Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3116359 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #1050 on: July 11, 2006, 05:51:52 pm »
Yep you most certainly need to keep on reading!! Fast! *grin*  :D

hee hee!  uh oh, Helen is catching up!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #1051 on: July 11, 2006, 06:09:11 pm »
Possible SPOILERS ...

Louise, the last few chapters have been amazing!
Chapter 79 was just so special ...
I loved their little commitment ceremony, and to think that Ennis initiated it!  :D
As I read their vows to each other, I was reminded of the scene in A Love Borne from Steel by our very own Leslie here, where Jack and Ennis were at the fair in Quanah and decided to buy each other rings, putting it on each other's hands and saying simply: "That's it".  Seems very simple, but to them, it was like a wedding!

With Ennis saying: “To us. You belongin ta me, an me belongin ta you.” and Ellery replying: “To me belongin ta you, an you belongin ta me,” - they have essentially wed in my eyes!

Here's a toast to E & E:  :-*

how very very sweet Lucise.  I am glad the angst of the past two days led to some definite resolution and we can all breathe a momentary sigh of relief.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1052 on: July 11, 2006, 06:11:59 pm »
Milli, 

I see you figure out how to read the story while at work. :)  I was wondering how come you can edit and post those pictures at work, but not reading the story. 
I just cut and paste them in a Word document and pretent that I am working.  :P   Don't tell anyone, ok?

Hehe Jenny.
I dont edit most pictures at work, simply because I dont have my paint program here.
But other simpler stuff, I can do while at work.
Also, I choose not to read the E&E updates at work because I like to do that at home with a nice glass of wine!  ;)
But today was different!  It's been abit slow too!  ;)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1053 on: July 11, 2006, 06:14:21 pm »
Thanks for the great compliment, Milli, one of my favorite scenes in the whole story, to be honest. Just a few points of clarification...they didn't decide to buy the rings until after they were on their fingers...it was more of a spontaneous thing. And they each put their own ring on (ie, Jack put his on his own right hand ring finger). When Jack put his on, Ennis reached over and touched it and said "That's it," then Jack did the same thing for Ennis. If anyone feels like re-living this moment, here is the chapter:

http://lazylfarm.livejournal.com/7490.html

Leslie

Oh Leslie, I have the entire 'A Love Born from Steel' series printed out   ;), so I can go back and read that chapter.
Thanks for correcting my mistakes there ... 8)
When I was reading Chapter 79, that scene came to mind!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1054 on: July 11, 2006, 06:18:26 pm »
how very very sweet Lucise.  I am glad the angst of the past two days led to some definite resolution and we can all breathe a momentary sigh of relief.

Err..Louise, is the keyword there: momentary?   :)
I am just happy to see Ellery calming down a little, although we all know he is not over it yet!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1055 on: July 11, 2006, 07:00:20 pm »
Oh Leslie, I have the entire 'A Love Born from Steel' series printed out   ;), so I can go back and read that chapter.
Thanks for correcting my mistakes there ... 8)
When I was reading Chapter 79, that scene came to mind!

Hey Lucise...

My ulterior motive was to get Louise to read that chapter...I know she hasn't gotten that far yet. Hint, hint, Louise are you listening?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David

« Reply #1056 on: July 11, 2006, 07:06:43 pm »
I still like blond Nate, myself...the one in the Dawson's Garage baseball cap.
L

Well,  the Blonde young Nate is the one whose tool I'd prefer,  but the older Nate strikes me more as the unappealing one from the story.  More of a good ol boy mechanic.   I think the point was that he was an unlikely person to be gay in Laramie.  Thats why Ennis was upset by his advances.    The hunky blonde Nate wouls have made Ennis blush as he got upset.  LOL.

So Older Nate is my choice for the story.   Young blonde Nate needs to get over to my house ASAP!    he he he!   

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1057 on: July 11, 2006, 07:08:47 pm »
Well,  the Blonde young Nate is the one whose tool I'd prefer,  but the older Nate strikes me more as the unappealing one from the story.  More of a good ol boy mechanic.   I think the point was that he was an unlikely person to be gay in Laramie.  Thats why Ennis was upset by his advances.    The hunky blonde Nate wouls have made Ennis blush as he got upset.  LOL.

So Older Nate is my choice for the story.   Young blonde Nate needs to get over to my house ASAP!    he he he!   

Watch the movie for a good eyeful of young blond Nate. "Adventures in Babysitting." It has a lot of first-time performances of folks who went on to bigger and better things...one of my all time favorite teen movies.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David

« Reply #1058 on: July 11, 2006, 07:25:55 pm »
Hi Leslie!

Hmm,   I'll have to watch for that on TV.  The older Nate is actually "Cooter" the mechanic from the TV series the Dukes of Hazzard.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1059 on: July 11, 2006, 07:27:34 pm »
Hi Leslie!

Hmm,   I'll have to watch for that on TV.  The older Nate is actually "Cooter" the mechanic from the TV series the Dukes of Hazzard.

Blond Nate is Vincent D'Onofrio who was in the Salton Sea and a regular on some TV series, I believe. This was his first big role (and it wasn't that big, but he was memorable in his time on screen).

L