Author Topic: OT: United 93 -- WILL YOU BE SEEING IT?  (Read 18248 times)

rtprod

Re: OT: United 93 -- WILL YOU BE SEEING IT?
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2006, 08:30:01 pm »
Yeah, I did since this one was hosted in a multi-plex with roped off rows for us important types.  LOL.

Most of the time we view in a bubble of isolation-dom (read: critics screening room).

rt    ;D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 08:32:23 pm by rtprod »

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2006, 08:45:54 pm »
I may not go to the theatre to see it, but I'll probably rent it.

I've seen so much on all the things that happened on 9-11.   

The one I liked the best was about what happened to all the flights that were diverted to Canada and Newfoundland. 

It was heartwarming to see how these 10s of thousands of stranded people were welcomed into the homes of the local people.    At the end of the show they revealed that some of the wealthy stranded passengers later sent back HUGE donations to schools and local charities.  I sat there in tears watching it.

Personally, I liked how in the few weeks after 9-11 everyone around seemed so polite and friendly.   Nobody cut eachother off in traffic, people held doors for you, they hung flags from every bridge and overpass on the eastcoast.  It was nice.   I still have my American flag flying to this day at my house.

What a shame that all the politeness and patriotism is gone.    :-\

David

rtprod

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2006, 08:50:08 pm »
David,

That politeness and patriotism has eroded for some very complicated reasons, not just apathy.  The administration has divided us with their partisan posturing and unwarranted warmongering. 

Also, I'm offering the perspective of international friends living in other countries, who initially poured out support and then recoiled for good and obvious reasons.

rt
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 08:56:49 pm by rtprod »

Offline David

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2006, 09:11:31 pm »
Ugh,   I know.   The whole Iraq mess is a no-win situation for all involved.   

Well, a few people are winning.   The ones with stock in Haliburton Inc. ! 

oh!  don't forget Exxon/Mobil Oil company.   Who seem to be having record setting profits despite the turmoil in the Mid East that supposedly is causing fuel prices to rise. 

Did anyone else get the Boycott Exxon/Mobil emails?
The theory is that if we ALL stop buying from those two Gas stations (they are the same company for those who didn't know that)   thus they will have a huge surplus of gasoline in their depots.   And you know what happens to any product when there is a glut of it!   The price drops!!! 

ARG!   >:(

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2006, 09:50:32 pm »
That politeness and patriotism has eroded for some very complicated reasons, not just apathy...Also, I'm offering the perspective of international friends living in other countries, who initially poured out support and then recoiled for good and obvious reasons.

Ugh,   I know.   The whole Iraq mess is a no-win situation for all involved.   ..Well, a few people are winning.   The ones with stock in Haliburton Inc. !

Very good points, rtprod and David.

I will see United 93, but I do not know when.  It will be hard - I also think viewing it at home alone might be best for me.

This is only peripherally related, but a co-worker today turned down a new, better position because it would involve travel to Israel.  She is a German national, but our company is American, and some sectors have government contracts.  Much of our conversation was about how since 9/11 we're reluctant to travel abroad - moreso because of the American connection than because of being female travelling alone.

It's a sad state of affairs.

-Lynne

--Edited to correct embedded quote problem.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 11:35:07 pm by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2006, 10:50:25 pm »
I think I will see it. The New Yorker review of today was very positive
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2006, 01:09:58 pm »
Potential conflict of interest declared: I like Slate (www.slate.com) and find that their articles tend to resonate well with my fairly liberal point of view.

Okay, so I just read this at lunch, thought it was interesting. I won't post the whole thing, just the link. Head on over and read it, folks.
L
xo

Hijacking the Hijacking
The problem with the United 93 films.
By Ron Rosenbaum

http://www.slate.com/id/2140676/
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2006, 01:27:18 pm »
Yes I will see it, whenever it comes to France.
Yes I will be affected. Not only am I scared of flying, but I also have relatives in the US, and my cousin was working in the WTC at the time (I know the film is not about the crash into the WTC, but same day). The only reason he is still alive is that, THAT day, he was off sick!
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2006, 08:25:59 pm »
Potential conflict of interest declared: I like Slate (www.slate.com) and find that their articles tend to resonate well with my fairly liberal point of view.

Okay, so I just read this at lunch, thought it was interesting. I won't post the whole thing, just the link. Head on over and read it, folks.
L
xo

Hijacking the Hijacking
The problem with the United 93 films.
By Ron Rosenbaum

http://www.slate.com/id/2140676/

Well written piece, but I don't agree with most of it.  It's hard to say what the motivations are behind the movie and how people are likely to take it.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2006, 01:53:48 am »
As Front-Ranger said, the New Yorker gave it a great review; I will see it when it comes here. Preventing more than half of our congressmen from being incinerated seems to me to be more than dumb patriotism...
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters