Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3795035 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #4340 on: February 25, 2008, 07:21:34 am »
I read that the artist is going to give this portrait to Heath's mom after the contest.

Oh, that's nice to hear.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4341 on: February 25, 2008, 07:26:16 am »
It's Oscar night.  :-\

I'll not be watching - out of principle, sure, but this year mainly because no TV channels here are airing live... and even if they were, it's an all-nighter that I can't afford since tomorrow is my first day at work after some time away due to illness.

So please you guys who are watching, could you please post about anything Heath-related (inclusive of links to the In Memoriam sequence and other relevant clips if you find any?) I'll be gratefully all over it come tomorrow.

Thank you and have a good night in front of the TV, those of you who watch the show.

I don't know if they'll post anything on YouTube or not. They showed an "In Memoriam" sequence that started with the dates, "February 1, 2007-January 31, 2008." It seems that he dates might have been selected to be sure to include Heath.

They showed all the folks who died during the year and the best I could tell, recalling from the news, they were presented chronologically. For alot of people they showed two clips (ie, for one director [name escapes me right now], they showed "Marty" and "A Touch of Mink"). I do think that for many of the actors and actresses they did show a clip from just one movie. Deborah Kerr, for example, they showed the "in the surf" scene from "Here to Eternity" but nothing from "The King and I."

Heath was the very last and they showed two pictures from the scene at the beginning, outside Aguirre's trailer.

The music was unremarkable. Not BBM music.

Someone commented that Brad Renfro wasn't included, but he was not a member of AMPAS and I think only Academy members were shown in the film.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #4342 on: February 25, 2008, 10:46:36 am »
Thanks for recapping, Leslie.  :) It's safe to say that I think the Academy remain a big bunch of morons, and that they showed absolutely no class in this "in memoriam" segment where Heath is concerned. I don't understand their choice of clip(s) at all - and they should have had more. What they did include to me seems the equivalent of a shrug.

I haven't even bothered searching it out on YouTube, and I'm not going to, though I guess it must be there. I don't need more aggravation from the AMPAS in my life.

yb

« Reply #4343 on: February 25, 2008, 11:03:42 am »
Thanks for recapping, Leslie.  :) It's safe to say that I think the Academy remain a big bunch of morons, and that they showed absolutely no class in this "in memoriam" segment where Heath is concerned. I don't understand their choice of clip(s) at all - and they should have had more. What they did include to me seems the equivalent of a shrug.

I may be totally out of line to make this speculation.  Regarding the choice of Heath's clips, perhaps it's because Ennis was still straight at that point in the film? 

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #4344 on: February 25, 2008, 12:10:32 pm »
I may be totally out of line to make this speculation.  Regarding the choice of Heath's clips, perhaps it's because Ennis was still straight at that point in the film? 

You know, I'm imagining it went more like this:

Scene: AMPAS persons, compiling "In memorian clips"

A: OK, then we've only got Heath Ledger and we're good.
B: Yes. Guess there's no way we can avoid using a clip from Brokeback...?
A: No, that's the one he was nominated for and the film got some awards here and there, too, so...guess not.
B: Well, you able to suggest a clip? Have you seen it?
A: No, of course I haven't. Uhm... have you?
B: Nope. Wouldn't be seen dead watching gay cowboys. What do you take me for?
A: Well...then there's no way around it. We'll have to sit down with the film to find a clip that isn't - you know - gross.

They pop the film in the player and start watching. 10 seconds into the film:

B: Hey stop it right there! That's him, isn't it?
A: I think so. Not easy to see the way he's hiding his face, it's at a distance and all, but...yes. I think it is.
B: Well, that's great! Good shot, wouldn't you say? Probably the best there is in the whole film, I bet. Let's use that one, then.
A: Thank God. Great. I was afraid we would have to watch guys kissing and what not... Anyway, we're good.
B: We sure are. What a relief. Problem solved, case closed, and no need to focus another second on Brokeback Mountain. 
Both: *whew*

::)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4345 on: February 25, 2008, 01:08:21 pm »
Posting this pic on request:

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4346 on: February 25, 2008, 05:40:30 pm »
For those who want to see it: the In Memoriam section of the Academy Awards. I crossposted this on the News thread in the Heath Forum.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3YN-MmPTu8[/youtube]

Most of them were old. Not that I begrudge anyone their years, I really don't. As far as I'm concerned, everybody should live to a hundred. But damn, Heath was ("was" - still an awful word in the same sentence as Heath' name) so young. It's not fair. And it still hurts.

:'( :'( :'(

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4347 on: February 25, 2008, 05:58:12 pm »
Watching that again (I saw it on TV last night) I still think Heath got short changed compared to some/most of the other actors...and I correct myself, Deborah Kerr did have two scenes from two movies, but the second one wasn't The King and I.

Oh well, I said it before, why do I expect anything but the minimum from the Academy? If I don't expect anything, I won't be disappointed.

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4348 on: February 25, 2008, 06:04:48 pm »
Has this been posted already? I was reading it in USA Today in the hotel this morning....this version is from Entertainment News.

Heath Ledger was honoured by winners at the Film Independent Spirit Awards yesterday.

Todd Hayes, who directed Ledger in ‘I’m Not There’ paid tribute to the late actor as he picked up the inaugural Robert Altman Award for director and ensemble cast.

He said, “We all loved him so dearly. He really was unlike anybody I've ever known, giving up of himself less like an actor than a creative partner."

Hayes said Ledger was planning to move into directing himself before his accidental death last month.

He explained, “He had just started circulating a feature script that he was planning to direct - an adaptation of The Queen's Gambit by Walter Tevis.

"I have no doubt he would have made an astounding director. I treasure the time we shared on this film and the love and talent that he gave so freely."

Earlier at the ceremony in Santa Monica, California, Cate Blanchett also paid tribute to her friend and I’m Not There co-star when she picked up her Best Supporting Actress award, saying Ledger was "probably one of the most beautiful independent spirits of all".

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4349 on: February 25, 2008, 06:06:23 pm »
Watching that again (I saw it on TV last night) I still think Heath got short changed compared to some/most of the other actors...and I correct myself, Deborah Kerr did have two scenes from two movies, but the second one wasn't The King and I.

Oh well, I said it before, why do I expect anything but the minimum from the Academy? If I don't expect anything, I won't be disappointed.

L

The Academy passed Brokeback Mountain like a kidney stone.  I feel they did the same with Heath.

I think the Independent Spirit Awards should be the new Gay Superbowl.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40