Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2587140 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"B" is Burn After Reading (2008)
« Reply #4960 on: September 10, 2008, 04:30:26 pm »
Starring Brad Pitt... oh, and George Clooney.

Brad Pitt

From IMDb:  A disk containing the memoirs of a CIA agent ends up in the hands of two unscrupulous gym employees who attempt to sell it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 10:29:07 am by Fran »

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
"C" is Closer (2004)
« Reply #4961 on: September 10, 2008, 05:10:42 pm »
OK, how about....Closer starring Jude Law and Clive Owen?  Mr. Pretty and Mr. Anti-Pretty....
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 05:53:22 pm by southendmd »
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"D" is Dans Paris (2006)
« Reply #4962 on: September 10, 2008, 05:19:11 pm »
Featuring:  Romain Duris and Louis Garrel :-*

Synopsis  Paul, depressed from his recent break-up with Anna, returns home to Paris to live with his divorced father and womanizing, slacking younger brother, Jonathan. With little success, his carefree sibling and doting father try to cheer him up with women, wine, and home-cooked meals. When, in the midnight hour, Paul is forced to entertain one of his brother's desperate girlfriends, he begins to realize that while things never go according to plan, family and the pursuit of love are always worth the fight.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 10:54:57 am by oilgun »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"E" is Entropy (1999)
« Reply #4963 on: September 10, 2008, 05:53:50 pm »
Plot:  Stephen Dorff narrates this tale about how his life goes astray as his character attempts to strike a balance between the demands of directing his first film and the pressures of his new romance with a model. U2's Bono plays a role in this film as both himself and Dorff's character's concience.

Hottie Stephen Dorff

=aside= Juan
Not bad for a beginner!  Jude and Clive?  Hard to choose....
(I just added the "C" is Closer (2004) to the subject line)
Welcome to a very addictive game!

Offline Fran

"F" is The Fountain (2006)
« Reply #4964 on: September 11, 2008, 10:10:14 am »

From IMDb: 

I was fortunate to see this at the Toronto Film Festival. While I have not seen "Requiem for a Dream" or "Pi," I was fascinated by this film after hearing about the reaction in Venice. This is one of the most thought provoking & evocative movies I have ever seen. I think it is a movie that people will either love or hate, there doesn't appear to be a middle ground.

While introducing the film, in Toronto, Rachel Weisz commented that Aronofsky asks a lot from his actors, this appears to be true and most certainly pays off. Hugh Jackman's gut-wrenching and emotional performance is phenomenal. This is undoubtedly his best performance and, as far as I'm concerned, you can hand him the Oscar. It is superbly written, acted and directed. Mansel's score is beautiful. Be open to this movie and receive it. There aren't enough superlatives to do justice to this film. I can't wait to see it again. Brilliant!

Hugh Jackman

Offline oilgun

"G" is Grande école (2004)
« Reply #4965 on: September 11, 2008, 11:12:05 am »
Celluloid Hottie:   Salim Kechiouche

Plot: Paul and Agnes have been going out for quite a while and Agnes is shocked to learn that he'd rather live with two roommates on campus than move in with her. As soon as he meets one of his roommates, Louis-Anault, Paul's behavior changes - he is attracted to Louis without realizing so himself. Agnes, on the other hand, gets quite jealous and offers a bet: Whoever gets to have Louis-Anault first, wins... If she does, Paul will no longer explore his homosexual desires, if he does - she'll walk away. Meanwhile, Paul meets Mecir, a young Arab worker, who shows him there's more to life than elite colleges...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"H" is A Handful of Dust (1988)
« Reply #4966 on: September 11, 2008, 12:32:31 pm »

Plot:  The wife's affair and a death in the family hasten the demise of an upper-class English marriage.

Hottie Rupert Graves

Offline Fran

"I" is I'm with Lucy (2002)
« Reply #4967 on: September 11, 2008, 12:38:52 pm »

From IMDb:  It's an hour before Lucy's wedding and her best friend wants to hear all about what led up to that moment. So, Lucy tells about the five men she had blind dates with over the past year (Doug, Gabriel, Bobby, Barry, and Luke) and her experiences with each one. As each date is told at the same time as the other four, the many ups and downs of new relationships are shown. So, while some dates start off terribly, but end well others are just the opposite. But which one of the five men is Lucy about to walk down the aisle with?

I know who I'd pick:

=aside= Gil
It seems you've got a Paul subtheme going on here.
From your plot descriptions:
Paul and Agnes....
Paul, depressed from his recent break-up....

:)

Offline oilgun

"J" is Je t'aime moi non plus (1976)
« Reply #4968 on: September 11, 2008, 02:03:37 pm »
Celluloid Hottie:  Joe Dallesandro

Plot:  The petite waitress Johnny works and lives in a truck-stop, where she's lonely and longs for love. She develops a crush on the garbage truck driver Krassky, although her sleazy boss Boris warns her that he's gay. Maybe because of her boyish looks, Krassky likes her too. Both don't notice the growing jealousy of Krassky's boyfriend Padovan - until an escalation.

==Comment==
I need a cold shower!

==Aside==Fran
I actually tried to find another movie with a character named Paul after you pointed out the Paul pattern.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 03:43:20 pm by oilgun »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"K" is Kettle of Fish (2006)
« Reply #4969 on: September 11, 2008, 02:31:39 pm »
Plot:  A lifelong bachelor confronts his intimacy issues when he sublets his apartment to a fetching biologist. His heartsick fish and his wise best buddy are on hand to provide perspective.

Hottie John Buffalo Mailer

With Dad Norman.
(I've seen him around Ptown, in a bathing suit, even.)