Author Topic: BM movie is anti-gay??  (Read 44787 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
BM movie is anti-gay??
« on: May 13, 2007, 10:47:09 am »
In some or many ways, the BM movie is anti-gay!! ??

What are you views or proof??

Hugs!!

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: BM movie is anti-gay??
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 06:06:07 pm »
I think, Artiste, that the film is not anti-gay at all...perhaps 'honest gay' is a better word.

Much discussion has occured about the not-so-perfect characteristics of both Ennis and Jack, but these are not to be seen, I think, as anti gay. Rather, human frailties or imperfections that are endured by everyone.

If some viewers look, for example, at Ennis and Jack's adulterous affair as a means to cast negativity on being gay, it would be an unfortunate interpretation, and it would miss the point. While gay lifestyles, and Ennis and Jack's to some degree, are by nature usually different than the typical heterosexual family, director Lee and the writers clearly did not intend to create fodder for any anti gay sentiments. And I do not think it has happened unexpectedly either.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 08:24:11 pm »
     Just my opinion, it is not an anti gay story at alll.  Rather a anti prejudice story.  The entire problem, having been caused by the sociatal prejudices toward gays..If they would have been free to live together, love together, and thus prevent all the pain ,that was then visited on the rest of the people involved. 
     Neither one of them would have been afraid to be together, or to show openly how they felt toward each other.  The only place where they were able to do so was on the mountain...where they were the only society.                              
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 01:50:35 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline Bucky

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 05:44:35 am »
     Just my opinion, it is not an anti gay story at alll.  Rather a anti prejudice story.  The entire problem, having been caused by the sociatal prejudices toward gays.. They would have been free to live together, love together, and thus prevent all the pain, that they then visited on the rest of the people involved. 
     Neither one of them would have been afraid to be together, or to show openly how they felt toward each other.  The only place where they were able to do so was on the mountain...where they were the only society.                              

Great post.  I also think BBM is an anti prejudice story.  If Jack and Ennis had been allowed to follow their true feelings and to just be together and love each other I don't think anyone else would have gotten hurt because Alma and Lureen would have been out of the picture.  Ennis would not have married Alma and Jack would never have met Lureen. Of course it didn't work out that way and they had to try to play by society's rules and to make liars out of themselves because society would not have allowed them to do otherwise.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 09:24:26 pm »
hanks all !!!

I do think that the film is anti-gay, in some ways.

Even in many ways!!

Hugs!!

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 08:26:32 am »
hanks all !!!

I do think that the film is anti-gay, in some ways.

Even in many ways!!

Hugs!!

I am not sure I understand to what you refer.  Can you elaborate on what you mean when you say BbM is anti-gay "in many ways"? 
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 12:34:24 pm »
In some or many ways, the BM movie is anti-gay!! ??

What are you views or proof??

Hugs!!

Artiste, I think that BBM is brutally honest about the reality for many Gay men, not only in 1963 but even today. Thanks for your comment, it has made me consider whether or not it is anti-Gay. I don't believe that BBM is anti-Gay, but it delivers a good right punch at Homophobia and the closet.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 08:52:09 am »
Thanks to all!

There are some gay men who refuse to see the movie again!

It is so hard, that you do feel that there is an anti-gay aspect of it,
in some or too many ways??

Awaiting your news,
hugs!

Oh, come to my next art exhibition of the paintings I create:
it is from September 11th to September 24th inclusively 2007,
at the very beautiful La Galerie Le 1040, at, 1040 Marie-Anne Est Street,
Montreal! Bienvenue, yes welcome! This will NOT be an anti-gay nor anti-peace exhibition, as I will be there!!
Artiste L'AngdonArt (LangdonArt)

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 11:02:03 am »

Great post.  I also think BBM is an anti prejudice story.  If Jack and Ennis had been allowed to follow their true feelings and to just be together and love each other I don't think anyone else would have gotten hurt because Alma and Lureen would have been out of the picture.  Ennis would not have married Alma and Jack would never have met Lureen. Of course it didn't work out that way and they had to try to play by society's rules and to make liars out of themselves because society would not have allowed them to do otherwise.

Well said Bucky, I couldn,t have put that better myself. That is exactly right. :)

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 10:01:36 pm »
Bucky, you took the words right out of my mouth  :) You said exactly what i feel is true and what I believe would have happened if Jack and Ennis could have been together. And the really sad thing is that there are so many people out there right now living the same way. They cannot be themselves because of what society expects from them. The outcome is often that other people become involved in their lives because they feel that they have to live a lie. It is sad, but true.

And Artiste, I am really confused as to why you think this movie is anti-gay. I'm just not quite sure what you mean by that. Please explain further. Thanks.