Author Topic: Jake Jake Jake!  (Read 3211047 times)

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
Re: Jake Jake Jake!
« Reply #3740 on: February 29, 2008, 03:46:12 pm »
Sorry,who was dense it's me,because I don't control English well enough as to make me understand... ??? I meant by being criticised if he demonstrated too grief that,obviously,he isn't like the other actors who had worked with Heath.Some paps have wanted to create a kind of BBM off screen between them-or at least,this is what I understand...-,the same than there have been some speculations about his private life and sexual orientation; so,some questions perhaps would have been too indiscreet for him,more than to the other persons.That's what I meant by "being criticised",or better said,he would have been-and as a matter of fact,he has been...-more in the public gossip eye-I don't know if you said it so...,sorry again :( -.
The other question,being with his friend in his funeral,that's is: why not? Why hasn't he been? At least,he hadn't been seen in Perth,had he?That's what I asked for,I didn't find strange that he went,but that he didn't go then nor in any public or private-as it seems-ceremonies for Heath's memory.Have I explained myself well enough this time?.

Ahhhhh I think I understand what you mean now. Your trying to say that if he showed too MUCH grief, then people might somehow misenterpret that in some way and make more out of their relationship than there was, ie more than just friendship? So he thinks that it,s best if he keeps quiet, because if he did say something and broke down in tears, it would be misenterpreted by the paparazi. Have I understood that right? And for the same reason, he didn,t go to the memorial service in LA or the funeral? If that is the case it,s very very sad, to think that because of the damn media, he couldn,t even go to his best friends funeral or say anything in public. How sad.  :(

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlin´
« Reply #3741 on: February 29, 2008, 03:57:26 pm »
Ahhhhh I think I understand what you mean now. Your trying to say that if he showed too MUCH grief, then people might somehow misenterpret that in some way and make more out of their relationship than there was, ie more than just friendship? So he thinks that it,s best if he keeps quiet, because if he did say something and broke down in tears, it would be misenterpreted by the paparazi. Have I understood that right? And for the same reason, he didn,t go to the memorial service in LA or the funeral? If that is the case it,s very very sad, to think that because of the damn media, he couldn,t even go to his best friends funeral or say anything in public. How sad.  :(

Well,you've understood what I mean,but now who doesn't understand it's me... ;D One thing is not making public demonstrations of grieving-moreover,he needn't to make this,since grieving is a private feeling...- to avoid gossip,that what I understand and share.But another very different thing is not attending a funeral or another ceremony when your close friend is gone...To hell with media¡ As I said before,is more important to protect his intimacy and avoid being "attacked" by a bunch of paps willing to know,or invent,stupidities; or be in such an important moment by Heath's family side?.If the answer is the first part-let´s hope that it isn't...-it's why I begin to feel "unpleasantly surprised" by Jake's behaviour.
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are life´s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #3742 on: February 29, 2008, 03:58:48 pm »
While it is disappointing, of course, to Brokeback fans particularly, that Jake made no statement, if we look at it in the context of Heath's death, his lack of a statement is neither peculiar nor ominous; nor do the number of other statements made by other actors, directors, producers - have any reflection on Jake's decision to not make a statement.

All Jake has done was not divulge to the media his reaction to Heath's death.  We don't know what expressions of sympathy (or of grief) he made privately, or to the family.  We aren't told what he felt about the events.  However, what we can say without a doubt is that media attention has been on Jake and Heath ever since they were cast in "Brokeback", they went on endless press junkets, were photographed hundreds of thousands of times together, and long after the film was out of theaters their subsequent roles and film projects were overshadowed to the point where major press events about their new films came out and interviewers still focused on what it was like for them to film the kissing scene, and how they feel about being gay icons, etc. etc.  I think that considering this industry - and public - fascination with Jake's sexuality (which was there before he took the role of Jack) and the way Brokeback loomed over his subsequent career, it is no surprise he doesn't want to talk about it anymore.  He has no obligation to.  Nor is it any surprise that he would not want to state his feelings publically.

If you look at the statement issued through Michelle's publicist, the message was a plea for privacy and to be left alone by the press.   She did not give an interview and did not talk to a reporter.  Kim Ledger's statements to reporters were mostly to avert a mob scene at his funeral, and unavoidable. The set of "Brothers" put on extra security to keep photographers and reporters away from Jake.  He went into virtual seclusion for weeks.  He doesn't want to talk about Heath, and has not wanted to be confronted by reporters and photographers.

I find myself wondering just how tough it is for someone to live and work as these actors do, stalked and photographed when they step out for a coffee or a sandwich, not wanting to make statements as they go about their daily lives, trying to maintain some sense of privacy and normalcy in the course of shooting films.  It must be maddening to them.  My personal opinion, having thought about this a lot - is that Jake's decision to avoid reporters and not make a statement was in order to damp down the hysterical frenzy surrounding Heath's death, and to stay out of it so he could finish his film and move on with his career.

Also, I believe one report did place Jake at one of the L.A. events.

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlin´
« Reply #3743 on: February 29, 2008, 04:26:58 pm »
While it is disappointing, of course, to Brokeback fans particularly, that Jake made no statement, if we look at it in the context of Heath's death, his lack of a statement is neither peculiar nor ominous; nor do the number of other statements made by other actors, directors, producers - have any reflection on Jake's decision to not make a statement.

All Jake has done was not divulge to the media his reaction to Heath's death.  We don't know what expressions of sympathy (or of grief) he made privately, or to the family.  We aren't told what he felt about the events.  However, what we can say without a doubt is that media attention has been on Jake and Heath ever since they were cast in "Brokeback", they went on endless press junkets, were photographed hundreds of thousands of times together, and long after the film was out of theaters their subsequent roles and film projects were overshadowed to the point where major press events about their new films came out and interviewers still focused on what it was like for them to film the kissing scene, and how they feel about being gay icons, etc. etc.  I think that considering this industry - and public - fascination with Jake's sexuality (which was there before he took the role of Jack) and the way Brokeback loomed over his subsequent career, it is no surprise he doesn't want to talk about it anymore.  He has no obligation to.  Nor is it any surprise that he would not want to state his feelings publically.[/b)

If you look at the statement issued through Michelle's publicist, the message was a plea for privacy and to be left alone by the press.   She did not give an interview and did not talk to a reporter.  Kim Ledger's statements to reporters were mostly to avert a mob scene at his funeral, and unavoidable. The set of "Brothers" put on extra security to keep photographers and reporters away from Jake.  He went into virtual seclusion for weeks.  He doesn't want to talk about Heath, and has not wanted to be confronted by reporters and photographers.

I find myself wondering just how tough it is for someone to live and work as these actors do, stalked and photographed when they step out for a coffee or a sandwich, not wanting to make statements as they go about their daily lives, trying to maintain some sense of privacy and normalcy in the course of shooting films.  It must be maddening to them.  My personal opinion, having thought about this a lot - is that Jake's decision to avoid reporters and not make a statement was in order to damp down the hysterical frenzy surrounding Heath's death, and to stay out of it so he could finish his film and move on with his career.

Also, I believe one report did place Jake at one of the L.A. events.

Yes,that's what I meant by "being criticised" by showing his feelings(that I've never said that he should show in public,all the contrary...).And that's why I said that " he was not like any other actor who had worked with Heath".However,I'm in a state of half-dissapointment,and I wouldn't like to...
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are life´s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3744 on: February 29, 2008, 04:35:27 pm »
To me there's a big difference in motivation, implication and appropriateness when thinking about "displays of personal grief" and a formal eulogy.  I think the gesture of offering a statement (even through a publicist) comes across as a eulogy, which is really supposed to be about honoring the person who's passed away.  A display of grief would be about Jake (and would be intrusive and even callous on the part of the media).  Jake offering a eulogy would be all about Heath and honoring his memory/importance, etc. I think the eulogy is what we've all been hoping for... and maybe it is almost too late for that sort of gesture.

The factor here of not knowing, and of feeling disconnected from the surviving co-star of BBM is what's frustrating here.  Of course Jake doesn't owe fans anything and should be required to do anything in terms of this issue... but it would be nice if he, on his own, felt moved to make a gesture.  Again, he simply must be aware of the devastation within the Brokie fan base.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

yb

« Reply #3745 on: February 29, 2008, 08:08:09 pm »
To me there's a big difference in motivation, implication and appropriateness when thinking about "displays of personal grief" and a formal eulogy.  I think the gesture of offering a statement (even through a publicist) comes across as a eulogy, which is really supposed to be about honoring the person who's passed away.  A display of grief would be about Jake (and would be intrusive and even callous on the part of the media).  Jake offering a eulogy would be all about Heath and honoring his memory/importance, etc. I think the eulogy is what we've all been hoping for... and maybe it is almost too late for that sort of gesture.

The factor here of not knowing, and of feeling disconnected from the surviving co-star of BBM is what's frustrating here.  Of course Jake doesn't owe fans anything and should be required to do anything in terms of this issue... but it would be nice if he, on his own, felt moved to make a gesture.  Again, he simply must be aware of the devastation within the Brokie fan base.

I agree with every word you said here, especially the bold part. 

From what I read, I don't think anybody from the bbm fanbase wanted anything more than a simple statement like an eulogy from Jake; and it's too late even for that now. 

Offline optom3

« Reply #3746 on: February 29, 2008, 09:27:01 pm »
Great minds think alike Amanda.  ;D

And alike again.
my oldest dearest friend is now several thouand miles away and has been for 2 years,We phone and email and webcam,but have not physically seen each other in such a long time.What I want from friendship is conversation,someone to talk too and listen too.I can still do that,The hugs ,well thats just a small scrifice.

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3747 on: March 01, 2008, 11:01:03 am »
New Jake and Reese pics on iheartjake.com  ;)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3748 on: March 01, 2008, 10:31:38 pm »
Excellent points, Louise and Amanda, both.  I'm torn, because of course I would have liked to have heard/read about some sort of eulogy from Jake.  But I also feel very strongly that he owes us, the fans, nothing, and owes even less to the miserable paparazzi and reporters on this issue or anything else going on in his personal life.  I think you're exactly right, Louise, about why he's kept it to himself in terms of a public acknowledgement.  But I understand where Amanda's coming from, too.

Anyway, after careful consideration, I'd like to retract my answer to Elle in chat last night (Important Safety Tip:  Don't Drink and Chat), and replace it with a resounding "Yes."  (Albeit it not quite in the batshit crazy way I used to feel about him.)

No more beans!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3749 on: March 04, 2008, 08:20:56 pm »
Heya,

E!News just did a quick "sightings" segment about Jake and Reese being spotted "all over" NYC the last few days... while wondering why they haven't declared themselves an "official" couple yet.  I find the concept of an "official couple" so odd.   Anyway, just thought I'd report this here.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie