Author Topic: Has American Culture Ruined You?  (Read 12545 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Has American Culture Ruined You?
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2007, 03:41:16 am »

Well you are probably tired of hearing my opinion on this.  but i woud like to interject one thing..I think when we went to Disneyland last time we had a wonderful experience with people from all over the world.. They were all there and enjoying the days and each other. along with the sites.. The group we ran into from Korea were all rude as could be. Cutting lines and shoving even small children.  But I would never think that All Koreans were like that.. It was just some individuals.. Its the same with every race color and creed..Its an individuals problem not their country.

And thank you Dottie for the support as well.. I sometimes think i am a
lone oddity in the world.  Especially these days..

Beautiful mind

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2007, 09:45:59 am »

"Brokeback Mountain" is a product of American culture! I rest my case!  :D

Oh, and I don't think anyone so far has mentioned that America came to the aid of Australia during WWII. Thank you, America, for coming to Australia's aid.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2007, 12:38:20 pm »
Some Americans do act very badly overseas though. I've seen it firsthand. I remember when we were in Spain (Marbella) and we were checking into the hotel there. An American in front of us started yelling and bitching at the hotel clerk because he wasn't fluent in English. This guy turned around and looked at all of us and said something like "I can't believe this country. Nobody speaks English here!"

This is something I don't like about some american tourists. When they come here some expect everyone here to speak English and don't bother to learn a word or two of Spanish. (I mean you can learn some from Sesame Street!) However, if you travel to the United States, unless the person is hispanic born, nobody bothers to speak in Spanish to you! You have to learn some English to get around.

In Spain almost nobody speaks English, if they do they do it badly. Their second language tends to be french because France is the next door neighbor. I have seen many tourists getting mad at the police officers who patrol the tourism areas in Madrid for not speaking in English. They simply answer, if you don't speak spanish to me, I can't help you. My sister and I have offered to translate for them many times. Some have even asked us how come nobody speaks English here, and I'm like hello? because you're in Spain and people here speak Spanish!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 12:44:29 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2007, 01:51:17 pm »

I agree 100 % Natalie.  That is a racist, and lazy way to be.  I feel exactly the same as you..They are Ugly Americans.  But it still isnt the way all americans are as you well know.

Beautiful mind

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2007, 04:27:56 pm »
This is something I don't like about some american tourists. When they come here some expect everyone here to speak English and don't bother to learn a word or two of Spanish. (I mean you can learn some from Sesame Street!) However, if you travel to the United States, unless the person is hispanic born, nobody bothers to speak in Spanish to you! You have to learn some English to get around.

In Spain almost nobody speaks English, if they do they do it badly. Their second language tends to be french because France is the next door neighbor. I have seen many tourists getting mad at the police officers who patrol the tourism areas in Madrid for not speaking in English. They simply answer, if you don't speak spanish to me, I can't help you. My sister and I have offered to translate for them many times. Some have even asked us how come nobody speaks English here, and I'm like hello? because you're in Spain and people here speak Spanish!

Ah now see here is something we can agree on.  So many of my fellow American's have a sense of entitlement they take with them when they travel abroad.   It gets packed in their luggage along their inappropriate attire, suntan lotion and pepto bismol.   I have seen it time and time again in my travels.  It very often goes so far that they think they are not subject to the laws of the land they visit just because they are Americans.  I have heard people actually have the nerve to say: "You can't do that to me I'm an AMERICAN!" like that makes everything O.K. !  What's the policeman supposed to do jump back and say oh I'm sorry I didn't know.  Sheeesh...  It embarasses me terrible.   Another thing they do that makes me want to hide under the table is make disparaging remarks.  Innocent I'm sure but even innocent observations can come across as superior and judgmental, as in: "Your cars are so small here!" or "I can't believe this restaurant doesn't have ice cubes." 

America due to it's sheer size creates an insular culture.  Most Europeans don't really get that and it's significance because everywhere you go in Europe you are immersed in a new country, new culture, new language in a few hours.    The vast majority of Americans go their entire lives without ever leaving American soil.  Their only experience of foreign culture is what they see on TV or the foreign people they meet trying to assimilate into their communities.  And for a rare few little hops into Canada to have their perscriptions filled or jaunts into Tia Juana or Juarez to see: "what they have for boys like you Jack Twist." American's aren't even the same from one coast to the other or one border to the other.    And yet the actions of these misguided self absorbed jerks stems from the same one of two places ~ ignorance or arrogance.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 04:33:05 pm by dot-matrix »
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Eire1978

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2007, 06:03:39 pm »
You Have Not Been Ruined by American Culture

You're nothing like the typical American. In fact, you may not be American at all.
You have a broad view of the world, and you're very well informed.
And while you certainly have been influenced by American culture (who hasn't?), it's not your primary influence.
You take a more global philosophy with your politics, taste, and life. And you're always expanding and revising what you believe.

True, I'm not American...lol

Has American Culture Ruined You?

http://www.blogthings.com/hasamericancultureruinedyouquiz/

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2007, 09:28:27 pm »
Oh, no!  I'm a little ruined!  (Is that like being a little pregnant?)

You've Been a Little Ruined by American Culture

Whether you live in the US or not, deep down you're a little American.
And there's nothing wrong with loving American culture, but it may have negative effects on your life.
Slow down and enjoy what you have. Reconnect with life's simple pleasures.
You don't need to be in a consumerist rat race. Life's too short to overwork yourself!

Has American Culture Ruined You?

http://www.blogthings.com/hasamericancultureruinedyouquiz/

No more beans!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2007, 09:50:12 am »
Hey Dottie,
Thanks for posting that! I love that speech Actually, it was made in the 70's.
Well I hope after I write this those who like me continue to do so.
I love my Country. I will be the first to admit that we are very very far from perfect!
I have to think though that we are the greatest nation on the planet. Sorry, thats my feeling.
I admit, I haven't seen the world first hand but the countries I have visited and ones where my family has lived don't hold a candle to us.
Both my Grandfathers fought in WWII. My Moms Dad was in the South Pacific and My Dads father was in Europe. My Dads Father helped free the prisoners in the Nordhusen concentration camp and had to document the atrocites for the Nuremburg war tribunals. He still has nightmares to this day over what he saw and he's 87.
As a nation we give more money and aid than the GNP of most other countries combined. We are good kind people who will help anyone who needs it. When the terrible earthquakes hit Turkey and Pakistan and when the Tsunami hit we were one of the first ther to offer help. Some of the groups that went to help earthquake victims went of their own accord (Texas Equisearch) with their own funds and no help from our government or any other.
No, we don't learn a lot of other languages here. In Europe you have several countries very close together that speak different languages. We don't have that here. In Canada the Majority speak english. Mexico obviously speaks Spanish. I know that Spanish is now being pushed in our schools and many are learning it. Most of our Fedral and State Documents are availible in Spanish as well as many other languages. However, I agree if you are going to another Country it is rude to expect everyone there to cater to you! Thats Just ridiculous! But, what can ya do? Some people are assholes no matter where they come from.I think Oprah Winfrey said it best "In no other country on the face of the earth could a poor black female rise from abject poverty to become a billionaire". i know this first hand. I am by no means a billionaire. Hell most days I'm not even a thousandaire LOL! But I was born poor in the Appilachian Mountains. We had an outhouse and the onlyheat we had was a coal burning stove. But we worked hard and bettered ourselves. I was the first in my family to go to College. It wasn't because I am white, it wasn't because I am male. It is because my family as well as myself wanted somthing better and we worked hard for it.
We all have a lot to offer no matter where we are from! I love getting to talk to people from other countries and learn how they think and how they live. I think this is how we will truly become a global village. Not from our governments (their all idiots in my mind) but from common folk such as ourselves who take the time to meet one another and discuss ideas and experiences.
As to GWB, well, I voted for him (no throwing things at me) I considered him the lesser of two evils. I think Kerry was a disingenuious liar and pretty much the same of Al Gore.  I ecspecially have a problem with Gore who Jets around on private Jets, Drives in huge Limos and expects me to ride a friggin bike! But, I digress.
GW is not the man I though he was. But come on! He's not Pol Pot or Stalin. I think all politicians are the same, they will say whatever they need to to get elected and then do whatthey want when they get in office. He's no different and neither are his opponents.
I do think he screwed up Iraq and Afghanistan though.
Bottom line is we are a good country like any other, we have problems and we have our share of assholes starting in the Whitehouse. But a country is it's people and ours has more good than bad at this point. Only time will tell.
Sorry if I offended I surely didn't mean to. Sorry to ramble.

This came out right after 9/11.

Widespread but only partial news coverage was given recently [after the 9/11 terrorist attack on the WTC in New York --FvW] to a remarkable editorial broadcast from Toronto by Gordon Sinclair, a Canadian television commentator. What follows is the full text of his trenchant remarks as printed in the Congressional Record.
A step-by-step rebuttal of the following text can be found here: 

http://www.vanwensveen.nl/rants/usa/sinclair_rebuttal.html

:) :) :)

"This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the Americans as the most generous and possibly the least appreciated people on all the earth.

Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy were lifted out of the debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars and forgave other billions in debts. None of these countries is today paying even the interest on its remaining debts to the United States.

When France was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans who propped it up, and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the streets of Paris. I was there. I saw it.

When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the United States that hurries in to help. This spring, 59 American communities were flattened by tornadoes. Nobody helped.

The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped billions of dollars into discouraged countries. Now newspapers in those countries are writing about the decadent, warmongering Americans.

I'd like to see just one of those countries that is gloating over the erosion of the United States dollar build its own airplane. Does any other country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tri-Star, or the Douglas DC10? If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all the International lines except Russia fly American Planes?

Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or woman on the moon? You talk about Japanese technocracy, and you get radios. You talk about German technocracy, and you get automobiles. You talk about American technocracy, and you find men on the moon - not once, but several times and safely home again.

You talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs right in the store window for everybody to look at. Even their draft-dodgers are not pursued and hounded. They are here on our streets, and most of them, unless they are breaking Canadian laws, are getting American dollars from ma and pa at home to spend here.

When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through age, it was the Americans who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old caboose. Both are still broke.

I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other people in trouble. Can you name me even one time when someone else raced to the Americans in trouble? I don't think there was outside help even during the San Francisco earthquake.

Our neighbours have faced it alone, and I'm one Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them get kicked around. They will come out of this thing with their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating over their present troubles. I hope Canada is not one of those."

Stand proud, America!

This is a tough topic for me.  America has become the great scapegoat. The purpose of a scapegoat is to avoid taking any responsibility for what happens, or owning one's own shadow.   Sorry to wound the narcissism of some other nations or posters here, but the US is not perfect by a country mile, and never claimed to be - just like everywhere and everyone else.    We all need more courage to be real and less 'black and white' i.e. you're baddies, we're goodies etc..... that attitude really belongs in a playground, not on a global stage.   The Bush Admin has just made it popular in Europe to express that anti-American sentiment.

I recently heard a speaker on the BBC say “Anti american feeling is caused by western European liberals afraid of Islamic hate,  they are siding with those they fear.  The average European will say US Foreign Policy is the reason but that’s just bollocks because they do not fail to hold their hand out to Uncle and his Foreign Policy when they need cash or aid.”    Sorry if I offend anyone here but I tend to agree with that statement.  I have heard people interviewed in the street by the BBC in England, France and German…most expressed affection and great respect for Americans as individuals but no respect what so ever and then actually, some interesting misinformation about America in general.

Ignorance and arrogance is a human problem, not an American one.

"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2008, 09:59:32 pm »
A bit too much mafia and other criminals in the USA, Canada, etc. for good living!!

The USA has and can surely get back on its feet ??  !!

Right ??

Hugs! To all Amercicans, Canadien/nes, English, Francais, etc, persons of free will in the whole world!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2008, 09:55:07 pm »
I don't feel the least bit of a need to defend the culture of the United States against those who wish to trash it, whether the trashers are US citizens rancid on their own country, or anti-American foreigners some of whom have felt compelled to kick at the big boy on the block for the last 60 + years.

Gnats, buzz around and around to your heart's content.  ;D

The American record has been a record of exceptionalism, for both good and ill, since the founding. And it speaks for itself and doesn't need an apologia.