Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2588112 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Wildcard "X" is How to Vote (1936)
« Reply #4950 on: September 09, 2008, 09:02:19 am »
IMDb:  Whether or not you are registered to vote in the 8th Election District I think you might want to tune in to this stirring campaign address, as you'll surely learn a lot about the Grounds Water Dam project so crucial to the forthcoming election. Unfortunately Mr. Murney couldn't attend in person, but he's sent his close personal assistant Robert Benchley to explain it all for you. (Maybe it's just as well for him that Murney's too ill to see this.) Happily, Mr. Benchley has brought along a list of figures and an illustrated chart to help make things less clear-- which he does with spectacular success, I might add.

Fans of Benchley's nonsense lectures will love this little entry, as HOW TO VOTE presents the great humorist at the peak of his powers. From the moment he steps up to address the audience he is stumbling over his words, launching into a joke he never finishes and questioning whether "our" candidate will actually win the election. His chart, a confused map of Odney County where the proposed fake dam will be built (the real one, we're told, will be hidden under some bushes) is a riot of nonsensical notations, pointless digressions, and helpful labels such as Proposed Post Office, Mens' Locker Room, Place to Leave Bicycles, and Possible Indians. Oh, and there's that captive balloon he was telling you about!

This is a great little comedy for Election time or any other time, and it makes as much sense as any campaign speech you'll ever hear, only faster.

Robert Benchley

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"Y" is Yeshwant (1997)
« Reply #4951 on: September 09, 2008, 10:42:18 am »
Keyword:  Corrupt politician

From Yahoo! Movies:  Nana Patekar gives a strong, fiery performance as Inspector Yeshwant, a hardworking police officer with a beautiful and loving wife, Ragini (Madhoo). In the course of a routine investigation, Yeshwant stumbles onto evidence linking his corrupt boss Chopra (Mohan Joshi) to the very drug deals he's supposed to be preventing, and soon finds himself framed for a crime he didn't commit. While he's imprisoned, Ragini takes a job with the police in order to clear her husband's name; but her reliance on an old friend, Atul (Atul Agnilhotri), gives Chopra the opportunity to turn her jailed husband against her. Excellent performances and sharp dialogue distinguish this action-packed drama from director Anil Mattoo.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"Z" is Zapata en Chinameca (1987)
« Reply #4952 on: September 10, 2008, 12:10:28 pm »
Since nobody wants the Z.

I have no info on this film but it's about Emiliano Zapata who was a Mexican revolutionary so political intrigue must be involved.  Also, Mexican actor Marìa Rojo is in it and I really like her, she was great in Danzón.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Re: ABCs at the Movies: The Politicians Round!
« Reply #4953 on: September 10, 2008, 12:40:53 pm »
Hey Gil,

Since you're so good at Qs and Zs, howdya like to announce the next round?

Offline oilgun

Re: ABCs at the Movies: The Celluloid Hotties Round!
« Reply #4954 on: September 10, 2008, 02:14:13 pm »
OK, you asked for it!!

I think it's time for another round of:

Celluloid Hotties!

Any unplayed movies featuring your
favourite male or female fantasy lovers
. .

Wildcard X in effect, but how do people feel about making the letter Z a wildcard as well?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 03:36:12 pm by southendmd »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"A" is Abandon (2002)
« Reply #4955 on: September 10, 2008, 03:38:40 pm »
Triple Hotties in this one:

Charlie Hunnam

Benjamin Bratt

Mark Feuerstein

Plot:  A senior at an elite college, already under severe pressure to complete her thesis and land a prestigious job, must confront the sudden reappearance of her old boyfriend, after his two year, unexplained absence...

=aside= Gil
Excellent topic!

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #4956 on: September 10, 2008, 03:46:39 pm »
How does this game work, what does unplayed movies mean?  Is there a list of movies that have already been used?  Thanks, J
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #4957 on: September 10, 2008, 03:49:15 pm »
How does this game work, what does unplayed movies mean?  Is there a list of movies that have already been used?  Thanks, J

Juan, check the archives here: 

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,13784.0/all.html

See Leslie's first post in this thread for general rules.  We're doing theme rounds now, not chronological.  And have fun with us!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #4958 on: September 10, 2008, 04:24:12 pm »
Juan, check the archives here: 

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,13784.0/all.html

See Leslie's first post in this thread for general rules.  We're doing theme rounds now, not chronological.  And have fun with us!

I prefer the NEW ARCHIVE to check if a movie has already been played because the titles are listed by year:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,18198.0.html

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4959 on: September 10, 2008, 04:27:45 pm »

Hi Juan.

As Gil just posted, it is much easier to search in the New Archive.  The other archive is essentially the history of the game. 

Rather than search through a lot of pages, in the New Archive you can just look under a specific year.  For example, page 1 has movies from 2013 to 2004, page 2 from 2003 to 1994, etc.

Since release dates vary on different movie sites especially in regard to foreign films, we go by the date listed at www.imdb.

If you have any specific questions, just PM one of the players.  Feel free to reserve a letter while you search.  For example, if you wanted to play "D", you could just type "D" is.... in the subject line of your post and then type anything in the message body and then go to IMDb to look for a movie.  Hope you'll join us.