Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3126278 times)

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #8370 on: December 04, 2006, 03:26:32 am »
                              we love you more today than yesterday louise,,,but not as much as tomorrow...                                          thatnk you with all my heart..........janice

Aw Janice ~ that's so beautiful  :)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8371 on: December 04, 2006, 03:59:13 am »
I couldn't resist this.
Click on the link and then scroll down to see the name of the village.   :laugh:   ;)  Cute!

http://www.thevillages.com/homes/vls/detail4.asp?vls=203056
                       very cute and sweet, if only they could live in such a town too...thanks for that one...                                                                                             janice

Beautiful mind

Offline christie wood

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #8372 on: December 04, 2006, 06:15:33 am »
I just need to say this.

I love Ennis.
I love Ellery.
I love Jack.

Thanks, Louise

L

Leslie, that was beautiful and I am so glad you said it, because its how I feel too. 

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #8373 on: December 04, 2006, 06:19:30 am »
Leslie, that was beautiful and I am so glad you said it, because its how I feel too. 

Love Ennis, Jack and Ellery - warts and all!

Got a soft spot for Jeremy and Nick as well.

What is it about these boys?
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #8374 on: December 04, 2006, 06:36:38 am »
Love Ennis, Jack and Ellery - warts and all!

Got a soft spot for Jeremy and Nick as well.

What is it about these boys?

Oh yeah Jo, me too.....they are just so loveble...the way Louise writes them, how can you not love them?

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8375 on: December 04, 2006, 06:48:36 am »
You know it's weird, but I've got a kind of real post wedding reaction going on.

You know when you're building up to or anticipating a wonderful event, such as a wedding, or a loved ones birthday, something like that, you've got the constant pleasant buzz of anticipation. Then afterwards you have the vague feeling that something is missing - but you can't put your finger on what. I know the event is over, but it hasn't quite sunk in yet.

That's how I feel.

Karen

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #8376 on: December 04, 2006, 08:08:12 am »
good er, morning everyone.  I didn't think I would stay up after 4 a.m. but... I did!

Leslie (MaineWriter) proposed the Laramie Saga Rereading to begin today, so that those who did not get a chance to discuss the early books, would have a forum to do so as a focused rereading. (While you all wait for me to write the next story!)

I think it is a capital idea (as Jeevesy would say) and I'll get the ball rolling.

I started "Taking Chances" and conceived it as something along the same size and scope as my first BBM fan fic "A Warm Wind Blows"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/446.html

which is a short story in 9 brief chapters.  At that time I posted on another forum "I do not believe Ennis would ever have a relationship with somebody else after Jack's death."  I wrote that, I believe, on the 24th of April.

And I woke up on the 3rd of May and had conceived how Ennis might go about doing this exact thing.  And so he walked in the door of a semi-private Billiard Club advertised in a magazine he read at the library:  The Red Stallion.

But Ellery, soon to be the main love interest of the story - is nowhere to be seen.  My original concept for the story was Ennis would go to the bar, a young pup (Pete, who now has no spleen) would throw himself bleeding and dirty into his arms, and Ennis would come face to face with the ugly realities of the Queer World... help the kid out, learn about the dirty underside of closeted relationships, and make a friend of Pete.  Then bid a hasty back to Riverton, profoundly shaken, but wiser from the knowledge that there are other queer men in the world, and that he is not alone.  (End of story.)

But that isn't what happened.  Ennis had other ideas, and so did Bill.  (And so did Pete.)

I don't know if this is of interest at all, but judging from how differently the story unfolded from the way my original plan was, I write purely from inspiration, and that is partly why I do not like to make my living at it.  I have been a professional writer in a deadline-oriented environment - and I will tell you right now, it sucks.  The entire joy of writing and sharing that writing, is to be uplifted by an inspiration and barrel away at 140 words a minute... and twenty pages later - there is a character there, with a life, and a problem, and a plot, telling me how it is going to be next.

And that is how the Laramie Saga happened.

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #8377 on: December 04, 2006, 09:09:03 am »
Hello everyone!  I found my way here through one of Louise's messages at LiveJournal.  I can't believe what I've been missing!  I hope you have room for one more!  I would love to participate in a re-read of the Laramie Saga.  I must admit that I've probably "re-read" many chapters countless times already!  I just love that first day that E&E spend together - so may great moments. 

I can see that I have a lot of catching up to do!  I'm going to go take a look at the "Gallery" now.  Do I need to try and read all 500-plus pages that have been posted so far?  LOL!  I look forward to talking with all of you and, of course, re-reading this wonderful, beautifully written saga.  I'm also anxiously awaiting "Dupree's Choice" - I love Jeremy and Nick! - and the other continuing stories!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8378 on: December 04, 2006, 09:19:01 am »
Good morning, Marie, welcome! We are glad to have you here!

You can go through these 500+ pages if you want...lots of good stuff buried in here. Or you can just dive in now and join us on this re-read journey.

Speaking of re-read, folks, how do you want to approach this? I am thinking we could read five chapters per day. Each day, I could post the link to the first of the five chapters and then you could use the arrows to scroll to the next.

What do people think?

L
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 09:23:19 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline christie wood

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #8379 on: December 04, 2006, 09:21:23 am »
Hi Marie and welcome.

I came to the party a little late too and although I intended to read through all the pages never quite got round to it! 

I love Jeremy and Nick too, I'm keeping my fingers crossed things work out well for those boys.

In the meantime, re-reading Taking Chances is a wonderful way to pass the time....that first day they met, was wonderful, Marie, I agree, and its always good to go back to something to see how things have come along since then.