Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3804326 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #6900 on: December 12, 2008, 02:08:26 am »
Good morning Heathens :)

Golden Globe Awards 2006

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #6901 on: December 12, 2008, 02:44:19 am »
It was so nice to see all the reporting on this nomination today.  I'll admit that it certainly brought a tear to my eye.  What a tragically bittersweet thing this award season will be.

I'll also say, that I quite like the Golden Globes.  I think the range of categories and blend of movies and TV are interesting.  And, the Globes did right by our BBM at least in major categories like Best Picture and Director.

No matter what happens with the Oscars, I'll still be very bitter about the Oscars.  To a certain extent, I still feel that any nod the Oscars give to The Dark Knight is some kind of gesture making up for the BBM diss.

And, in each case (Globes and Oscars) I still think Heath really should have won for Ennis and not the Joker.
  Since Heath isn't here to enjoy these awards it also makes it hard to know how to interpret these awards (assuming that he'll win).  Who will accept for him on stage?
 :'(

I wholeheartedly agree Amanda. It really bothers me that Heath might win for portraying such a nihilistic, empty character. I guess I'm still not over the fact that the awards people just didn't see or appreciate what an amazing acting tour-de-force his Ennis really was.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #6902 on: December 12, 2008, 05:34:55 am »

The year's biggest hit, the Batman blockbuster, "The Dark Knight," came in with strong awards buzz across the board but had only one nomination, supporting actor for Heath Ledger as the Joker.

"Heath was a friend of mine," said actor Terrence Howard, a presenter at the nominations ceremony. "He gave his all in that film. I think he will win in that category. He'll also get an Oscar."

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Fk6IRGtLE[/youtube]

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #6903 on: December 12, 2008, 09:52:10 am »
I can't help but think how ironic it is that Heath will still be pitted against Phillip Seymour Hoffmann for the Golden Globe and probably the Oscar.  I hope he whups him this time.  :)

I thought exactly the same thing, Meryl.  Except the whupping part. ;)

Two very fine and deserving actors. 

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #6904 on: December 12, 2008, 01:15:50 pm »
No matter what happens with the Oscars, I'll still be very bitter about the Oscars.  To a certain extent, I still feel that any nod the Oscars give to The Dark Knight is some kind of gesture making up for the BBM diss.

And, in each case (Globes and Oscars) I still think Heath really should have won for Ennis and not the Joker.  Since Heath isn't here to enjoy these awards it also makes it hard to know how to interpret these awards (assuming that he'll win).  Who will accept for him on stage?

I'm never going to feel the same about the Oscars either; and if Heath wins an Oscar this time, I'll certainly be happy about it but will also be thinking "yeah, you appreciate his talent -- now."

But I'm more pissed at his not getting Best Actor for Ennis than about his getting the recognition for the Joker character. I was impressed with the movie overall, which I know isn't altogether a popular reaction. Never would have thought an 'action' movie based on a comic book would get that much crossover, and IMO Heath was the #1 reason.

I'd love to imagine Michelle accepting the award, but then again that might be so painful for her.....  :(

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #6905 on: December 12, 2008, 01:35:13 pm »
Do you think it's likely Heath's father Kim would accept any awards?

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #6906 on: December 12, 2008, 05:06:36 pm »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Fk6IRGtLE[/youtube]

That's a heartbreaker, but much appreciated.  Thanks, Elle.  :-*

Do you think it's likely Heath's father Kim would accept any awards?

He has already.  I think he's very much interested in being there for Heath as long as he's granted the opportunity.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #6907 on: December 12, 2008, 05:17:21 pm »
That's a heartbreaker, but much appreciated.  Thanks, Elle.  :-*

I watched the video this morning and didn't know what to say. Meryl said it for me.
So thanks to Elle and Meryl :-*

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #6908 on: December 12, 2008, 08:26:03 pm »

I watched the video this morning and didn't know what to say. Meryl said it for me.
So thanks to Elle and Meryl :-*

Thanks Merly and Chrissi, I agree.  You would not believe how many videos there were on YouTube to choose from that had Willie Nelson singing that, with pictures of Heath.  Astounding.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6909 on: December 12, 2008, 10:00:46 pm »
Thanks to all of you, for so eloquently expressing much of what I feel.