
Thanks rt, that helps.  Underneath all my concerns about it's purpose, I think I'm just dreading how the movie will make me feel.  (I felt the same way about Brokeback, but I welcomed it then).  But your feedback helps a lot.

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 03:56:43 pm »
There are a lot of great movies I won't see because I'm -- technical term here -- chicken.

It's hard to express to people why I won't see what I nickname "shot in the face" movies.  I just can't process the fear -- I get physically sick.  Part of me is willing to consider that it may be linked to a childhood experience of being mugged at gunpoint... although my intolerance is not strictly related to depictions of gun-use.

I've often thought I'd be a good film critic, but for my inability to handle so many movies.

So, no.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 04:05:22 pm »
This is one about which I am very ambivalent.

On one hand, I like to see movies that get good reviews and that people are talking about. Over on rottentomatoes this is at 92% right now. Plus, I have come to trust the opinion of our "critic in residence" rt so his endorsement carries a lot of weight for me.

On the other hand, I have my own personal 9/11 story (I won't bore everyone with the details). Not as horrific as many as I have heard, but there's a scar on my soul from that day. I'm not sure I'm ready to go there yet.

If I do see it, it will be in the theater.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline wtbgirl

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2006, 04:08:41 pm »
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. 

Like Juan said, "I think I'm just dreading how the movie will make me feel." 

I echo his sentiments.  For me, I just don't know if I am personally ready to see this yet, especially the early parts of the film dealing directly with NYC (as was mentioned) but as I said, I think it is a worthwhile film for people to see.

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2006, 04:40:13 pm »
*big hug, Amy*

Yes, I too will be seeing it.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2006, 04:53:57 pm »
Honestly, I was waiting to hear that it was faithfully and tastefully and respectfully done.  Since it sounds like it meets those criteria and is a good film to boot, I will very likely see it.  And like Brandon, I don't know as much about that story as some of the others, so I'd be interested in learning more.

I understand the aversion of many here to seeing it, believe me - my husband is a 767 pilot for American Airlines.  And a good friend he was based out of Miami with for years who moved up to New Hampshire about 6 years ago to fly out of Logan lost his best friend who was piloting one of the American flights - he was a husband and father of two young boys who played with his two young girls.
No more beans!

Offline jura86

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2006, 06:04:30 pm »
I really want to see it but its not coming out in the UK till bloody September!!! Which is crazy, since its a British film, isn't it?

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2006, 06:12:17 pm »
No it's an American film, just the director is from the UK.