Author Topic: Jake Jake Jake!  (Read 3210247 times)

Offline iwishiknew

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • A man we see with our eyes and hear with our heart
Re: Jake Jake Jake!
« Reply #2850 on: May 11, 2007, 11:54:01 pm »
I've just added another Jake film to my collection - October Sky........
October Sky was the only other of Jake's films I'd seen before Brokeback Mountain. By looking at it now I personally feel one can see glimpses of the perfection that was to come later in Brokeback and Zodiac.

When young Homer is seen descending into the mine shaft in the elevator, looking at the last bit of sky (his sky!) he would see for hour and hours, Jake was showing early on what his facial expression and the look in his eyes would later accomplish with such mastery. That moment is heart-breaking. And no words needed - as in nearly every scene on BBM and so memorable in Zodiac in the basement and the hardware store scenes especially.

In Sasha1007's creative poster, this picture Robert Graysmith was already hinted at in that elevator scene in October Sky, IMO. I think every Gyllenhaalic would enjoy his sensitive performance. There may well have still been some Jake playing Jake there but, to me at least,  there was also one heck of a lot of young Homer Hickman. He was learning and learned his lesson well. At least I think so. Anyone else feel differently?

And lastly, it's fun for me at least in O.S. to see Chris Cooper as Homer's dad being so hard and insensitive toward him knowing that in reality Chris was one of the actors Jake said helped him the most. (Chris Cooper also played in Jarhead.... Have always wondered if Jake had a hand in that.)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 12:38:27 am by iwishiknew »

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #2851 on: May 20, 2007, 01:13:45 pm »
i had never seen October Sky until last Christmas..  My loving and adoring Husband got me the DVD..  He doesn't mind me indulging in my infatuation with my fav actor and sexy sex pot Jake ! 

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #2852 on: May 20, 2007, 04:36:25 pm »
I'm back from seeing Zodiac earlier today. I am a little less miffed now about the late premiere date here  since the film is in the main competition in Cannes (which I think is weird this long after it premiered in the USA, but what do I know?) - at least all us Europeans seem to be getting it at the same time.

Anyway - I certainly liked the film - a lot. It was gripping, intense, never let go. Riveting to the end even in the later stages when there sometimes were years between each scene.  I thought the film did a fantastic job of recreating the time and place and mood in many crowd scenes and the more intimate scenes as well. (Not that I was there, but it did have the feel of the first "Dirty Harry" movie.) The frequent darkness and pouring rain - all adding to the urgency and the spooky mood. And the costumes! God, people really did go dressed like that.

And to my utter relief, the violence was brief and not too explicit nor exploitative.

All the main character actors did great. (Didn't particularly envy Cloe Sevigny her role though; it seemed she was doing the same scene over and over).

And so much Jakey goodness to wallow in! I am a particular fan of intense, troubled, sad and even haunted Jake in movies (just as I'm an equal fan of those huge happy grins of his in RL) so this film nearly sent me over the edge! Seriously, I do think he did a wonderful job - restrained and nearly self-effacing in many scenes, projecting a believable mix of geeky bashfulness, general uncertainty and that desperate all-out "Zodiac" obsession.

:)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 10:49:12 am by Mikaela »

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #2853 on: May 21, 2007, 10:46:53 am »
hey Mikaela,

thanks for the review. I'm waiting to see Zodiac too. It will be released here in Belgium on June 6th. And the date has been postponed, because of the Cannes festival because the release date was originally this wednesday. Ah, well, a couple more weeks won't make much difference.

Let's hope it does well in Cannes.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #2854 on: May 21, 2007, 11:35:18 am »
Fingers crossed for Cannes.

I suspect it's perhaps too "mainstream" for that. But we'll see.

Whan you do see the film, watch out for the return of the blue parka! I could almost suspect that the Zodiac costume designer was particularly keen on recycling and had had a chat with the BBM wardrobe manager. It sure gets more than one airing during the Zodiac search. Or maybe the generic blue parka simply is the quintessential defining male piece of clothing for the early 70's?  ;D

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #2855 on: May 21, 2007, 12:51:05 pm »

Whan you do see the film, watch out for the return of the blue parka! I could almost suspect that the Zodiac costume designer was particularly keen on recycling and had had a chat with the BBM wardrobe manager. It sure gets more than one airing during the Zodiac search. Or maybe the generic blue parka simply is the quintessential defining male piece of clothing for the early 70's?  ;D

'the return of the blue parka'!!  :laugh: That sounds like a bad sequel to an even worse movie!

Jake doesn't have any sideburns in Zodiac, does he?  ;D
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2856 on: May 21, 2007, 01:11:23 pm »

'the return of the blue parka'!!  :laugh: That sounds like a bad sequel to an even worse movie!

Jake doesn't have any sideburns in Zodiac, does he?  ;D

Hey, Fabienne,

Here's a picture:  note the blue parka, and the not-so-big sideburns.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2857 on: May 21, 2007, 01:13:48 pm »
But Robert Downey, Jr. wears an ascot: 

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't