Author Topic: A Message from "True_Oracle_of_Phoenix"  (Read 18624 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
A Message from "True_Oracle_of_Phoenix"
« on: June 05, 2007, 08:09:26 am »
IMDB continues to experience one of its most disruptive troll invasions ever -- the ghost-bumpers of inane threads.

The attack is a bot program (in violation of US Federal Law), and threads are bumped that are stupid, inane, out of date, or negative.  Often an original post is somewhat inane, and it generates a few responses.  Then the original post is deleted and thread is ghost bumped to the top of the heap along with several others, crowding out most attempts at genuine discussion. 

Although some members are reporting some headway in addressing this problem with admins and letting them know the enormity of the problem, the reality is that addressing it will be a slow process.  SusieBell reports in a thread that she had been in contact with IMDB admins who had succeeded in disabling the accounts of the trolls who are bump-deleting threads, but the attack continues and perhaps the activity is now being carried out under new identities.

If you are an IMBD regular and you have come here seeking refuge from this latest troll storm, then welcome.  You may know me as TOoP - the reposter of lost but not forgotten threads, or my IMDB "bump IDs": Cowbot_X (an identity that was recently attacked and all posts were wiped out) , GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40, Boot_in_the_Fire, The_Bar_in_Signal, CrowJumpin, and a few more I have in reserve.  These extra identities are utilitarian, and I use them for their lower quota ratings.  These pretenses are not necessary on this board, since threads do not roll off the back end of the board if not bumped every two weeks.

A long time ago, I was a semi-regular poster on IMDB under the name bjblakeslee, and it is under that name that I have quietly posted here at BetterMost since it was founded in the midst of the first destructive troll invasion at IMDB.  And it is under my own name that I prefer to known at Bettermost.

If you are here because you are looking for a safe port in the troll storm, please know that you are among friends here. 

If you are newly here from IMDB and your are feeling that you are at a party where you don't really know anyone, rest assured -- you may know more people here than you think!

TOoP / Bruce

« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 09:26:24 am by bjblakeslee »
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: A Message from "True_Oracle_of_Phoenix"
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 10:52:11 am »
Welcome back to the fold, Bruce.  Thanks for that update on the situation at IMDb.  That bot program sounds particularly mean and insidious.  >:(

We hope you and Susiebell and our fellow IMDb Brokies will take up your seats around the campfire and join in the gabfest.  Nice to have you here!  8)

Cheers,
Meryl
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 12:00:09 pm »
If you are an IMBD regular and you have come here seeking refuge from this latest troll storm, then welcome.  You may know me as TOoP - the reposter of lost but not forgotten threads, or my IMDB "bump IDs": Cowbot_X (an identity that was recently attacked and all posts were wiped out) , GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40, Boot_in_the_Fire, The_Bar_in_Signal, CrowJumpin, and a few more I have in reserve.

Hi Bruce, YOU'RE CowbotX and GeorgeObliqueStroke?! For a while I suspected they were someone else.  ;)  But maybe that sort of explains why I thought so!

And you're CrowJumpin? Isn't he the one who does those fabulous type-art (there must be another term for those, hunh  ???) pictures of cowboys and cigarettes and things like that?

Cool aliases.

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 12:17:35 pm »
Hi TOoP!

You do wonderful work (and I do mean work) over at IMDb.

I saw one of your posts from GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40 signed TOoP the other day, but you caught it and changed it right away.

Got any clue how those bot programs work and any way they can be detected and disabled?

CB

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 12:19:39 pm »
Welcome back, BJ. Haven't seen you around in a while. You've been away way too long.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

mvansand76

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 01:14:03 pm »
Welcome to Bettermost imdb-Brokies!!!! You will find a safe home here!  :-*

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 02:22:27 pm »

A long time ago, I was a semi-regular poster on IMDB under the name bjblakeslee, and it is under that name that I have quietly posted here at BetterMost since it was founded in the midst of the first destructive troll invasion at IMDB.  And it is under my own name that I prefer to known at Bettermost.

If you are newly here from IMDB and your are feeling that you are at a party where you don't really know anyone, rest assured -- you may know more people here than you think!

TOoP / Bruce

Bruce,

Welcome to BetterMost.  Hint, hint:  I just checked and saw that "Bruce" is available as a username, perhaps waiting just for you.  If you want it, it can be yours.  BTW, it's easy to change your username here.  If you're interested and need help, just PM me.

Susie,

Welcome to you, too.  It has to be frustrating constantly fighting trolls over at IMDB and so time-consuming.  You won't have problems like that here. 

See you both around the forum.

Fran

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 02:34:21 pm »
Hi TOoP!

You do wonderful work (and I do mean work) over at IMDb.

I saw one of your posts from GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40 signed TOoP the other day, but you caught it and changed it right away.

Got any clue how those bot programs work and any way they can be detected and disabled?

CB

It was a mistake.  I've occasionally logged on with an account, and forgotten which ID is active when I've posted.  For people who PM me, I usually confess to the other IDs quickly since as I said, I am not trying to deceive anyone with them.  I use them to bump threads because IMDB has upped my quota as TOoP to 2:30 minutes.  George has a one minute quota.  That makes him a more efficient bumper.  

Boot in the Fire was intended as a "bumper", but by accident he started a thread on Brokeback Anagrams that is still running.  The truth is, I simply forgot which ID was active when I logged on.  

My posts as Cowbot_X were intended to let me speak freely.  TOoP became something of a trademark for reposted threads, and people  would naturally expect to see a thread that was begun by TOoP as something that was interesting, but perhaps a dead conversation since none of the original posters could be contacted.  Cowbot_X let me break away from that identity and post something original.  Unfortunately, trolls got Cowbot_X's account wiped and the quota was upped to 2:30 minutes as well, so he will not be a very effective bumper any longer. ("Cowbot" was a tongue in cheek reference to an old thread I had reposted on IMDB "I 'Cowbot, Brokeback Fever Pitch, and about a 100 other sequels."  The original ran for months, and was brought down by a troll attack in August 2006. )

About the bot programs, they are apparently designed to kick in at strategic times to fill the message thread sampler box on the front page of Brokeback Mountain at IMDB with offensive or inane posts.  I know that if the admins wanted to see who was posting and deleting in a tread it should be a simple matter to look it up.  The Admins at IMDB are apparently unwilling to do so.  Apparently, they would rather pretend there is no problem, than respond to the abuse reports.  The flaws in the system are exploited fully by the trolls who understand them better than the people who try to follow the rules.  As the people who founded this board well know, IMDB has not always been the friendliest environment for Brokies.  

I won't give up on IMDB, but the reality is that until the admins there troll-proof their systems, it may be pointless to continue to post material over there.

TOoP / Bruce

Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 08:06:08 pm »

Welcome IMDB-ers!  So happy you've found your way here.  You certainly are amongst friends here.  Many of us got our start at IMDB, so you'll find lots of empathy for the frustration you're feeling with some of the problems over at IMDB.  I came over from IMDB during the first major troll war that really started the day the DVD of BBM was released back in early April 2006.  It was soooooooooo upsetting to see great old threads being deleted and to see the negativity that overwhelmed the big BBM board over there pretty quickly.  I still have an account over there with the same username that I have here.  But, I rarely, rarely venture back there these days.  BetterMost is a very friendly community, so I hope you feel right at home here and have fun exploring the forums.

cheers
Amanda
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 11:02:20 pm »
Hi TOoP. You did marvellous work on the other Brokie board - even were kind enough to help me out with a reopost once as I didn't know how to do it.

This is essentially my first visit to this board. It's a bit confusing at the moment but I'm sure I can get the
hang of it. However, my heart is still with the old place, so I hope I can become what somebody has called "bibordial".

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 11:53:43 pm »
Hi TOoP. You did marvellous work on the other Brokie board - even were kind enough to help me out with a reopost once as I didn't know how to do it.

This is essentially my first visit to this board. It's a bit confusing at the moment but I'm sure I can get the
hang of it. However, my heart is still with the old place, so I hope I can become what somebody has called "bibordial".

You will find a lot of people you recognize from the other board have come here already.  You may feel more at home here than you think!  This board is divided up in a way that IMDB is not, but don't let that intimidate you. 

Littlewing, malina, toycoon, bannerhill (now banner road), shasta, and suziebell are all over here, as well as many of the original brokies who participated in the old threads I've tried to preserve on the other board.  There is also a lot of content here that is not on the other board, so take your time to explore and enjoy what this place offers. 

TOoP / Bruce

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 12:27:36 am »
I like the name, 'True Oracle of Phoenix'. It sounds kinda worldly and wise.
Of course, I like Cowbot-X, too. I'm a fool for hyphens!
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 03:50:40 am »

Although some members are reporting some headway in addressing this problem with admins and letting them know the enormity of the problem, the reality is that addressing it will be a slow process.  SusieBell reports in a thread that she had been in contact with IMDB admins who had succeeded in disabling the accounts of the trolls who are bump-deleting threads, but the attack continues and perhaps the activity is now being carried out under new identities.

God - that brings back memories fighting the fight 15 months ago. You'd have thought the trolls would have got bored by now.. but I guess new ones just appear :(

But for every troll we have ophers who are really interested in BBM.. and thats a good thing!

I also have an account in IMDB but again like amanda use it rarely?

Do you guys know about the saved IMDB threads webpage we have? from about 15 months ago?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 04:46:57 am »
God - that brings back memories fighting the fight 15 months ago. You'd have thought the trolls would have got bored by now.. but I guess new ones just appear :(

But for every troll we have ophers who are really interested in BBM.. and thats a good thing!

I also have an account in IMDB but again like amanda use it rarely?

Do you guys know about the saved IMDB threads webpage we have? from about 15 months ago?

It sure does bring back memories, Kelda. Who could ever forget that awful Foxinator and Tigernator?  :P

As someone already pointed out, nearly all of us are former IMDb members who eventually grew tired of all the abuse from trolls and the disappointment of watching our threads get hijacked and then disappear. It's nice to have a place like BetterMost where we can all discuss the movie, and other things too, without worrying about those awful, nasty trolls.

I would like to welcome all the IMDb'ers to BetterMost. Most of us have walked on the same path and you all are welcome here. Please PM me if you have any questions, comments or concerns.  :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 05:04:56 am »
It sure does bring back memories, Kelda. Who could ever forget that awful Foxinator and Tigernator?  :P

gha! yes I remeber them well..bloody trolls.

and sillysnake.

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 06:49:59 am »
gha! yes I remeber them well..bloody trolls.

and sillysnake.

Tigernator is back as TigerisJomama and the troll Megajizzer (perhaps formerly TangyVaginaSauces?) is also back.  They are the least of our boards problems...

DannyThomas, thebeej, kaching, Al_Dente   
  by ClancyPantsNasty   3 minutes ago (Thu Apr 26 2007 13:26:54 )   
Ignore this User | Report Abuse   
REPOST #19 DUE TO DELETION

DannyThomas, thebeej, kaching, Al_Dente

These are all one person and they have been doing a lot of the stealth bumping - a violation of the IMDb Terms of Service. Belindah and RickPacheco were in on it earlier tonight. This is all a part of the Haight_Male group. I will soon post a thread explaining just who this person is and why this person is a Brokie turned bad.

I have been in contact with the IMDb administration about this for about two weeks now. They told me that if we can capture their posts and send the relevant information on to them that they will disable all of the accounts that belong to this one person, ban this person’s IP address from IMDb, and will file a complaint with this person’s internet service provider.

I have now captured over 100 of this person’s violating posts -- 25 tonight alone. I have all of the relevant information. I will send it on to administration. First I am going to post the thread that explains who this person is and then I am going to give him/her a chance to PM me. Otherwise, in about 1 week I am going to send all of the information on. Hopefully his/her internet service provider will also cancel all of his/her accounts and services, but that’s up to them. IMDb has said that internet service providers have been cooperative.

I honestly cannot understand what drives a person to use his/her time to disrupt something just to hurt other people. It is truly pathetic.

I will repost this message as often as I have to as it will more than likely be deleted.

7LangtonA1

Re: DannyThomas, thebeej, kaching, Al_Dente   
  by ClancyPantsNasty   2 minutes ago (Thu Apr 26 2007 13:28:33 )   
Ignore this User | Report Abuse   
by bad_ass_baybi (Wed Apr 25 2007 07:37:00 )

Well done. And Sandy_Beach as well? This is another 'Post deleted' alias of the same person I think.

by Frank_Z (Wed Apr 25 2007 07:42:28 )

Thank you for this work. I had been away awhile and it was puzzling at first to see all the [post deleted] bumps in rapid succession.

by ClancyPantsNasty (Wed Apr 25 2007 16:30:50 )

Good catch bad_ass_baybi!

There are at least three separate individuals who are currently doing all of the “no name” trollish activities here. The Haight_Male group is one. The PatCro group is another. The third I don’t want to talk about yet. But I will!! And there may be a fourth, but if I am right about the fourth one, it’s too disgusting. I really, really hope I am wrong about the fourth one.

by ClancyPantsNasty (Wed Apr 25 2007 16:32:27 )

It’s interesting that Haight_Male and PatCro are both on the board right now…

… and freeskate and kaching were here within the last hour…

… and the thread’s been deleted… how many times??

by littlewing1957 (Wed Apr 25 2007 10:08:11 )

Wow, Clancy, thanks for taking this on! Good work, as always! 

by ClancyPantsNasty (Wed Apr 25 2007 16:35:39 )

Hi littlewing1957 --

No problem! If they want to play their little game... fine... I’ll play.

If they want to be a$$holes... fine... I can be an a$$hole too -- hell, I invented the word!

They just want to stir up trouble, be rude, and intentionally hurt people. I’m not going to let that go by unnoticed.

All they have to do is stop. I have never started anything with any of them. If they stop, I stop. It’s that simple.

by ClancyPantsNasty (Wed Apr 25 2007 16:37:15 )

It’s interesting that Belindah, DannyThomas, PatCro, Pepe_el_Romano, posterama, and LaPaloma all have been on the board in the last half hour…

by ClancyPantsNasty (Wed Apr 25 2007 16:38:50 )

It’s interesting that, DannyThomas, PatCro, thebeej, and LaPaloma all have been on the board in the last hour…

What are the odds??

by - ClancyPantsNasty (Thu Apr 26 2007 08:35:21)

This is a special bump for the following usernames:

thebeej
Sandy_Beach
kaching
DannyThomas
Al_Dente
MerryJoe_Moles
LaPaloma
Belindah
cheriberry
freeskate
jean-claude_pierre

(and three other names that I've already said I don't want to mention quite yet)

They were all here in a two hour space in the wee hours of this morning, bumping and deleting, bumping and deleting.

the beej decided to leave its evidence this time:

Re: Last Line

by thebeej 4 hours ago (Thu Apr 26 2007 02:59:33 )

bump

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/board/flat/71657285?d=72799749#72799749

And... PatCro and “another name” are here right now. And... my threads are disapparing... hmmm... a connection??

by niptuckonfx (Thu Apr 26 2007 09:31:11 )

lol seems like due to all the deletes this topic
has became yours ClancyPantsNasty ha ha ha just thought
I would post in that way you dont hafta do it all yourself

by PanteraRosa (Thu Apr 26 2007 09:52:50 )

Wow, even my post to you in this thread has been deleted now Clancy.

I wouldn’t have guessed my question: “Are they just trolling or are they zombies on a ‘phishing trip’ or a third option I don’t know about?” would be that threatening to ‘them’.

Keep up the good work ClancyPants!!

by niptuckonfx (Thu Apr 26 2007 09:59:50 )

“Are they just trolling or are they zombies on a ‘phishing trip’ or a third option I don’t know about?”
and that statement is Oscar worthy OMG lol I am really laughing
how a person can say something so funny thats goin down in my book
of “funny sh*t” lol BRAVO! PanteraRos

by Doug-Nasty (Thu Apr 26 2007 10:04:49 )

niptuckonfx: Yeah, it seems some people don’t like it when they are ‘caught- in-the-act’ of trying to cause trouble for others. It appears that they are suffering from an occlusion of the synaptic pathways resulting in any cerebral functions occurring in a somewhat less than efficacious manner.

What a meagre existence. Don’t these people, er, “trolls” have lives?

by garycottle (Thu Apr 26 2007 10:11:31 )

Doug! And you accused me of dropping five dollar words. 

Go on and let them fly. I just love them, and I’ve got my dictionary right here.

by niptuckonfx (Thu Apr 26 2007 10:15:09 )

well I am keeping an eye on this topic
(not getting involved in the feud) because
I just know there will be alot of funny comments
let it all out guys lol ha ha ha =)

by Doug-Nasty (Thu Apr 26 2007 10:21:15 )

Gary: I’m gonna have to find some newer “five dollar” words/expressions, as I’ve used this one quite a few times lately. Hopefully this has helped everyone increase their word-power/vocabulary somewhat. As for the trolls, perhaps they should start at the beginning: “See Dick and Jane”....”See Spot run”.

Of course, in their pitiable state, even this may be far too advanced for them. LOL!

by TrollHammer 45 seconds ago (Thu Apr 26 2007 11:18:45 )

by TrollHammer (Thu Apr 26 2007 00:31:13)

Weirdly, tonight when I went to double check how many threads I had just bumped -- I lose count, and on any given day I don't like to bump too many or too few when I can help it -- my entire TrollHammer profile prior to tonight had been wiped. All my prior posts, I mean. Luckily not my other MonsterSmasher identities, but *piffle*. I wonder if there's some obscure indirect connection with this rash of stealth bumping and/or the steps necessary to combat said rash.

There's a couple of our regular -- non-stealth!! -- bumpers who, if I see they've bumped a thread before, I usually automatically rebump it when I get to it. I've seen clues that they may be doing me the same courtesy, but now all my "TrollHammer has opined, at least one time, that this thread is gooood" are *poof*. Rats! Plus if a thread has an annoying-sounding title but is actually a great thread, seeing 6 TrollHammer bumps (which at every-14-days is like 3-ish months running) is a quick guide that I didn't bump it by accident and don't have to keep eyeing it suspiciously every time I decide if I should bump it. Uh, is?? was! Double rats!!

My Clark-Kent-esque identity likewise hasn't been messed with, bless my lucky stars, but it's not high-activity enough to put itself in anyone's line of fire. (And you know who I am, Clancy, and know I'm not one of the baddies, neither in my Clark-ish form nor my Supes-ish form. Vouch for me if it comes up, 'kay bud?)

Anyhoo... Keep up the good fight against these disruptive jerks. Toodles, bud.

TrollHammer/OgreMaul/OgMallet/BruteSmasher/GrendelSledge

by ClancyPantsNasty (Thu Apr 26 2007 11:25:39 )

Hi TrollHammer --

“My Clark-Kent-esque identity likewise hasn’t been messed with, bless my lucky stars, but it’s not high-activity enough to put itself in anyone’s line of fire. (And you know who I am, Clancy, and know I’m not one of the baddies, neither in my Clark-ish form nor my Supes-ish form. Vouch for me if it comes up, ‘kay bud?)”

Oh, cripes, yes! You are most definitely one of the good ones. A true Brokie. No doubt about it. I value your service here to keep good, old threads alive. And TOoP’s service of reposting old threads. And, there is someone else who has PMed me and wants me to get in on a bigger project of old-thread rescue. It sounds interesting, but I may not have a lot of time starting very soon.

Thanks for all you do TH! (And, no, I hadn’t seen this post of yours. I had to call it an early night last night.)

Unfortunately, Trollhammer's IDs have been also been targetted for attack.  Trollhammer labors hard (and quite ingeniously I might add) night after night along with NP to prevent a large part of the IMDB BbM board from rolling off the back end if not bumped every two weeks.  TH and NP are both "heavy lifters" on TOB, and their contributions to preserving TOB are huge.  I am extremely grateful to the both of them.

The troll groups currently attacking IMDB are as follows:

jean-claude_pierre http://www.imdb.com/user/ur5989380/boards/profile/
posterama http://www.imdb.com/user/ur11801161/boards/profile/
LaPaloma http://www.imdb.com/user/ur1! 2583365/boards/profile/
cheriberry http://www.imdb.com/user/ur2164936/boards/profile/
RickPacheco http://www.imdb.com/user/ur4780265/boards/profile/

Belindah http://www.imdb.com/user/ur2173987/boards/profile/
DannyThomas http://www.imdb.com/user/ur2127214/boards/profile/
Al_Dente http://www.imdb.com/user/ur10285752/boards/profile/
thebeej http://www.imdb.com/user/ur2120283/boards/profile/
Sandy_Beach http://www.imdb.com/user/ur12648358/boards/profile/
kaching http://www.imdb.com/user/ur2660172/boards/profile/

MerryJoe_Moles http://www.imdb.com/user/ur6829819/boards/profile/
monty clift http://www.imdb.com/user/ur1263057/boards/profile/
Theo Robertson http://www.imdb.com/user/ur1532177/boards/profile/
freeskate http://www.imdb.com/user/ur2141003/boards/profile/
Haight_Male http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3616410/boards/profile/
Pepe_el_Romano http://www.imdb.com/user/ur6783663/boards/profile/

I got this list from TDE who got it from ClancyPants.  Clancy's account was deleted and TDE's account was wiped.  The groups of names on this are probably only three people and they are doing most of the damage currently to the TOB.

Clancy speculated that there was one other troll who was a former IMDBer and BetterMostian. 

Unfortunately, I think he might have been correct...

TOoP / Bruce

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007, 07:00:30 am »
now was there not a few people looking to get the archived threads webpage back into use - if you want to save threads this might be the way to go for you..

can anyone provide more info?

Tigernator tried to sign up here - he lasted about 15mins before Phillip had him tracked down to college room somewhere in the US and got his IP banded and told the college!

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 07:28:14 am »
now was there not a few people looking to get the archived threads webpage back into use - if you want to save threads this might be the way to go for you..

can anyone provide more info?

I had contacted the people who ran that board back in January, but interest seemed somewhat tepid.  It sounded like they had a lot of threads already and maybe didn't have the time to update the site. My impression, although I love that site, is that is was essentially an abandoned project.

My saved files are .webarchive and can be "Folderize"d for Windows users. 

TOoP /  Bruce

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 08:38:55 am »
I believe there was talk about if there was anyone that could in effect take it over though...so that someone else could put the love into it that andrew could no longer do because of time and technology issues.

EDIT: found the link to the posts!

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,534.msg156846/topicseen.html#msg156846

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 09:29:15 am »
I believe there was talk about if there was anyone that could in effect take it over though...so that someone else could put the love into it that andrew could no longer do because of time and technology issues.

EDIT: found the link to the posts!

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,534.msg156846/topicseen.html#msg156846

Thanks for that link!  I will contact them again and see if there is anything I can do to help with that project.

TOoP / Bruce

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2007, 12:33:28 pm »
Clancy speculated that there was one other troll who was a former IMDBer and BetterMostian. 

Unfortunately, I think he might have been correct...

Why do you suppose he suspected that? I remember him saying that, but I never knew what made him think so.

His comments about the person's identity sure sound portentious ... Too bad he disappeared before clearing up the mystery.

???

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2007, 01:07:02 pm »
Why do you suppose he suspected that? I remember him saying that, but I never knew what made him think so.

His comments about the person's identity sure sound portentious ... Too bad he disappeared before clearing up the mystery.

???

interesting, interesting...

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2007, 03:17:09 pm »
Yeah, it got real weird over there for a while.  Any chance Clancy might show up here?

Sometimes I feel like I've started in the middle of a book and can't quite catch up to what's going on.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2007, 07:31:17 pm »
Yeah, it got real weird over there for a while.  Any chance Clancy might show up here?

He was here last summer, then deleted his account. But you never know ...

Sometimes I feel like I've started in the middle of a book and can't quite catch up to what's going on.

Don't worry, Clyde, you'll catch up before long.  :)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2007, 07:56:35 am »
Hi Bruce,

He passed the identity onto TheDozyEmbrace.  I pestered her but she wouldn't give me his/her identity.  And of course, TheDozyEmbrace got her account deleted by the trolls too, so maybe we'll never know.

It was horrible though ... it made me suspicious of everyone , which is  not  a nice feeling!

it's a relief to be in a troll-free environment. I feel quite at home here SmileyCentral.com" border="0

Susie xox 8) 

I know I got emails from TDE explaining it to me, but to be honest, it left me with more questions than answers. 

As Annie said, "If you can't fix it, you gotta stand it."

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2007, 08:37:41 am »
Hi Bruce,

He passed the identity onto TheDozyEmbrace.  I pestered her but she wouldn't give me his/her identity.  And of course, TheDozyEmbrace got her account deleted by the trolls too, so maybe we'll never know.

It was horrible though ... it made me suspicious of everyone , which is  not  a nice feeling!

it's a relief to be in a troll-free environment. I feel quite at home here SmileyCentral.com" border="0

Susie xox 8) 

I hope we can confine the intrigue to fan fiction sites!

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2007, 10:16:40 am »
I hope we can confine the intrigue to fan fiction sites!

I am in agreement.  ;D

Drama class is over!

Time for recess! 

Let's play!   :laugh:

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2007, 05:11:49 am »
In settling in I've made a change.

I am now officially -- TOoP/Bruce.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2007, 11:39:26 am »
In settling in I've made a change.

I am now officially -- TOoP/Bruce.

Cool, Bruce!  (Why does that make me think of "My Little Deuce Coupe?")  ;)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2007, 11:47:35 am »
People may pronounce the TOoP part however they wish, but I pronounce it "2 op"!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2007, 11:55:25 am »
People may pronounce the TOoP part however they wish, but I pronounce it "2 op"!

That's good to know.  I was wondering how to "say" it in my head.  ;)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Can I call you, "True"?
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2007, 10:09:40 pm »
I never had no friend named,"True" and I'm quite proud of it in fact!
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Can I call you, "True"?
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2007, 10:55:41 pm »
I never had no friend named,"True" and I'm quite proud of it in fact!

And I never had a friend named named Toy - least not 'til I met you you!   

Yours "True"ly  ;D

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2007, 02:04:51 pm »
I've left this message on TOB:
+------------------------------------------------------+
|               *****                                  |
|           *****************                          |
|         ** **        ********                        |
|       ***    ************  ***                       |
|       *                    ****                      |
|       *                    ****                      |
|       *                     ***                      |
|       *                    ********                  |
|       *      *************************               |
|     **************************************           |
|  ***********************  **************             |
| ************       *** *   ***********               |
|***************       **   *******                    |
|****     ** **             *********                  |
|          *                ************               |
|          *               ***************             |
|          ****          *******************           |
|             **        *********************          |
|              ***    ************************         |
|                *******************************       |
|                     **t************************      |
|                    *****************************     |
|                    ******************************    |
|                    ******************************    |
|                   ********************************   |
|                   *********************************  |
|                   ********************************** |
|                   ********************************** |
|                   ***********************************|
|                   ***********************************|
|                  Jack, I swear...................... |
+------------------------------------------------------+

==================================

Dry your eyes if this board dies,
for we are not defeated!
There is a B E T T E R way, dear friends -
than always "b u m p - d e l e t e d."

In the land where bluebirds sing
and whiskey springs,
they play "The WIngs",
I have begun repostIng things --

"True Oracle of Phoenix"

( aka: TOoP/Bruce)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2007, 02:57:24 pm »
Dry your eyes if this board dies,
for we are not defeated!
There is a B E T T E R way, dear friends -
than always "b u m p - d e l e t e d."

In the land where bluebirds sing
and whiskey springs,
they play "The WIngs",
I have begun repostIng things --

Very nice.  Sounds like a folk legend in the making!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2007, 07:31:53 pm »
On Thursday June 21, 2007, the "True Oracle of Phoenix" ceased to be on IMDb.

It was foreseen.

Hence, the creation of this board.

The Oracle is now reborn as TOoP / Bruce.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2007, 09:36:37 pm »
Very nice.  Sounds like a folk legend in the making!  8)

Meryl, this seems like something to be added to the Cult/High-Priestess repertoire of poems, rituals and sayings.
 8)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2007, 02:42:41 am »
Meryl, this seems like something to be added to the Cult/High-Priestess repertoire of poems, rituals and sayings.
 8)

Done!  8)

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,3655.msg211597.html#msg211597
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2007, 07:38:26 pm »
 :-*

Offline sagebrush

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2007, 01:46:56 pm »
Hi Everybody,
I am very thankful for all the wonderful work archiving the old IMDb threads, what a labor of love...!  However, I wonder if you guys should be quite so candid about your various id's and info on how to get threads deleted, etc. even on this forum.  If a troll signs up to Bettermost but never posts, only lurks, they can learn all kinds of stuff that wouldn't be good for them to know.   You wouldn't kick them off or track them down unless they actually posted something nasty, but they could roam here and find all kinds of ways to destroy the IMDb board.  Sorry if I sound like a downer, I am just uneasy about all this.  I always feel that PM is the best way to go, in general.  Just a thought.

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2007, 08:09:07 am »
I have been in the process of moving, and have not had as much time to check in over the past week. 

The move is proceeding smoothly, and soon I will be settled and back to checking in regularly.

TOoP / Bruce