Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2582043 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"W" is Wages of Sin (2007)
« Reply #5340 on: November 12, 2008, 02:11:24 pm »
AKA "Chicago Cop"

Plot:  A deep cover agent is framed after a botched sting operation and the assassination of two undercover officers.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Wildcard "X" is Barbershop (2002)
« Reply #5341 on: November 12, 2008, 04:05:40 pm »
Plot: A day in the life of a South Side Chicago barbershop.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"Y" is Yippie (1968)
« Reply #5342 on: November 12, 2008, 05:24:01 pm »
From AllMovie.com:  Filmed on the ground in Chicago in 1968, this ten-minute documentary was produced by the Youth International Party. This newsreel focuses on the Yippie presence in Chicago and introduces the infamous pig that the Yippies ran for president that year. While the production values are impressively low, even for an off-the-cuff production, the film does contain some interesting footage of protesters and police against the backdrop of the city.

I don't know if this is from the film, but here's a photo of Pigasus's "arrest":

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Wildcard "Z" is We Believe: Chicago and its Cubs (2009)
« Reply #5343 on: November 12, 2008, 06:47:33 pm »
"In production."

=aside= Fran
Keep believing!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
ABCs at the Movies: The "After Boston, There's Only Heaven" Round!
« Reply #5344 on: November 12, 2008, 06:53:44 pm »
The "After Boston, There's Only Heaven" Round!

Films with a Boston or Bostonian connection

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"A" is The Autumn Heart (1999)
« Reply #5345 on: November 12, 2008, 07:31:56 pm »

From IMDB: When a school bus driving woman (Tyne Daly) has a heart attack, she makes one request of her three daughters (Ally Sheedy, Marla Sucharetza, Marceline Hugo) - she wants them to find their long lost brother, who was taken away by their father (Jack Davidson) 16 years ago. What they discover is that while they have struggled, their father has become a wealthy man and their brother is in school at Harvard.

=aside= Paul

Wicked awesome theme.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 05:03:50 pm by Fran »

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
"B" is Blow (2001)
« Reply #5346 on: November 12, 2008, 07:38:04 pm »
From Wiki:

Blow is a 2001 drama/biopic film about the American cocaine smuggler George Jung, directed by Ted Demme. David McKenna and Nick Cassavetes adapted Bruce Porter's 1993 book Blow: How a Small Town Boy Made $100 Million with the Medellin Cocaine Cartel and Lost It All for the screenplay. It is based on the real life stories of George Jung, Pablo Escobar, Carlos Lehder, and the Medellín Cartel. The film's title comes from a slang term for cocaine.

Plot

The film opens to a young George and his parents Fred (Ray Liotta) and Ermine (Rachel Griffiths).George's father never wanted to argue in front of the boy. The boy's father supports his family in Weymouth, Massachusetts by running a small plumbing company. His mother is constantly complaining that the family has no money and badgers her husband, asking him what they are going to do. Finally, despite Fred's relentless efforts to keep the family afloat, they eventually have to file for bankruptcy and lose everything. The boy decides then that he will not let the same fate befall him.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
"C" is Celtic Pride (1996)
« Reply #5347 on: November 12, 2008, 08:07:12 pm »

From IMDb:  The National Basketball Association play-offs are taking place, and the Boston Celtics are facing the Utah Jazz in a crucial series. This is also the last year that any games will be played in the Boston Garden, which is going to be torn down after the end of the season. Mike and Jimmy, two die-hard sports fans who will risk anything for the Celtics to win, are really getting into the games. The Celtics would be a sure win if it weren't for Lewis Scott, the cocky, loud-mouth star of the Jazz. After Scott himself punishes the Celtics in a bad loss, Mike and Jimmy decide to take things into their own hands by kidnaping Scott and holding him until after the crucial game takes place.

=aside= Bostonians
Excellent theme!!!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"D" is Dealing: Or the Berkeley-to-Boston Forty-Brick Lost-Bag Blues (1972)
« Reply #5348 on: November 12, 2008, 11:01:35 pm »

Plot:  This was a great little Saturday night flick that kept me laughing and highly entertained. This was actually a fairly intelligent teen comedy for the day without the Adam Sandler style inanity. The director had some very interesting techniques that really kept my attention. There was the guitar solo that was sung off-key, but by the end of the song, it really worked. The cool "dealer" kid all buffed out in his shades, sitting on the pot, and somehow devolving into an infant. The big dope deal, and just after our hero departed the house, every cop on the West Coast descends upon it. I really liked it, and I wish it was available on re-release somewhere.

With John Lithgow (with hair) and Barbara Hershey, and a script by Michael Crichton!

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"E" is The Exchange (2000)
« Reply #5349 on: November 13, 2008, 12:29:17 am »

Plot: In Boston, the four Naldoff brothers make a comfortable living running money scams. But the youngest brother, Lee, is dangerously attracted to the excitement of the underworld lifestyle. When Lee puts a hit on a wealthy businessman, he unknowingly pins his brothers and entire family up against a ruthless Chinese Mafia gangster. Lee and his brothers, Michael, Matty, and David, but join forces to untangle the situation which seems impossible to get out of.