Author Topic: The First Time I Saw Brokeback Mountain....  (Read 17353 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
The First Time I Saw Brokeback Mountain....
« on: January 10, 2008, 09:48:34 pm »
For me, December 27 marked my two year anniversary of seeing Brokeback Mountain. I saw it by myself at a theater in Boston. In retrospect, I am glad it worked out that way. What about others? What was your experience the first time you saw Brokeback? Vote in the poll and share your thoughts!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: The First Time I Saw Brokeback Mountain....
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 10:53:22 pm »
I saw Brokeback with my friend Jane, in German, on March 11, 2006 - (I put it up wrong in the poll!)  two days after it opened in Germany at #1.  It spent two weeks at #1 and then dropped to #2 and was in the top 10 for weeks afterward.

Notable quote:  'Well, the sex wasn't much,' Jane said - used to the frank and uninhibited morals of European films and televisoin.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 10:58:28 pm »
Mar 1, 2006.  Middle of the day, by myself.  A theater I hadn't been to before.  No clue what I was in for...

:P
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 11:05:22 pm »
A cold, rainy friday, December 16, 2005, by myself at Coolidge Corner Theatre in Brookline, Massachusetts. 

I was getting out of work early, checked the listings, oh, there's that Brokeback Mountain thing opening today. 

Good thing I always carry a handkerchief.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 11:14:15 pm »
Sunday afternoon, December 18, 2005, the 4:00 show, at the Ritz East theater on Second Street here in Philadelphia. I have the ticket stub to prove it.  ;)

I was with a friend.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

injest

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 12:47:23 am »
Plano January 2006, with my husband

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 07:50:52 am »
Tuesday, March, 21st, 2006. Saw it with Kerstin in a theatre. We both had no idea, but she even less ... she only knew it was about two cowboys who were brothers ... guess she was more than a bit WRONG  ;D

Jeff, I also have the ticket stub. It's in a frame together with pics of Ennis and Jack and my very first Brokie meeting.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 07:58:08 am »
Notable quote:  'Well, the sex wasn't much,' Jane said - used to the frank and uninhibited morals of European films and televisoin.

:laugh: My husband said the same thing after he saw it.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 08:21:07 am »

I saw it the first time on Jan. 5th.  2006 and I was with my lovely Kelsey.  I was able to hold
my opinion until back in the car. We discussed it for two days.  At which point I went back by
myself and watched it again..  Two days later I got my husband to go with me and saw it
yet again..  I went a week later trying to keep  the theatre from sending  it on.  I wanted it
to stay long enough for others to see it too.  I went back once more and saw it before it
closed. 

I think I must have seen it around 120 times all together.

Beautiful mind

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 08:24:40 am »
I saw it in the cinema on Wednesday February 22nd. The night it opened here in Belgium. My husband was with me. And he was with me the last time I saw it too. Bless him.  :)

That's what the film reviewer in my newspaper said too.  ::)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Scott6373

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 08:42:18 am »
I saw it the first weekend it opened, in a small theater in Cambridge, MA.  It was cold and lots of people were out and about shopping. I remember leaving the theater not quite knowing what I had just witnessed.  I snuck back 3 days later to watch it again.  This time I was alone.  I sat for a long time after it was done.  I knew what I had seen that time.

Odd that you should start this thread now.  I just watched it last night for the first time in well over a year.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 03:11:46 pm by Scott »

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 09:17:53 am »
I saw it the same day as Janice at the Grandin Theater in Roanoke, VA. It had opened there that afternoon and the place was packed with people. I went with two other people, one of whom I had to explain to the dozy embrace was a flash back.

When it got to the part where Jack told L.D. to "sit down you ole' son of a bitch", the whole theater applauded.

When it was over I was knumb, the next day I read the short story and went to the website for the film and posted a comment. It felt like something had been unblocked it me I didn't know was stalled.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 12:37:03 am by Shakestheground »
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 09:41:17 am »
Well, I saw the movie for the first time April 9th/10th (it started at 11pm) 2007.
My life has not been the same since. I will never forget that night.
My wife was out of town, my daughter was in bed. I was totally alone. after the ovie I felt evenmore alone.
I was so unprepared for the emotional backlash i would feel after seeing it.
Below is an excerpt from my first entry in my blog written a few days after viewing the movie and finding my way to Bettermost.

After seeing the movie for the first time 15 days ago I have been an emotional train wreck. I have seen an image of what my life might be like if I don't make some changes. I'm more like Ennis in that I can't accept my true nature and am so withdrawn from my true self that i can't trust any of my feelings. I have been living in a closet prison of my own construction.

Funny that, now I would say I'm more like Jack. I'm out and free and for the mosty paart still optimistic seeing the future in a better light. I have had a few setbacks but I am getting through them.
Im sending up a prayer of thanks for  Annie Prolux and the older Cowboy she witnessed in that Wyoming bar, Ang Lee, Heath, Jake  and the people they brought to life Our beloved boys Jack and Ennis. Most of all I'm thankful I found my way here and have made friends I will have for life!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 02:20:54 pm »

I saw the movie on a Tuesday night in early January '06.
Lost my appetite for days after that. Lost about 4 pounds because of it...lol.
Went back on the Friday after that.
And the Saturday following that.
And the Sunday after that.
Went online and joined the discussion in IMDB..
Was still  in a bit of a daze for weeks after that first day I saw it.  :)

moremojo

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 03:00:44 pm »
I first saw Brokeback Mountain on a very cold Saturday night on February 18, 2006. I had gone to see it accompanied by my mother and sister.

I remember while standing in line for the tickets seeing the poster for the rerelease of Michelangelo Antonioni's The Passenger, which I had never seen but really wanted to, and feeling torn between films. After seeing the life-changing Brokeback Mountain, I could barely even think about any other film for a long, long time.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 06:36:42 pm by moremojo »

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 07:35:29 pm »
The first time I saw Brokeback Mountain was Jan 6th 2006.   I was with my daughter and three of her friends.  I carried around the ticket stub in my purse for about a year then I stuck it in with my poster.   

I loved the movie and went to see it several times after again that, by myself, with my husband,  and wiith a gf.  But mostly alone.

I had no idea it would change my life so much but it has!  And I wouldnt change a thing.  J&E will be in my heart forever.

Offline nova20194

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 08:28:59 pm »

After several months of anticipation, I saw Brokeback Mountain the day it opened in Washington, DC, December 16 2005, at the Dupont Circle 5, a small "multiplex" in the Dupont Circle area of DC.  Dupont Circle has long been known as one of the gay neighborhoods in the DC area.  BTW, the Dupont Circle 5 theaters will be closing after this weekend.  I saw BBM alone on Friday afternoon Dec. 16 in a theater full of mostly gay men.  I remember many laughing when Alma saw Ennis and Jack kissing, but I didn't think it was funny.  After the movie, I met a few friends in the area for dinner.  They wanted to know about the film.  I was moved, but I had mixed feelings.  I knew I wouldn't be able to get it out of my head.  I told them that I liked it, and I knew I had to see it again, but I wasn't exactly sure what to say.  Two days later, Sunday morning, I went back to see it again.  Fortunately, I had bought a ticket on line, because BBM, which was showing every hour on the hour from 11:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m., was completely sold out for the entire day.

I watched it again, with the same type of audience (primarily gay).  While mostly quiet throughout the film, they found the scene where Alma sees Ennis and Jack kissing amusing once again.  The main reason I mention this is because I saw the film five more times in another theater with a more mixed/straight audience and I don't remember any laughter during that scene.  I was much more moved after this second time I saw BBM.  When I left the theater that day and walked down the street, I broke down in tears about a half a block from the theater.

I cried all the way home.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 09:09:44 pm »
J&E will be in my heart forever.

Amen friend! You can say that twice and mean it!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Br. Patrick

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "So what're we gonna do now?"
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2008, 09:23:16 am »
January 23rd will be my second anniversary of this life changing film~!  I came as prepared as I could as I had cried over the Short Story.   I never expected to have emotional 'whiteouts' where there was no sound and only white light.  That continued for my first 11 viewings when Alma cried at the Living room window when Ennis drives off with Jack after the four year reunion.  Never had experienced anything like before or since~!

{{{Cyberhugs}}}

br. p
Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road
In a world that may say that we're wrong.

...Cause I know - A love that will never grow old.

Gustavo Santaolalla & Bernie Taupin

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 09:41:09 pm »
I saw it December 10, 2005, the day after it opened in NYC, in a movie theater in Chelsea, a neighborhood known for being a gay mecca.  I was with three female friends I'd met online as fans of Lord of the Rings.  They were all writers of "slash" fiction in that fandom, and were atwitter at the prospect of a movie with A-list stars in a bonafide gay relationship (two of them had seen it twice the day before and were on their third viewing already).  I'd been rolling my eyes at them for a couple of months as they grew in anticipation of the opening of BBM.  I went along because I was interested, but also to be part of the in-crowd.

I'd read the story, unfortunately.  I'd love to have been surprised when Ennis found the shirts.  Nevertheless, I teared up at the end.  We went to brunch at the Rodeo Bar afterwards and talked for about 5 hours straight.

Well, of course it haunted me.  Months after my oh-so-enthusiastic friends had moved on, I was on IMDb and BetterMost, avidly discussing the film and forging new friendships.  It's funny, isn't it, how Fate singles you out and decrees "Thou shalt be a Brokie."   :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 11:19:10 pm by Meryl »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2008, 09:44:12 pm »
It's funny, isn't it, how fate singles you out and decrees "Thou shalt be a Brokie."   

You can say....... Well, you know!  ;D
It is so true.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2008, 09:48:41 pm »
You can say....... Well, you know!  ;D
It is so true.

Ain't it just?  Glad you were singled out, too, Friend.  ;)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 09:59:14 pm »

All of us here. Just amazing.

Thanks to everyone who has shared their story. I love reading these. More, please?
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 12:27:01 am »
My life was changed on Saturday, December 8, 2006 when BBM premiered on HBO. I only knew it was a movie about "two gay cowboys", and had no knowledge of the unfolding plot. After my husband left for work I watched it by myself. When the movie finished, I could not understand my intense emotional reaction.

I was also unable to decipher the last line of the movie, and raced to the internet and typed in 'Brokeback Mountain' and eventually came upon the Bettermost forum. I was very glad that there was already in existence, a community of support for what I had just been through emotionally, because I thought I was 'nutso' for having such a strong reaction to it. I was an emotional wreck inside for days, and wondered how to broach the subject of the movie with my husband since I wanted to share the incredible experience with him, but I did not know what his reaction would be. After a few days I casually mentioned that I'd watched BBM, though inside I was far from casual or calm. BBM aired again on HBO about a week later and he watched it with me, and I could hardly contain myself inside, sneaking glances over at him to see if he had been as affected as I was during certain parts, or if I was indeed 'nutso'. (jury is still out on that...LOL).

Anyway, I just had to own the DVD and went in search of it that following Monday and bought it at a local Super Target.  I felt like it gave me something to hold onto, a piece of Jack and Ennis, while I pondered what I had experienced, what it all meant for the main characters as well as for myself. The forum was so helpful in those first few days, weeks, and months following my first viewing. It also made me resolute to go on the Alberta Pilgrimmage - I felt compelled to meet people who were similarly, deeply affected by BBM.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 09:52:25 am »
Me too Meryl, Me too!

BBM-Cat
I felt compelled to meet people who were similarly, deeply affected by BBM.
I know the feeling. Thats why I went to San Fran. I had to go. It was at a time when I wasn't sure How I was going to be able to but by God I was going. I did and I'm so glad. That one decision has changed my life almost as much as deciding to watch the movie.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2008, 02:52:35 pm »
BBM-CatI know the feeling. Thats why I went to San Fran. I had to go. It was at a time when I wasn't sure How I was going to be able to but by God I was going. I did and I'm so glad. That one decision has changed my life almost as much as deciding to watch the movie.

Ain't it still amazing what has happened in the aftermath of this movie?
This need to reach out, to contact other Brokies, first online, then in person is one of the best presents Annie and Ang and all the others gave us. And the same thought of thankfulness goes to Phillip for providing our place.

And whenever I'm a bit envious when I read how often US BRokies find their way to each other I think of Kerstin. I'm the most lucky of us all. I have found the best friend a person can have through BBM, she's my RL friend and fellow Brokie - and she lives right here, only two streets away from me. In fact, I gotta hurry now. She'll be here in a few minutes and we'll have a night out together.

And don't get me started on Brokie travels - Best. Thing. Ever.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2008, 08:47:54 am »

I first saw Brokeback Mountain at its very first public screening in Australia, on 26 January 2006 (the Australia Day public holiday), at the Broadway cinema complex in Sydney. It was a hot, high-summer day and we were glad to be in the air-conditioned cinema.

I went to the morning session with my dear friend, George, and we were surprised to find the theatre packed (unusual for a morning session). It's in a trendy part of the city, close to the gay precinct, and there was a sprinkling of celebrity A-Listers in attendance. It was an eclectic mix of gays and straight, probably slightly more women than men.

Though the theatre was full, there was not so much as a whisper throughout the screening. And at the end, most people stayed respectfully to the end of the credits, with lots of sniffling and nose blowing evident.

We had heard the publicity, though knew nothing of the actual plot, and were curious to see the movie. I think I may have been expecting something trashy and crass, because the local media had been pushing the "gay cowboys" line. Nothing could have prepared me for the life-changing event that was to come. I was a lamb to the slaughter.

I had not read the short story and, indeed, had never heard of Annie Proulx (boy, have I made up lost time on that score), so the ending was a totally traumatic revelation to me.

We went to lunch afterwards and talked non-stop about different aspects of the plot and how we should interpret the ending. We missed a lot of what was said by Ennis because of his mumbling, but we agreed that that was an endearing and integral aspect of his persona. Little did I know that I would still be discussing it two years later.

There were tears of course. Great, gushing, wailing sobs. That happened often, in the early days, and more so when I got the CD, book and screenplay. At times, I couldn't read the printed page for the tears. All I could do was put the book down and sob out loud.

I saw it about 20 times at various cinemas around the city (many more times on DVD), sometimes with George, sometimes alone. It ran for over two months in Sydney. A long run for this town.   
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2008, 09:21:05 am »

And don't get me started on Brokie travels - Best. Thing. Ever.

That's great Loneleeb3 & Pent - I hope I get to meet you all!

Kerry - what an intense, gripping experience - you're right, it was traumatic! Well put. Glad we are all functioning better now. LOL
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2008, 09:29:30 am »
                                     "Thou shalt be a Brokie."

Meryl that should be on a souvenir or a glass or a pillow.  it encompasses everything about why we are here.

We didn't choose it.  It chose us.

Beautiful mind

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2008, 10:25:52 am »
                                     "Thou shalt be a Brokie."

Question to our High Priestess and sentinel of the Cult-thread: is this already part of the Cult-thread? It should be!

That's great Loneleeb3 & Pent - I hope I get to meet you all!

My flights are already booked  :D Looking forward to meet you!

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2008, 02:58:36 pm »
My flights are already booked  :D Looking forward to meet you!

Me too - flights booked! How crazy is that!? Oh wait, no one here will think that is crazy, nevermind. LOL

Maybe for the 4-year reunion we could get shirts

The 11th Commandment: "Thou Shalt Be a Brokie"

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2008, 07:32:37 pm »
The first time I saw Brokeback Mountain was on Saturday, March 4, 2006 which was the day before the Oscars were aired. I saw it on a DVD at home by myself. I would have never thought or even considered that the movie would have the effect on me that it did. I had wanted to see it, but I truly believed it was just going to be a movie. I never expected the punch I received from it. I wanted to see it somehow before the Oscars which I did. I am still in disbelief that I actually heard the words "Crash" when they announced the best movie of the year. A few days later I went to the theatre by myself to see it on the big screen. The effect on me was the same as it has been everytime I have seen it since.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2008, 08:33:38 pm »
Maybe for the 4-year reunion we could get shirts

The 11th Commandment: "Thou Shalt Be a Brokie"

;D  ;D  ;D

Question to our High Priestess and sentinel of the Cult-thread: is this already part of the Cult-thread? It should be!

You know, we do have a Ten Commandments (here) contributed by spottedreptile in the elder days when we resided at the Pierre Tremblay board.  Maybe I'll add it to these.  :)

The 10 commandments of Pierre Tremblay

Posted by spottedreptile Tuesday March 14, 2006

1. Thou shalt be strong of mind, and loving of heart.

2. Thou shalt not bait the troll, nor shalt thou tremble before it.

3. Thou shalt honor this board and all true believers who are contained therein.

4. Thou shalt be ever grateful to the goddess Annie Proulx and all her offerings.

5. Thou shalt not succumb to temptation, when some foul infidel dost defile her offerings.

6. Thou shalt not flee this haven for in doing so thou shalt betray thy honoured brethren who depend upon thy support.

7. Thou shalt be ever vigilant in defending this haven in all times good and bad, down to the smallest fibre of thy being, for this is a worthy place and
     attractive to enemies as a pure light attracts those who live in the dark.

8. Thou shalt hit without mercy the Blessed Tools provided for thy use, e.g. the Ignore Button and the Report Abuse Button.

9. Thou shalt sing songs of praise and joy regarding Brokeback Mountain to clear thy mind of dark thoughts and hopelessness if enemies arise, for
    arise they will.

10. Thou shalt remember that the infidel Troll dost draw strength from darkness and the weak capitulations of others, and therefore thou shalt pity
      the Troll, as it does not have a life.

11.  Thou shalt be a Brokie.

YEEHAW
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2008, 10:14:26 pm »
I saw it on Friday, January 6, 2nd feature on opening day.  I took a 1/2 day off at work as I knew evening features and SaturdAY and SundAY features could possibly be a sellout and I didn't want to have to wait any longer.

I must have arrived at the theater an hour and half early and glad I did as a line had already formed.   I remember talking to the guy in line in front of me who had driven 2 1/2 hours to see the film.  The audience was very enthusiastic and really into it.  The air definitely reeked of "premiere" not that I've ever been to a film's official premiere, but I know there must an air of excitement for such a thing.     

After I left the theater, I though "Oh that was a good movie." Then I started thinking about more and more as it all sunk in.

Offline ZK

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2008, 07:02:08 am »
I hired the DVD and watched it in mid April 2007, I had to take the next day off work and rewatched it several times, I was a shambles. This time last year I would never have believed my life would be changed by a movie but it has set me on the path for the rest of my life

Offline min

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2009, 03:53:03 pm »
Saw BBM at Regent on Worcester theatre in Christchurch on March 29 2006.  I was with an ex-colleague.  My reaction was that it was an excellent love story, and my God, Jake Gyllenhaal is hot!  My friend thought that Heath Ledger was the hot one.  But BBM didn't grab hold of me until I watched the DVD I bought in August 2008.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2009, 04:19:14 pm »
I saw it for the first time on January of 2006, after reading an advance article in the Kansas City Star a few months before and getting curious about it.  Hadn't read the short story, never heard of anybody in it other than Randy Quaid and I just had a very general outline of the plot so I didn't have any particular expectations.

For some reason, the first viewing didn't affect me quite as much as the second. In January there were only a few theatres in the KC area showing it, and I went to the nearest one, which was way over on the Kansas side of the metro area. It was a sold-out show, as was the second viewing, this time closer to home, about three weeks later.

Advance-ordered the DVD from TLA Video, and it landed in our mailbox the very day the DVD was officially released. It was a wide-screen version, but I've bought a full-screen one since then. Have lost count of how many times I've watched either of them.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2009, 01:23:43 pm »
I am not a regular movie goer, mainly because I just dont think to go to the movies, but for some reason, I watched the local papers here waiting to see when Brokeback Mountain was going to come to our local theatre.

The movie had all ready opened in the Capitol cities, but I live in a large country town, and knew that it would be a month or two before it was released here.

I had recently become friends with a lady in town, and mentioned to her that I was waiting for BBM to be released, she said, she was too, so we said we would contact each other when it happened.

It was early March 2006, finally, and I rang my friend and we arranged to go to a morning session on the second day of release here. Most of the audience were women, but there were a few men who I guessed were probably gay.

I had read only one review of the movie, which did not shed much light on the movie, I remember the "gay cowboy" phrase, and in my mind I was thinking it would be cowboys in the old wild west, and I was intrigued how they were going to portray a gay theme for those times.

So my first shock was when the 1963 date came up on the screen, and I think it was then, that I realized that this movie was not going to be anything like I imagined.

To say, I sat there spellbound, is an understatement, at times I thought someone had written a story about my own life.......as one of Ennis's children. I could actually feel myself gulping air, sometimes even wondering if I was going to miss taking a breath.

I must admit, I did not understand a lot of the dialogue, and strained to decipher what was being said at times, particularly by Ennis. I did not understand the dozy embrace, thinking that there was a production error there somewhere, because one minute Jack had a moustache, and next minute he didn't. When Ennis was waiting for Jack after the four years, I kept thinking that Jack was going to break Ennis's heart, by not responding to the reunion, the same way, as I could see Ennis so excited about it....then when they had that memorable embrace, my fears were put to rest....only to be physically sickened when Alma opened the door and saw them.....and then another fear set in, as to what was going to happen now.

Then the rest of the movie, was will they end up together, why does Ennis have to be so dam paranoid, the frustrations, made me want to stand up and yell out....for Christ sake, be together, stay together, it will work out.

And then Jack getting killed.....I must admit I was one of the many viewers, who did not notice the DECEASED stamped on the postcard, so when Ennis started talking to Laureen on the phone, was when I realized that Jack was gone, and then the scene showing him getting bashed, was, I assumed, was the way he had died. The feeling of finality for Ennis, the thought that for the rest of the movie there would be no more Jack and Ennis together, made me feel so empty.

And then the shirts at the end.......I honestly could hardly breathe, and I was sobbing like a baby.

I walked out of the theatre, like I had just been in a different lifetime, that I had been carried away to be included in Jack and Ennis's life. At the same time, I was feeling like I had been there before, that I had been part of it all before......and I had in my own life.

I couldn't even speak to my friend who had been with me. I walked to my car, and I sat there, and I remember pouding the steering wheel, and crying, even yelling, not even sure what I was saying, but I could hear this loud noise coming out of my throat, mixed in with the sobs.

I went back to the theatre three more times in the following two weeks to see it again. I couldn't stop talking about it to my family and friends, but I soon realized they just did not understand what I was feeling.

Then I got the idea to look it up on the net, to maybe read some more reviews, or to try to get some more information on the movie, and also to give me a bit more insight into so many things in the movie that I did not understand. I just wanted to get as much information about it as I could.

I went into Yahoo, because that was my main search engine, and while browsing, I found the Yahoo message board on BBM. OH thank goodness, I thought, I am not the only one going crazy over this movie. I think I read every post written on that board. Eventually I made my way to Bettermost, and here I am, still here, still fascinated by how a movie can move so many people, bring so many people together, change so many people's lives.

Whoever did it, howevever it happened, I would never want to change this journey.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2009, 02:05:36 pm »

I don't know how I managed to overlook this poll for so long! Interesting stories Buds!

I saw BBM for the first time in a theater in Pittsburgh (I saw it 5 times in the same cute little-ish indie movie house) early in 2006.  I can't quite remember if it was January or February.  I have a very bad memory for dates like that (when it comes to almost any topic).  I seem to recall that it didn't open in Pittsburgh until early 06, and I saw it very shortly after it opened here.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2009, 03:21:34 pm »
I saw Brokeback in Montclair, NJ on Dec. 26th of 2005.

Christmas that year fell on a Sunday.  Because of that, the banks were closed Monday, so I had an extra day.  Most of my friends had work, so I had decided I was going to see Brokeback alone.  However, my mom decided she wanted to see it with me, and we went.

I expected to be able to get a seat quickly.  Instead, the line was out the door.  We were told we could see the viewing we wanted, if we were willing to sit in the front row.

That's what we did.

From that day on, I was a Brokie.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2009, 03:24:40 pm »
Did your Mom like it?
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2009, 06:39:50 pm »
Did your Mom like it?

Yes, she thought it was a very well done movie.

However, I couldn't react to it fully with her there.

My mom has a fear for me, that I'll have a Matthew Sheppard style attack in my future.  I had not read the short story before seeing the movie.  I knew it was out there, but I refused to read it.  Any time I've read a book, then seen the movie, I always leave feeling "the book was better".

So that I could enjoy the film fully, I swore not to read the book.  As a result, I had no idea about the tire iron scene.  When that scene happened, I bottled it up, because I knew if I reacted to that, it would freak out my mom.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2009, 07:41:16 pm »
I shudder when I think of your mum seeing that scene, Chucky.

Has she ever spoken about how she felt?

I have never asked my mum to watch Brokeback, because my mum was a replica of Alma, even down to a similar experience to Alma opening the door and seeing them. I guess that's why I nearly threw up when I saw that scene.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2009, 07:58:35 pm »
I shudder when I think of your mum seeing that scene, Chucky.

Has she ever spoken about how she felt?

I know how mom feels.....she's told me about it before she saw Brokeback, and I had the gay pride tatttoo on my arm.

She worries about gay bashing.  I told her I'm careful, and mindful of my surroundings.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2009, 08:02:44 pm »
Aw, Chuckie, that's so sad about your Mom's fears, but very thoughtful of you. 

Your future holds much brighter things.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2009, 08:59:18 pm »
Aw, Chuckie, that's so sad about your Mom's fears, but very thoughtful of you. 

Your future holds much brighter things.

Thanks, big brother!

My mom's fears have calmed some since I first came out almost 12 years ago.  I haven't allowed those fears to be transfered to me.