Author Topic: Jake Jake Jake!  (Read 3212360 times)

Offline NavyVet

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Harm/Tony - My fav rare pair
Re: Jake Jake Jake!
« Reply #4210 on: August 12, 2008, 04:14:36 pm »
I finally saw the film, Donnie Darko.

??? ???

I think I'm in the group of people that -  just - don't - get it.

Would love to hear explanations as to why this was apparently a cult hit.
 :-\
NavyVet
"Brokeback Mountain:  Where slash is canon!"

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #4211 on: August 12, 2008, 06:28:06 pm »
Maybe, but he's gotta match the cartoon:

Hmmm... But he doesn't match the cartoon.... He hasn't got the same beard at all. So clearly they can and should modify the look sufficiently to something that fits the actor, while still resembling the cartoon....?

In any case, I think the hair looks quite dreadful, in all the pics taken at this occasion. Combined with the weird primitive-looking boots/leggins, and the general bulked-up bod, it gives me very distinct "caveman" vibes (which isn't *all* bad...  ;) ) If it wasn't for the belt buckles and metal necklace I'd think he had stepped right out of prehistory and was acting in 10,000 years BC - the sequel.   ???

In which time and era is PoP set, exactly? Or is it some non-identified Fantasy-type timeline we're talking?

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #4212 on: August 12, 2008, 06:59:25 pm »
I finally saw the film, Donnie Darko.

??? ???

I think I'm in the group of people that -  just - don't - get it.

Would love to hear explanations as to why this was apparently a cult hit.
 :-\

There are entire websites devoted to "Donnie Darko" and its meaning.  Which version did you watch?  The director's cut or the theatrical release?  Just to drop a big hint, the director says it's a religious savior story.

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #4213 on: August 12, 2008, 07:57:22 pm »
Re: Donnie Darko

The following linked Salon.com article claims to be the Cliffs Notes of DD and the "definitive guide to the mystifying plot of "Donnie Darko."  I enjoyed reading it back when I first discovered (and fell in love with) DD:

http://dir.salon.com/story/ent/movies/feature/2004/07/23/darko/index.html

Re: PoP

Concerning my question about time era for PoP, I saw on another site that it's supposed to be 6th century-ish. 

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4214 on: August 12, 2008, 08:06:25 pm »

This pic made it on to E!News tonight... along with some good natured ribbing about his appearance here.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4215 on: August 12, 2008, 08:19:07 pm »
He looks really good in that picture, though. He's gonna make a hot Prince of Persia! :P :P Btw, like some y'all said, half of his hair probably is hair extensions while his real hair probably grew a little.

Plus, I find it cute that he and Reese are holding hands like that.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #4216 on: August 12, 2008, 08:23:27 pm »
Re: PoP

Concerning my question about time era for PoP, I saw on another site that it's supposed to be 6th century-ish. 

I doubt they're concerned about historical accuracy in PoP.  It's like a Conan movie - dark ages, but ancient and no real place in time.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #4217 on: August 12, 2008, 08:48:30 pm »
I think his hair looks fairly authentic for what hair styles in 6th century probably looked like.

After all, they probably didnt really wash it that much, and it would just fall where it fell to dry.

It will be interesting to see a pic of Jake out of costume, while he is filming, to see how it looks after a good shampoo and blow dry.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4218 on: August 12, 2008, 09:01:28 pm »

Well, this recent PoP pic with Reese reminded me of this pic that MilAn posted a while ago.  In Milan's pic his hair looks real and natural to me (he looks sort of like a surfer boy to me here).  But, in the PoP pic w/ costume his hair looks like a hair helmet to me.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #4219 on: August 13, 2008, 02:41:01 am »
I doubt they're concerned about historical accuracy in PoP.  It's like a Conan movie - dark ages, but ancient and no real place in time.

Yes, I know - the plot as far as the two lines I've read doesn't read like gruelling realism to me.  ;D But still, since it's set in Persia and not a completely invented place, I figured they might be going for some sort of "fantastical realism".

from Katie
I think his hair looks fairly authentic for what hair styles in 6th century probably looked like.

After all, they probably didnt really wash it that much, and it would just fall where it fell to dry.

Sure enough, but a film like this hinges very much on the star being deemed attractive from top to toe.... and this film with its fantasy elements doesn't have to shoot for realism.

And authenticity tends to fall rapidly by the wayside in historical movies in any case - I recently read an article going on about how gorgeous everyone looks in "The other Boleyn Girl" and "The Tudors" and how in real life, they'd not have been anywhere near as hot - what with the sanitary and general health situation, even for the nobility, in the day of Henry the 8th.

It's always been my belief that movies about the Vikings nearly never do well because actors have to look so, well, hirsute in them - thus reducing their appeal.