Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2587909 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"M" is A Man From Wyoming
« Reply #2680 on: January 26, 2008, 01:11:06 am »
I just have to snap out of it, I'm emotionally drained.

And what's the first movie I see on IMDb?  A Man From Wyoming (Ouch!)
Anyway, according to an IMDb commentor, it's a good wartime romantic tale but nothing special.  Stars Gary Cooper.

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
"N" is Night Ride
« Reply #2681 on: January 26, 2008, 01:27:10 am »
From IMDb

'Night Ride' is interesting as one of Edward G Robinson's first gangster roles. He's doing all the things here that he would later do much more notably in 'Little Caesar' and 'Key Largo'. Yet, in this film he's easily out-acted by handsome Joseph Schildkraut in the lead role. Schildkraut and Robinson were both European immigrants; it's intriguing to see them here, both very convincing as firmly American types: one good (and WASP), the other bad (and ethnic).

Synopsis:  Just after newsman Rooker and Ruth Kearns are married he covers a double murder during a bank robbery. Cigarettes at the scene implicate gangster Tony Garotta. Garotta kidnaps Rooker and another reporter, intending to kill them.

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline oilgun

Re: ABCs at the Movies: 1930
« Reply #2682 on: January 26, 2008, 09:43:13 am »
Fantastic poster for Night Ride!

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: ABCs at the Movies: 1930
« Reply #2683 on: January 26, 2008, 10:27:29 am »
That pic of photo from of the Chinese theatre for Hell's Angels, it seems that there are yellow spot litghts for/as airplanes on the road, or are they something else?

How did they do that?

Hugs!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: ABCs at the Movies: The Heath Ledger Round
« Reply #2684 on: February 07, 2008, 09:55:21 am »
Morning everyone,

I am ready to get this game back on track...but somehow, Round 1930 just seems sort of dull at this moment. So, instead of finishing that up, let's just start fresh with...

The Heath Ledger Round!

I think we've played most of Heath's movies, so this will be a "six degrees of separation" round. Play a movie that has some sort of connection to a movie Heath was in. For example, you could play a movie that takes place in Venice and say, "This movie takes place in Venice, and "Casanova," starring Heath, was also filmed in Venice." Or, "This movie stars X, and X also starred with Heath in _______." Let's be creative with the connections we come up with! How creative? The sky's the limit if you ask me...

Edit to add: I just went through the archive and it appears there are a few Heath movies that haven't been played, so it would be fine to play those in this round.

Make sense?

All the usual rules are in place. Any movie from 1930-2007 can be played. Please include the date (in parens) after the title of the movie. Unplayed movies only, please. (Check the archive.) Wildcard X rule is in place.

Let me know if you have questions. Have fun!

Leslie
GameMistress
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Ellemeno

"A" is The Aviator (2004)
« Reply #2685 on: February 07, 2008, 09:59:29 am »
Though they never appear in a scene together, fellow Australian Cate Blanchett starred in I'm Not There with Heath, as well as the 2004 film The Aviator.

(note image of Heath in I'm Not There poster)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"B" is Barenaked in America (1999)
« Reply #2686 on: February 07, 2008, 10:18:27 am »
Pierre Tremblay was the Executive Producer of this film; Pierre was also the First Assistant Director of Brokeback Mountain, starring Heath.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
'C' is Candy (2006)
« Reply #2687 on: February 07, 2008, 10:31:01 am »
Abby Cornish, Heath's co star from Candy, who also starred in Elisabeth, The Golden Age, in which Cate Blanchett was the star.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 12:43:12 pm by MaineWriter »
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Ellemeno

"D" is The Departed (2006)
« Reply #2688 on: February 07, 2008, 11:29:20 am »
Matt Damon, who played Heath's brother in The Brothers Grimm, also starred in The Departed.

Offline oilgun

"E" is Enigma (2001)
« Reply #2689 on: February 07, 2008, 11:50:48 am »
Although uncredited, Mick Jagger was in the film Enigma.  He also starred as Ned Kelly in the 1970 film of the same name, a character that Heath also later portrayed.

Is that TOO creative, lol!

Great round, unfortunately I won't be able to contribute any more since I'm at work  :'(