Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2587974 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"U" is Uncle Joe Shannon (1978)
« Reply #5120 on: October 02, 2008, 10:16:31 am »
"Uncle Joe Shannon" featured Burt Young, who appeared in "Kicked in the Head" with Linda Fiorentino, who co-starred with Paul Newman in "Where the Money Is."

From Answers.com:

In this tearjerker, an impoverished jazz musician falls into a deep depression following the deaths of his wife and child in a terrible fire. Just as the man begins to contemplate suicide, he encounters a handicapped youth. The two become friends and manage to shore each other up through their rough times. Maynard Ferguson dubbed the trumpet playing.
~ Sandra Brennan, All Movie Guide   

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"V" is Venditore di palloncini, Il (1974)
« Reply #5121 on: October 02, 2008, 04:20:07 pm »
Stars Lee J Cobb who was also in EXODUS with Paul Newman!

From IMDb:  LAST MOMENTS (video) – This video that is many years old, 1974, has recently become a part of my collection. Viewed on the same day as I received it via ebay, I saw it once before when my ex-boyfriend and his mother tried to spoil it for me by making comments. You either love this type of film or hate it. Again stars Renato Cestie as the little boy trying to do good. (See "Last Snows of Spring"). This features a young boy trying to make a living out of a puppet show when his mother abandons him and his father. The father has turned to drink, the mother to prostitution. An Italian film again dubbed. The little boy lovingly saves all the money he can in a tin for his father and wishes for his parents to reunite. His wish comes true when he collapses and is diagnosed terminally ill with malnutrition. Touching scenes between nun and patient, a little bit of "treatment" shown in this one i.e. injection, but all in all again it avoids explicit medical scenes. The child has to be nursed in a library as the hospital is full and the corridors themselves have patients in beds. Also called "The Last Circus Show" this film sees the child enjoying his last circus and being visited by "God" in the shape of "The Balloon Vender." I loved it anyway.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"W" is Where The Money Is (2000)
« Reply #5122 on: October 02, 2008, 05:56:29 pm »

IMDB: This little movie is all about Paul Newman - it's a heist flick, not of the same caliber of The Sting, but good fun nonetheless. Ole Blue Eyes at 75 yrs old still has more charisma than the current, top 5 highest earning movie stars combined. Linda Fiorentino has great chemistry with both her co-stars - no surprise there. She's so good, it's a shame she's not given more dialogue to chew on. Dermot Mulroney is every woman's complete package - OOFA! Catherine Keener (his real-life wife) is a one happy woman. This is worth seeing on the big screen!!

Offline Fran

Wildcard "X" is The Helen Morgan Story (1957)
« Reply #5123 on: October 02, 2008, 11:55:29 pm »
Paul Newman played Larry Maddux in "The Helen Morgan Story."

From IMDb:  The career of singer Helen Morgan is followed from her early days singing outdoors in a carnival, through her speak-easy and chorus-girl days, to her stardom on Broadway in Ziegfeld's "Show Boat". Her involvement with Larry Maddux, a gin-runner and con-man, and Russell Wade, a prominent, married New York lawyer, and her decline thanks to these failed romances and alcohol are punctuated by performances of many of the songs she made famous.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 10:07:29 pm by Fran »

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"Y" is Yesterday (1981)
« Reply #5124 on: October 03, 2008, 08:41:55 am »
Stars Cloris Leachman who was in THE RACK (1956) with Paul Newman

Sorry, I couldn't find any images related to the film.

Plot:   During the Vietnam conflict, a young American Hockey Player, Matthew, goes to college in Canada on a scholarship. There, he meets and falls in love with a beautiful young French-Canadian coed, Gabrielle. After a stupid stunt, Matthew loses his scholarship and is faced with having to return to America where he will become eligible for the draft. His grandfather, having served in the military, encourages him to do the right thing and to do his duty. At first, Matthew is conflicted, staying in Canada but soon realizing his inability to provide adequately for Gabrielle. He enlists in the army and goes to Viet Nam. While there, Matthew's heroism costs him greatly. Gabrielle is told thru a letter that Matthew has died in Viet Nam. She is pregnant with his child, something she never got to tell him. After the child is born, Gabrielle decides to travel to America and visit Matthew's mother and grandfather to show them their new grandchild. While she is there, Gabrielle discovers that Matthew is not dead, but has been Seville injured. Now confined to a wheelchair, with both legs gone, Matthew lied to her so that she would go on with her life, unburdened with him and his special needs. The film ends with their heart-wrenching reunion at a veteran's hospital and Matthew meeting his child for the first time.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Wildcard "Z" is The Left-Handed Gun (1958)
« Reply #5125 on: October 03, 2008, 12:59:48 pm »
Paul Newman played Billy the Kid in this film, based on Gore Vidal's play.

Offline Fran

Re: ABCs at the Movies: Westerns!
« Reply #5126 on: October 04, 2008, 09:40:37 am »
Westerns!

Offline Fran

"A" is Adventures of Frank and Jesse James (1948)
« Reply #5127 on: October 04, 2008, 09:46:22 am »

From IMDb:  Jesse James returns to Missouri, and he and brother Frank come to the aid of a young woman who owns a gold mine. Her father was murdered and she took over the mine, and now the villains who killed her father are trying to drive her out of the mine so they can take it over.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"B" is The Ballad of Cable Hogue (1970)
« Reply #5128 on: October 04, 2008, 11:54:39 am »

IMDB: When Cable Hogue is left in the desert without any water, double-crossed by his partners Taggart and Bowen, he prays for God. Four days later he finds a spring on the stagecoach line en route to Deaddog City. Cable meets the preacher Joshua Sloane, who advises him to claim for the land. He rides to Deaddog, where he has an encounter with the prostitute Hildy. Also, financed by the local banker, he builds a stagecoach stop helped by Reverend Joshua. Later, Hildy is expelled by the dwellers of Deaddog and she moves to Cable's place, becoming his lover. She invites Cable to move with her to San Francisco, but Cable wants to revenge first against Taggart and Bowen.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"C" is C'era una volta il West (1968)
« Reply #5129 on: October 05, 2008, 06:09:55 pm »
Sergio Leone's brilliant 1968 film, aka Once Upon a Time in the West.  #19 on IMDb's top 250!

Plot:  Epic story of a mysterious stranger with a harmonica who joins forces with a notorious desperado to protect a beautiful widow from a ruthless assassin working for the railroad.